iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bit sharpening

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 11, 2012, 08:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Recently, I've been working with a client getting her shed frame ready for the raising this coming Saturday.

We have been doing some frame fit up and boring all the holes for all the pegs.

Her bit for the one inch pegs was one that goes into a standard brace. This bit was dull and wouldn't bore a hole worth beans at all.

We then used her boring machine and she had a one inch bit for that and it worked great.

I took her bit over to my partner Tom Perkins house and asked him to sharpen it for me/her. So we could use it today.
While there, I had him sharpen one of mine as well, so that I'd have a back up.

I brought my camera and took some pictures of him doing it.

First of all, I took pictures of his file he uses to sharpen bits.
This file only has cutters on one side. The back side is beveled and it is a different file then I have ever seen before.

Here is this file:

And here is the cutter side view:

Next he put the bit into the vice and held it firmly there.
And then he filed the slope of the cutter:

After he did both cutters, he re-positioned the bit so he could sharpen the spurs that hang down:

We used this bit today and it cut the white pine like butter.

I hope this has helped you to understand how to sharpen your bits.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

Jim
Can you locate what the file is called, and where the file can be purchased?

In the last pic, the camera picked up the edges that were still not sharp.
Do you have pics showing those edges after filing?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

This is the bit file that we used in my telephone company pole climbing days.  It has teeth on two edges and smooth on the other two.

http://www.fine-tools.com/G-augerbitfile.html
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shinnlinger

I get the files magic posted from Midwest....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

SwampDonkey

Might even be able to use Arkansas or Japanese stones or water slip stones. I know they can be used on forstner bits. Most times I think a good honing is about all that is needed unless the bits have been chipped/dented from abuse.

Now, I'm no sharpening expert. Just a suggestion.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

True SD.  Sometimes keeping something sharp with regular touchups is better than getting something sharp.  Of course like you said, unless you hit something, then bring out the big guns.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: beenthere on January 11, 2012, 08:19:13 PM
Jim
Can you locate what the file is called, and where the file can be purchased?

In the last pic, the camera picked up the edges that were still not sharp.
Do you have pics showing those edges after filing?

Here is one of the two bit he sharpened:

The spurs that hang down from the bit, are just to score the wood so that the bit can cut the wood cleanly.
I hope this has helped you to see where to sharpen your bits.

Jim Rogers

SwampDonkey

Honing that rough filed edge there would throw the chips better. Notice how the rest of that bit is polished smooth/honed. A little wax helps to.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mikerat

files and sharpening tips can also be found at www.leevalley.com

Lee Valley has great tools.

Mike
WM LT28 logrite 30,48,60 canthook, huskys and stihls, Logrite Buck Arch I have met the best people on this site!

Red Pill

Quote from: mikerat on January 14, 2012, 08:51:53 PM
files and sharpening tips can also be found at www.leevalley.com

Lee Valley has great tools.

Mike

Amen to that! Love Lee Valley.

SwampDonkey

X 2. Can't buy nothing worth a spit around here that even comes close to their quality.  8)

Al_Smith

We used big long "ship augers " to drill through power poles with a 3/4" Milwaukee arm breaker drill. I think the longest I have is around 36".

I've used both a triangle file as well as a knife file to dress them .

Those or the auger bit by the OP do just fine if you keep them sharp. You're better off if you "peck drill " a deep hole. Meaning take a bite then pull it out repeatedly to clear the chips on a deep hole. If you don't you'd better have a reversible drill because they will hang as tight as a bulls' behind in fly season.

gspren

I spent over 40 years in machine shops so I like good files but I have sharpened a few bits with the little diamond coated file on my Leatherman Wave because it was what I had when I needed it.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Magicman

When I was drilling holes through utility poles, the only power was "man power".   :-\  We always had sharp bits.

SwampDonkey

Father had an inverter under the hood of the pickup to use power tools like drills out in the field to fix harvesting equipment and to weld. ;)

Al_Smith

Quote from: Magicman on January 15, 2012, 08:53:20 PM
When I was drilling holes through utility poles, the only power was "man power".   :-\  We always had sharp bits.
Oh no ,brace and bit ,ugh . :(

Magicman

Brad_bb

Auger bit file seems to be available from Nickolson.  I saw it on Amazon.  Maybe I should try one?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!