The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: My timber frame build  (Read 79664 times)

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
Re: My timber frame build
« Reply #540 on: December 09, 2020, 09:57:03 AM »
Update 12/8/2020:

After a couple weeks of unseasonably warm weather down here, I figured the snow should be gone up at my property.  Right at the freeway exit there was snow on the side of the road :-\  My camera wasn't working first thing so I couldn't get a before picture.  There was still a 2" layer of crunchy, icey snow.  So I spread my burn pile ashes to give traction and hopefully some solar gain when the sun hits it later in the day.

Well, a nice plan but here is just after 12:00

Two little windows of sun poking through the trees.  I did, however, manage to drive on it with the SkyTrak and completed some final winterizing.  Even was able to trim a 8x12x12' down to a 8x10.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #541 on: December 09, 2020, 11:18:52 PM »
Glad you were able to do your winter prep chores.  Nice find on the tank!

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #542 on: December 13, 2020, 10:24:38 PM »
Update 12/11/2020:

I spent the last week cleaning up and painting the tank (just the black angle iron on the lid, the legs and the two silver angle iron rings - the rest is stainless steel).  A big storm was predicted to move in yesterday (Saturday) and today so I went up with my fishing buddy to move my tank up before I couldn't.  Still no snow melt during the week despite a warming trend.  We went up Friday and now I'm fully winterized.  Here is the tank stuffed in along with all my other toys.

As we were leaving around 2 pm on Friday, there were some flakes floating down.  Saturday gave a little snow (couple inches) but today it dumped all day and expected to continue through the night.  Probably a foot at my place.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #543 on: March 10, 2021, 09:04:54 PM »
Update 3/10/21:
Haven't trekked up the hill in quite some time.  Lots of little snow storms.  Had one blow through today.  This is the hill a bit lower than my property.  Snow accumulated all the way down to 2,500'.

One year ago (3/15/20) it looked like this.

The News just said the ski resort just above my property got 30" of snow so far this week.  That means I got at least half that much.
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #544 on: May 15, 2021, 01:33:43 AM »
Update 5/14/2021:

I've been working through the winter (when not helping my buddy with his rental repairs) on my sawmill.  I did a total rebuild of the head and a little on the carriage that you can see here: Sawmill update

I went up on Thursday with my cement mixer and temporary staircase on my flatbed trailer.  The goal for the day was to get the water working, reinstall the pump in the bath house, replace the seat on the SkyTrak, make a pad for my camping trailer and unpack all the stuff stored under the deck.

I started on the water system.  Last fall I was filling gallon jugs to have this spring just in case I couldn't get the pump going right away.  Well, I forgot to open the drain when I was done so a little freeze damage.  I cut the left end off so I could unscrew everything.  It split from one end to the other.

I didn't have one needed fitting and no glue so I just pieced what I had together (semi-jamb fit) and that allowed me to fill my 330 gallon tank in just over 2 hours.  I was able to hook up everything in the bath house without any issues :)

I got one of those warehouse rolling stair things for free.  It was a damaged unit, held together with that special OSHA approved strapping tape.  I took off the tower part that was badly mangled and saved the stairs and railing.  I reassembled the railing and used the SkyTrak to install and it works pretty well for a temporary access to the deck/first floor.

Next up was the seat.  I got it off but no match up with the new seat.  So I headed home to butcher the old seat to use as a mounting adapter for the new seat.

Back with glue and needed fitting today to finish the well hookup and install the seat.  The well is now good.  The seat slider doesn't work (too tight) but a lot more comfortable and won't be getting a wet rear from the exposed foam on the old one after rains.  I decided to pull the new water tank out from under the deck.  A little finagling with the SkyTrak and I got it out and set up out of the way.

Comparing to the ladder, its about 12' tall.

So on to making a trailer pad for my pop up trailer (My neighbors that let me use their cabin that last few years sold and moved to Oregon).  After about an hour of popping rocks, leveling and rolling, I got it to a point I'm happy.

And its close to the bath house.  But, pulling away I heard a leak and then started to see hydraulic fluid spraying in the engine next to me.  This section of my dirt road should stay dust-free for a while!

I pulled the short hose and ran it down the hill to drop off at the hydraulic shop.  Will be ready Monday first thing.
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #545 on: June 02, 2021, 07:56:55 PM »
Update 6/2/2021:

I went back up with the hydraulic hose on Wednesday, 5/23 and used the SkyTrak to get the trailer into its pad.

And then popped it up on Friday, 5/29.

I planned to stay up for two nights.
I had gathered two pieces of one cedar tree and rescued a section of another cedar tree out of the campground's dump.

Early Saturday morning, I realized I left all my sawmill blades at home, Doohh!  So a quick hour home and hour back.  A short while after I got back, my Niece's husband (Justin) arrived to mill all the cedar up into 2x4's and 1x4's for a fencing project at his place.

