iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

preserving history

Started by Reddog sawmill, June 10, 2017, 07:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog sawmill

I am 27 years old and have grown up around antiques my whole life.my grandfather was and uncle still is an antique dealer my father restores antiques. I have done a bit of dealing and restoration but for some reason at the ripe old age of 14 i got sawdust in my blood and began saving up money for a sawmill. I bought my first bandmill at age 19 and soon found myself running a woodmizer lt40 full time for a pallet manufacturing company. I now run a meadows production circle mill full time but that is besides the point. To bring everything together i have decided to collect some pieces of old wood working machinery. I picked up an old american no 1 20 inch planer today, i have an old crescent 24 inch bandsaw and a corley 2 saw edger. Always on the lookout for a circle sawmill to call my own but just havent found what i wanted for a reasonable price . it is sad how much of this stuff was lost when the scrap prices were high a few years ago but i am going to do what i can to save some of it now while i have the means. One day i hope to set everything up and build my own small business off of it

Chuck White

I've got a few "old" things, most notably, an old logging chain about 16 feet long and weighs about 40-50 pounds!

The one thing different about this chain is that there is a swivel forged in the middle of it!  I figure it should be worth quite a few $$$$.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Darrel

Hey Reddog, good for you!  The old machines will serve you well. Use a little TLC and you can have a very nice operation.

Oh, by the way, TLC most often comes in an oil can.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

coxy

Quote from: Chuck White on June 10, 2017, 10:34:00 PM
I've got a few "old" things, most notably, an old logging chain about 16 feet long and weighs about 40-50 pounds!

The one thing different about this chain is that there is a swivel forged in the middle of it!  I figure it should be worth quite a few $$$$.
I have 2 of them also my dad told me they was for horse skidding if you was on a side hill and the log rolled the swivel saved the horse from going over the bank  ;D

Kbeitz

I have a old crescent bandsaw and I love it...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Reddog sawmill

What size bandsaw kbeitz? Mine is huge with 26 inch wheels. I believe it was used in boat/ship building in baltimore maryland.

Darrel

The furniture factory I worked at during highschool had an old Greenly tennoner. In the operators manual were these words. "Property of Ford Motor Company"
1992 LT40HD

Kbeitz

Quote from: Reddog sawmill on June 11, 2017, 11:12:59 AM
What size bandsaw kbeitz? Mine is huge with 26 inch wheels. I believe it was used in boat/ship building in baltimore maryland.

20" wheels..
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gspren

Reddog, add your location to your profile and maybe someone may direct you to a local "deal".
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Reddog sawmill

Babylon519

How 'bout a 100-year-old 24" flat-belt planer? According to the embossing in the cast iron, it was made in a town about 80 miles from me. Oh, and it works!  -Jason

Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

sawguy21

Hunting for old stuff can get quite addicting.  :D I had some of my chainsaws at a show Saturday, a fellow told me about a collection of old saws and outboards he needs to move out but doesn't want to take to the landfill. I'll be checking that out this week.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kbeitz

Quote from: Babylon519 on June 12, 2017, 01:38:10 PM
How 'bout a 100-year-old 24" flat-belt planer? According to the embossing in the cast iron, it was made in a town about 80 miles from me. Oh, and it works!  -Jason

You really got to watch that thing if it has square heads on it...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Darrel

The only time square heads present a problem is if the flat sides aren't flat.
1992 LT40HD

Babylon519

Kbeitz, it does have the square head - two blades. My 'danger' spidey-senses are more alert with this machine than any of the other widow-makers I own, mostly because of my proximity to the belt and the blades and being in the line of fire for woodchips. But what, specifically, should I be watching out for? I'm aware that the 1" bolts securing the blades can stretch and bottom out in their holes, making the blade less tight to the head. Any other warnings gratefully appreciated...     - Jason
Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!