iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

353 Cam shafts

Started by Ken, May 05, 2011, 08:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

Good evening

I am getting a 353 rebuilt at a local shop that has done a fair bit of work for me over the years.   The cam shaft is bad and he is saying that they are very hard to get.  He suggests sending my old one away to get redone.   If there are some good suggestions for a good spot to source one please let me know. 

It has rained hard enough around here for the past couple of days that I would probably have a better chance at making a living fishing in all our new lakes as opposed to trying to get wood moved.

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

bushmechanic

I have got them through Traction just make sure you give them the number or letters stamped on the end of your cam so as to get the right one for that engine.

burlman

I did a rebuild on my old ford 220 diesel last year, the crank was shot. I found a rebuild kit on line for pistons rings and gaskets. out of curiosity i enquired about  where I might find a crank. low and behold they had brand new ones in stock, as well as cams and gears. If you can't find one I'll try to find the bill as to where they are, if I recall it was in new york, really cheap too. good luck.

dixmont

call harolds logging hampden maine

sandhills

I'm a little leery of rebuilt cams, if you can find a new one it might be worth the extra bucks.  Just my .02

John Woodworth

I've been using reground cams for close to 40 years now without any problems now, they are no diffrent in the break in procedure, don't break it in, loose the cam. Rebuilders will only weld up two lobes anymore than that they junl the cam. Also all your rebuilt engines that come out of the parts stores are running reground cams and their track record speaks for itself.

Too bad your so far away, there's a good rebuilder in Tacoma, WA.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

snowstorm

ken it may be worth a call to billings marine in stoneington. they have quite a lot of detriot parts listed on there website. or power products in westbrook they are the detriot dis. for newengland. i think detriot sold the 2 stroke bizz but not sure who

oldseabee

When I worked at Bell Equipment, we had some cams remanufactured for Mercedes off road truck engines at this place.

http://www.blakesreman.com/

Thank You Sponsors!