iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Customer's projects pictures thread

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 11, 2014, 10:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtime lurker

Just the builder hosing it off post construction, the homeowner will be doing the finish themselves. The shame of it is that in 12 months it'll probably be a muddy brown colour or starting to silver off depending... but you can see why it's one of my favourite flooring species.

Sometimes you just have to enjoy the moment.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

doc henderson

what species?  guess I missed it.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

longtime lurker

Syncarpia glomulifera, commonly known as Turpentine or Red Lustre.

It's actually a fascinating timber... it has a high level of oleoresins in the bark and sapwood with a distinctive turpentine smell (hence the name) and is rated as the most durable wood in the word for wharf pilings because the extractives make it resistant to marine borers. Somehow or another despite the extractives it's also rated as one of the most fire resistant: Untreated timber of this species is equivalent to 'fire retardant treated' timber when tested in accordance with AS3837, which can be a selling point for public buildings and high rises that have to factor fire retardant properties into account.
It's heavy enough at around 60 lb/ft3 at 10% MC, with a super fine interlocking grain that means it polishes well with plenty of ribbon, and is very resistant to indentation - stiletto heels won't mark it - so its regarded as one of Australia's premium flooring and decking species... but it seems to saw and work well unless it's full of silica, which isn't uncommon.

And most mills do not saw it. Reason being is it has a shrinkage rate of somewhere around 13% tangential and 7% radial, and will turn itself inside out if you don't take a lot of care in seasoning... and the superfine grain means it is a slow dryer that cannot be pushed through a kiln without significant - and very careful - air drying first. From a business perspective that's a drawback because your money is tied up in the stuff for an extended period but the margins if you can hold out that long are quite good.

We, of course, are not most mills. Despite it's issues its one of my biggest money makers and I can't get enough of the stuff.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

JJ

If you harvested that locally :P, you are way way south of here..
gorgeous wood, thanks for sharing

JJ

longtime lurker

And a considerable distance to the east as well. :D

caveman

Live oak table built by a customer using wood he got from us earlier in the summer.  He sent me the pics yesterday.

Caveman

WV Sawmiller

Not fancy finished work but I am real proud of the timber frame barn this customer made from the posts and beams we cut over the last year.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

caveman

The same guy who built the live oak table pictured a few posts ago, sent me some pics of another piece of furniture he built this week.  John and I quartersawed a large laurel oak that I cut down in a neighbor's yard.  

This customer typically prefers to build using live oak due to being able to make a glass smooth finish, but he deviated from his normal routine when he saw the laurel oak.  He ended up buying all that we had, somewhere around 400 bf, if I remember correctly.  What I do remember is that when he paid, I let him know that he overpaid by over $200.  He told us that we did not charge him enough for what he was getting.  He has bought wood from us several times and is a valued customer.  

Caveman

Resonator

Those are the best kind of repeat customers that you build a business with. When their number comes up on the phone ID, you start smiling. ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

cutterboy

Beautiful table. I'd never want a table cloth to go on it but I'm afraid most women would be quick to put one on.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

FactorySeconds

I love this credenza piece from one of our best customers. Walnut and resin.

Walnut Beast

Crusarius

I would love to see more of that. That is incredible.

Resonator

Wow! :o
I hope there is some backing wood reinforcing all that diagonal grain.

FactorySeconds

Yeah, those guys put out some truly special pieces. You can find them on pretty much all social media @thenorthernjoinery. I believe they post the most pictures on Instagram. 

Magicman

On this project I was both the sawyer and the customer:

Planed/edged these 1X6's down to 7/8 X 5 Wednesday.  Then this morning 6 of us built a ramp at the church to eliminate a step.  

That is a 4' flat and then 7' slope toward the boxes that are holding the last board down until the Liquid Nails sets.

And then it extends 9 more feet to the existing stairs.  The joist are 2X6's on 12" centers.  Carpet will be placed over this.

We have had one person to trip and fall thankfully without any injury.  This should take care of the problem for the future.  

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Daburner87

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 07, 2022, 10:20:04 PM
 Not fancy finished work but I am real proud of the timber frame barn this customer made from the posts and beams we cut over the last year.

That looks amazing.  Out of curiosity what is the process of mounting timbers on top of those cement piers?  From here they just look like cement blocks but the picture is small, and hard to tell.   Or do my eyes deceive me?
HM130Max Woodlander XL

Magicman

I finished the project at the church that I started on the 21st to eliminate a step and make the hallway wheelchair available.

See Reply #465 above.

I finished laying the 2X2 carpet squares today and these old bones are dog tired.  

I have to put the shoe molding down and raise the door headers 7" and reinstall the door casings/facings so not much left to do..    
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Resonator

So if Magic Man installed it, that makes it... "Magic Carpet"? ??? ;D

Magicman

:D  Actually the magic was the last square that went down.  I sailed off to bed about 8:30 last evening and my butt muscles were a bit sore this morning. 

My plan is to go back Tuesday and install the shoe molding and thresholds. 

DanMc

Well done, good and faithful servant!!!!!
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

Magicman

My contribution is finished.  All of the baseboards, shoe molding, thresholds, and doors are completed. 

There is one more item left to do which is a handrail but someone else volunteered to do that.

doc henderson

looks great, inviting, and well done.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Most of the pictures here are woodworking projects or crafts. I am proud to post some the lumber I sawed in use by a many time repeat sawing and sales customer to build a 3 BR addition on his cabin/home here in WV. What we finished sawing today is earmarked for more work here.

This white pine siding I sawed off one big pine here on my place. I sold him 1060 sf of mostly 1/2" X 8" assorted (mostly 12') lengths. He has completely sided the addition of a 3 br/1 Ba addition.

Here are 3 ancient American chestnut beams I resawed a week ago for this customer. His buddy was up from Orlando FL area helping him hang the drywall and such and they needed the beams for immediate use so they brought them over and I resawed them to 7" X 8.5" 15' beams. These will be used to support a sleeping loft the customer figures will be a big hit for visiting grandkids. I sawed stairwell runners for the ladder yesterday and today out of the customers logs.

EDIT/ADD-ON: BTW I asked the customer how he got the beams in place and he said he hooked a chain fall to the brace above and used it to lift them He said they were too heavy for him and his buddy to lift, hold and work with otherwise.

These 4" X 8" tulip poplar crosspieces/braces (I don't the proper term for them) are some I sawed and sold this customer a year or so back. (I had forgotten about sawing them but they sure look nice!).

I don't know about the rest of you but I felt like a new parent seeing my workmanship being used for a forever home for a customer and as an attraction for his kids and grandkids to come visit. He told me yesterday he had to make a video of me sawing the lumber as his 3 y/o grandson wanted to see how it was done. 8)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Start them out young!!
I have a 25 year old grandson that love trees.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!