iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sorry in advance, but another sticker question

Started by Raym, September 12, 2014, 09:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raym

I have an abundance of 3/4" X 1" X 4' PVC. this is a byproduct of a product that I manufacture. It is solid PVC and not pipe. Are there risks/dangers in using these as stickers? They will go into a kiln so not sure how they will react with the high temps. I think I asked this before but it was amongst another thread so though I would ask again.
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Glenn1

Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

GAB

What is the melt temperature of the PVC you're thinking of using?
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

Test drive a piece.  Put it in with your next load and see what happens.

No kiln, but I had a customer to sticker with this.

Yup, bamboo cane and he was stickering Cherry, lots of Cherry.    :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Use it, see no reason it wouldn't work once they are in place and held down by the next layer.

Do imagine that keeping them in place could be a hassle when making the layers... as they will want to roll.

Another question would be the stack weight.. and either the pipe concentrating load and exceeding the crushing strength (compression perp to grain) or the load exceeding the crushing strength of the PVC at kiln temps that you reach.
  Edit.. my error, thinking this was pipe, not strips.  I was thinking inside/outside diam.  ::) 9/13/14
But as suggested, try the pipe on the next kiln charge. You may have found a great solution to cutting stickers.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Resolute

The heat stability of PVC is very poor, when the temperature reaches 140 °C PVC starts to decompose. Its melting temperature is 160 °C. The linear expansion coefficient of the PVC is small and has flame retardancy, the oxidation index is up to 45 or more.
Polyvinyl chloride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Raym

Quote from: Resolute on September 12, 2014, 01:03:34 PM
The heat stability of PVC is very poor, when the temperature reaches 140 °C PVC starts to decompose. Its melting temperature is 160 °C

150 is as high as I run it and that is at the end of a cycle for bugs and such. if my math is right, 140 °C is 320 ºF

Quote from: Resolute on September 12, 2014, 01:03:34 PM
The linear expansion coefficient of the PVC is small and has flame retardancy, the oxidation index is up to 45 or more.
Polyvinyl chloride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Huh ???
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

Quote from: WDH on September 12, 2014, 08:33:20 PM
I think it would be fine.

Me too.  My only concern is that it would be difficult to move the stack with a forklift without having the layers roll apart. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sandhills

If I'm reading this right 3/4"x1"x4', should be rectangular not circular?  I'd at least try it once.

LeeB

Quote from: Raym on September 12, 2014, 09:26:38 AM
I have an abundance of 3/4" X 1" X 4' PVC. this is a byproduct of a product that I manufacture. It is solid PVC and not pipe. Are there risks/dangers in using these as stickers? They will go into a kiln so not sure how they will react with the high temps. I think I asked this before but it was amongst another thread so though I would ask again.

You read right. Solid PVC and not pipe. Should work fine.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

Quote from: sandhills on September 13, 2014, 10:15:05 AM
If I'm reading this right 3/4"x1"x4', should be rectangular not circular?  I'd at least try it once.

Thanks for that catch.. I was thinking pipe and inside/outside diam. Either read it too fast or the OP was edited.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

backwoods sawyer

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!