iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Myths vs. Facts

Started by Ron Scott, January 05, 2002, 02:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampwhiteoak

Re: Wildlife and Land Mgmt

Just to expand a little on what Ron S. said

Nearly anything done (or not done) to a natural landscape will be beneficial to some forms of wildlife, and detrimental to others.  The key is knowing the habitat requirements of a target species and making sure that habitat is available.

Unmanaged "virgin" forest is good habitat for forest interior birds and many amphibians.  Most other species thrive in a managed environment.  Providing habitat for all wildlife is only possible on large tracts of land.  

I think the jist of the myth is that man's manipulations only hurt nature, and any resource extraction is hurting the environment.  Of course everyone in this audience knows that just isn't the case.

Ron Scott

Charlie,
I agree with the "college pines" being active with "wildlife". A prime location.
Did you ever run into Mel Fisher in Fort Pierce?
~Ron

Corley5

The mention of opening creation in forests for the benefit of wildlife brings to mind one case.  Remember the huge controversey over drilling for oil and gas in the Pigeon River Country State Forest here in the Nothern Lower.  Oh my God! it was going to so detrimental and destroy the character of the forest and ruin it for the elk herd and all the other wildlife.  Welllll Guess what?  The creation of all those oil and gas well pads was of great benefit to the elk, deer etc.  They love these openings.  The sound of the well equipment doesn't bother them in the least.  Wells in the northern part of the forest are running out now and being pulled but the openings remain and the oil companies are landscaping them and planting them to meadow mixes, a mixture of grass, clover and fescues.  I've also planted some fruit bearing shrubs in some of these clearings as part of my job with the DNR.  When the wells are all gone, the pipe lines pulled, and pumping stations dismantled the clearings are still going to be there benefitting the wildlife.  Oil and gas exploration in the PRCSF really wasn't that bad after all.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

CHARLIE

Ron, I don't recollect ever seeing Mel Fisher but he was well known.........he was a wheeler dealer, he was............ From what I understand, if you dealt with him...he was going to come out on top.   :o
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ron Scott

Yes, Mel is a famous professional treasure hunter out of Fort Pierce. He made the extremely wealthy find of the shipwreck Atocha. He also has a museum in Fort Pierce I believe.

I have a diver friend who worked on some of the salvage with him.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Myth

Many species have become extinct as a result of timber harvesting.

Fact

In North America virtually no species has become extinct because of timber harvesting.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Myth

Forests should be preserved. We should use other products instead of wood to save trees.

Fact

Forests are Renewable. The only constant thing about forests is continual change, even without the hand of mankind. Trees are grown with energy from the sun, which is free, and manufacture of wood products takes less energy and causes less pollution than the manufacture of possible substitutes for wood, which are largely manufactured from non-renewable resources.
~Ron

Ron Wenrich

Heard on the radio this week that a Georgia outfit has come up with a way to make kenaf into studs.  They grind it up and make a mixture that can be formed into "lumber".  Billed as termite proof.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

what is Kenaf?  I heard that same thing on the radio but missed what they were making them from.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frank_Pender

Pleae hurry with a reply on this one. 8)  Inquiring minds want to know.  I might have a new sideline in my milling business. :D
Frank Pender

swampwhiteoak

Kenaf is a fiber plant.  It's an annual plant that would be grown in a field, similar to hemp.   It gets real tall.  Over in Europe I've heard they'll make fiber boards, similar to OSB, out of hemp, so I suppose you can do the same out of kenaf.  I wouldn't imagine any 2X4 would hammer real well.
http://www.kenafsociety.org/

Suffice it to say that fiber crops have there own set of problems.

ps-Hope that's quick enough for you, Frank.  But I don't think you'll be sawing kenaf anytime soon.

DanG

Sounds like another flash-in-the-pan fad, to me.  Remember a few years ago when they came up with the fence posts made from recycled disposable diapers? ::)   I don't seem to be seeing a lot of them around, now. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ron Scott

Most all of the USDA-Forest Service & other public land picnic tables are made of recycled milk jugs. They are of dark brown wood color, harder to carve on, move, steal, or burn up. More vandal proof.