This was the trial run of my rebuilt mill.  Had a few issues that I documented here: Another Sawmill Build

But, was successful in finishing up the logs by Sunday lunchtime.  I had planned on milling a big cross beam from one of my Ponderosa logs sitting since last fall but a needed repair on the mill prevented that.  Since I had a spotter, I decided to take down a few of the dead firs now threatening my cabin.  I had once thought they would make good beams but my milling/drying experience with fir changed my mind.  You could smell the fermentation going on in these logs once I started cutting.  They all fell where I wanted with the top third of the most uphill log exploding when it hit the ground.  Pretty rotted out.

Justin did a great job of piling the branches in the burn pile almost as fast as I was trimming them off.  Now I just have to wait until December or January when they lift the burn ban :-\
John Sawicky

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #546 on: June 05, 2021, 02:47:29 PM »
It is so good to see you back on the hill again.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #547 on: June 05, 2021, 03:14:32 PM »
I'm looking forward to some big progress this summer, John.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #548 on: June 18, 2021, 02:24:19 AM »
Update 6/17/2021:

Went up today with the redone mill lift system - upgraded from 1/2" to 3/4" ACME rods and the chain path to keep it from hopping sprocket teeth.  I had the butt end of one of the cedars and used it as a test.  I decided to cut it thick and made 4 slabs ranging from 3" to 4-" thick.  The first two are book matched and have a very interesting grain pattern.  It looks like the sapling got bent over 90 and didn't spring back.  The tree continued to grow and righted itself encapsulating this bit of history.

I'm going to try and sell these green on CraigsList.  If they don't go, they should dry out over the summer and I'll make some coffee tables or mantels.  It was 96 at 9pm and now down to 87 at 11:30. :-\  Who needs a kiln with weather like this!
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #549 on: July 19, 2021, 01:49:24 AM »
Update: 6/19/2021 - 7/18/2021

Last October, I finished up the posts for the "north" bent first floor but November 11th snow put a stop to the work.  The guy I got a load of cedar from (ALL full of iron) also included one nice Ponderosa pine.  Back on June 19th, I milled that up for the 8x16x24' beam for that bent.  Turns out, that tree also had a lot of metal :(  But, was successful in getting the beam.  I had to put all the brace and joist pockets in and then place it up on the cabin first floor joists.

Three large nails near the center of the log.

Cut the end off and ended up being my new landing/steps into my bath house.  Got to make lemonade, right?

I went up July 9 to drop my son off and a 9 day camp and lined up the three post and one beam and a bunch of braces for the first bent.  I had help show up 7/10 where we test fit posts with braces and then assembled the bent, raised it up with the SkyTrak and put it in place.

Had a little issue with the north-west post sitting down so persuaded it with the SkyTrak.

Went to assemble the second bent on Sunday but discovered I put some brace pockets in the wrong place :-\  On the first bent, I miss-placed the 5x8 loft joist pockets by 1/2".  Not a big deal so I combined the first bent beam with the second to keep the joist in line, switching back and forth between the pages.  I used the bottom brace measurements from the first beam on the second. ::)

So during the week fixed that and cut some more braces.

I had help 7/17 (three of us in total) and raised the second bent.  Lessons learned from the first go made this bent go up a bit faster.  Sunday morning two of us trimmed up three of the nine 5x9x11' joists to fit in the joist pockets between these bents for the loft.

I have a total of 38 pockets to cut for the joists so I cheated a bit with power tools.  I made this jig and used my router to cut the 1" deep pockets in three passes.

Just a little cleanup squaring the corners and cutting the final pocket depth of 8".

On track to have bent three (of five) up this coming weekend.
John Sawicky

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #550 on: July 19, 2021, 07:05:19 AM »
Good to see the first bents go up!  Congratulations.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #551 on: July 19, 2021, 03:27:34 PM »
Yay, it's good to see stuff standing up!!!  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #552 on: Yesterday at 02:31:09 AM »
Update 7/24-29/2021:

Worked at getting the 3rd bent ready to go up.  Brought up my "Roust-a-bout" to help where the SkyTrak cannot reach.  We test fit every post with it's braces before assembling the bent on 7/24:

It can lift a load up to 1,500 pounds 15' up.  The side posts were green and probably several hundred pounds.

Checking the center post last.  Only to find out I cut the brace pocket in the wrong place.  Done for the day!

On 7/28, I trimmed and fit the 6 remaining 5x9 joists for the loft above the two bedrooms.  Sorry, new phone and trying to get the exposure right (Auto is not the correct choice!):

This morning, I cleaned up the cutoffs from the beam and made fourteen 4x6x8' brace stock.  Then I spent an hour horsing this log onto the mill and re-leveling the mill...

(still the wrong exposure...)  I made a few starting cuts and this will become a 10x16x26' beam and two 8x10x15' posts with some side wood (likely brace/girt stock), all FOH.  To be finished this weekend.
John Sawicky

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
First Timber Frame Build

Started by aguaman99 on Timber Framing/Log construction

27 Replies
Last post February 02, 2019, 03:24:33 PM
by aguaman99
xx
Not Timber Frame but a build question...

Started by SPD748 on Timber Framing/Log construction

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2015, 03:33:59 PM
by fishfighter
xx
My timber frame build pics.

Started by Tim_W on Timber Framing/Log construction

19 Replies
Last post February 09, 2020, 05:21:10 PM
by BCsaw
xx
Wanting to build my own timber frame