iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

27" bandsaw wheels from old bandsaw, heavy enough for bandmill?

Started by Kelvin, August 29, 2008, 10:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Was just wondering what you guys thought about using some bandwheels from and old bandsaw for a bandsawmill.  I was thinking of using the old bearings, and cutting the lower wheel from its castings and using the lower bearings as well.  It has tension rod, tracking adjustment already.  don't know if they would handle the horse power, maybe 15hp elec. or 15-20 gas.  It was a very heavy bandsaw, with 2 belt drive.  I know bigger wheels are better on band blades, but my woodmizer is 19", is 27" too big?  Trying to make something simple that would work better than a shop saw for a beginers sawmill for my buddy.  Any thoughts?  Too lightweight?
Thanks
Kelvin

Left Coast Chris

Since the wheels are 27" they must have ran a wider blade?  2" ?  If so they should be plenty heavy for a more narrow blade assuming they are cast iron.  When I built my mill I used 19" air compressor pullys made of cast iron.  No problem.   If you are going to also try to use the frame, it may not have been designed for reorienting to horrizontal then adding the weight of the motor/engine.   Depending how heavy the original frame was designed, you may need to beef it up to take the weight of the engine when in the horrizontal position. Food for thought. :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

mike_van

I don't know why they wouldn't work, but I'd watch my fpm when your done. 5000 and below you should be o.k.  The cast 24" Browning Poly V sheaves I used have cast into them 'max rpm 860'  which I stayed under, winding up with 4800 fpm which works well with 10 hp 3 phase driving them.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

solidwoods

Instead of taking a bandsaw apart just to put it back together.
How about leave as is, remove the table, mount it vertical or horizontal on a track (put wheels on it) and boom done.
Electric is a better way than gas because of vibration.
It won't be able to make the fpm. that your used to because shop saws don't apply near the blade tension that bandsawmill do, but it should mill just fine.
The only limit would be the blade opening size would limit it to no lg. dia logs.

My personal opn. if someone is going to sawmill then get a mill or build one with off the shelf items.  Use proven designs and don't cheap out.
If someone says I just want to mill a little bit, I say hire a sawmill to mill your logs.
Sawmillers do it right the first time, know what they are doing, and the charge is very little.  For lumber for a wood worker a sawmiller in just a couple days can mill more lumber then a woodworker can use in a yr.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

logwalker

Quote from: solidwoods on August 31, 2008, 07:55:34 AM
It won't be able to make the fpm. that your used to because shop saws don't apply near the blade tension that bandsawmill do, but it should mill just fine.
The only limit would be the blade opening size would limit it to no lg. dia logs.

jim

I have a 36" Powermatic vertical bandsaw that applies 2300 kg to the blade. So I think that it might be a mistake to put that blanket on the horse.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!