Also, less maintenance due to weather and they don't have to be stained on a regular basis.
~Ron

Frank_Pender

Yep, it does not sound as though it would grwo here anyway.  I woke up to twn inches of snow this morning.  It sounds as though this is a warm climate type of critter.   Besides, I would have to get a smaller saw, most likely a band,  :D  to cut the stufff.  then I wold be worried about the over-run, if I was getting enough or not.  ;D
Frank Pender

CHARLIE

It seems like I've seen articles about someone making lumber out of wheat too. So this is probably the same type of deal.  What you have to remember is that they need GLUE to put this stuff together. I think glued up products have their place and do produce a cheap and stable alternative to wood, but the stuff is hard on saw blades and the dust is very hard on lungs.   :o :o
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

I still vote for trees and the free energy to produce it from the sun. Just think how much more energy it will take to produce all the ingrediants for this and combine em together to make a stud. Might be cheeper, but less enviromental friendly I will bet
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

Charlie, I remember that panel, it was wheat straw. Neat claim was that it pulled up enough silica in life to be fire retardant. Never saw it hit the shelf ::). So howcum we keep trying to make building products out of little stuff and toilet paper out of big stuff :-/.
Alternatives are always worth considering, I've seen bamboo scaffold 60 stories tall :o. Not bad for grass. :D
I got into it with a guy over my wood consumption. Most of the timber I get was grown in under a human lifetime. A relatively small amount of energy turned it into a shape that I made into a wall....Blown foam, high input wonder materials and vinyl from dead dinosaurs just doesn't seem to me to be the rational alternative.
 I saw a report on one of the synthetic deck boards having a mysterious oily "bleed", I appreciate your clearing it up DanG  :D

Ron Scott

Myth

Nature knows best.

Fact

Nature "knows" nothing! Foresters can improve on nature by using a knowledge of biological facts to direct natural processes. Forests can be grown and managed much more efficiently with scientific management than when left to nature. Nature can be brutal, as witnessed by disastrous fires, hurricanes, and volcanic eruptions.
~Ron

L. Wakefield

'Nature' as perceived, embodies the sum total of all the living and natural forces currently at work. Growth and decay, the competition of multiple species- the history of the area, are to be seen by those who take the time to look. The lessons having been learned- to whatever extent they are- we then have an opportunity to try our hands. We have a specific focus (or foci) and will try to optimize these. Usually we are trying to make money, which does not enter into nature's equations, though many species are afforded a living within the 'natural' scheme. Many of them have to scrabble for it, however- much as we are doing.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Bud Man

Nature must bust a gut laughing at man's feeble attempts to alter natural occurances, but man is resilent in his effort to alter things. === Americans have altered things to the point that most live like kings of but a short time gone by, in the overall scheme of things.====I think the expression of : "May You Live In Interesting Times" has always had a translation of :   " Interesting Times Are-- To Every Person-- A Result Of Each Individual  Utilizing One's God-Given Mind "
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

CHARLIE

There is no Mother Nature!  It's every specie for themselves! One against the other.  Trees have consorted to destroy mankind but were unfortunate enough to be bound to the ground. They do the best they can by waving their limbs and branches to create enough wind to wreak havouc on mankind! If you don't believe me, next time it's windy, go look at the trees....they're all waving their limbs in concert! Watchout for the trees! Don't be caught in the forest alone after dark!  :o :o :o :o :o ;)
Charlie

Ron Wenrich

There is a book out that says that plants have intelligence.  Actually, they are more intelligent than animals.  

All species, whether plant or animal, tries to expand their range.  Animals have a hard time doing this, since plants often keep their populations in check.  But plants have developed usefulness to animals and have them expand it's range.

How else would corn go from Central America to Europe and Asia?  How about Chinese chestnut to the US?  Sitka spruce to the UK?

Of course, some of them have made great adaptations and are now really hard to get rid of.  Kudzu comes to mind.  Some of these have been so succesful, they have pushed native plants aside where they are now getting rather rare.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bud Man

Florida is a Biological Nightmare with the introduction of plants-fish mammals -birds- monkeys -reptiles and people !!
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

CHARLIE

Ya mean like da water hyacinths and da walking catfish?  Da hyacinths will jes choke outta river or lake and dem walking catfish have lungs. If'n ya poison da ditch or lake deys in, dey jes walks across da road to de other ditch or lake. :o   Of course Minnesota is experiencing that too. