iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New toy coming...tenon cutter..

Started by zopi, August 20, 2015, 06:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zopi

Just ordered one of these..it should be here monday or so. I will post my results....
https://youtu.be/aekkC-PtWek
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Hilltop366

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

submarinesailor

Can I borrow it?? ;D ;D ;D ;D :D
Bruce

Lud

How much.......round numbers?    Your router?  Threaded rod, nuts and make some clamps , one might think you could build a similar unit.  Just sayin'...........
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

zopi

Yes...I could have built it...and lots of other stuff I don't have time for.
I bought the X2 version...package that came with two router motors, and I bought a set of self advancing forstner bits..1 inch to 3 inches.
The two motors oppose one another put a chamfer bit in one and a flute bit in the other...makes a step tenon which has more surface area to glue, and if you put the step through the mortice it can be slotted and wedged.
The pros fore is that I can cut a 90 degree shoulder tennon on a larger log that is big enough to be structurally sound in light building construction....ie the uprights for a small pole shed.  The cons...the depth of the tennon is limited by tue amount of travel...so you can't make dowelling or timber pegs....but I have a solution to that anyhow...
Total bill with shipping was right under 500 bucks. I can sell a bed frame and pay for that. The economics of this vice the pencil sharpener types is what sold it. Whole setup for the price of a couple or three sizes the other way. This thing wil cut a tennon from 7/8" to 7"....bigger with a little co structive modification.

The fellow who sells them is a right nice guy too.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

For those who are afflicted with them...this is the answer to Trees of Heaven. Those perfectly straight trunks.....yesss....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

21incher

That is a great looking setup. Sure beats the other option of needing different bits and holding on to a big drill. Post some pics of your projects using it.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

zopi

The routers arrived today...harbor fright units...but I have had some decent luck with their small electric tools...tested them...work ok.
Stopped at blue big box store to get some router bits...right. junk. Picked up a small set of forstner bits to work stuff smaller than an inch...and a cheap 2" chisel that I promptly cut the handle off of and mounted it into a handle to make a spud...also works ok...I will probably refine that though...we have some ash poles cut at the farm ought to do...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

kensfarm

Interesting..  kinda like a wood lath.. but a router for your cutting.  I could see building it so that the router moves back/forth.. like an attachment for an existing lath. 

zopi

I am already considering mods to move a router out towards the middle...far enough to make foot long pegs...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

isawlogs

I see many  applications for this... I now need more shop time ...... thanks  :-\     :D :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

zopi

Neighbor is over there decking his new porch. "You gonna put rails on that?"

"Sooner or later, why?"

😆
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

hackberry jake

Looks similar to the way my router lathe works. I haven't used it in years. This may just spark my interest.
https://youtu.be/2bQAn5Jgrt0
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

zopi

Well...it has arrived and been assembled...but it is to bloody hot to go out amd fool.with it.

It showed up just as advertised, pretty well made..obviously hand made, and the parts that need to meaty are.  A router bit that I did not expect was thrown in for me. Sweet deal.
I will get some.pictures when I get it set up.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

It works quite well...simple to use and the tennon size is infinitely adjustable....which can be a drawback...but hey. It works. I only have one of two router motors set up for now...I can set one up with a swept bit like this..or with a 45 or 60 degree chamfer bit and the other with a straight bit to cut a smaller 90 degree tennon which gives some flexibility in fastening...makes drilling and pinning the joint a safer bet. I think that for most folks the single router is plenty...but since I was buying it...smart math says go ahead and get both.
I am going to concoct a much better strongback than what is shown here...the tool will wind up mounted horizontally...90 degrees from where it is now to facilitate using both motors.
The only real drawback I see to this setup is that  the length of the tenon is limited. If that gets to be a problem for me it is not a major challenge of the engineering arts to  built a more flexible router mount....but for now, I think I will  learn to use what I have.
This is not a high production machine like the tenonizer or whatever...but it is certainly fast enough that with some though put into workflow it can go pretty quick.
It is not necessary to use the handcrank tailstock...one can just drill the center hole and cram it on the feed screw and spin it by hand...or chuck a hanger bolt in the drill and drive it with a hand drill...I might try that once...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Just Me

I use something like that on my lathe, but the router moves. Slick!

One thing in the video that I do not like is how he turns the router on fist before mounting the piece. One slip and the piece goes into the bit.

Larry

zopi

His literature is not very well developed yet...I get the feeling this thing is quite new.

I have been off my feed for a few days...but I tossed a cedar log on to the mill yesterday and split it..then hauled my carcass out to the woods and brought back some dead standing pine. Saddle stand coming up in the next couple of days.

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!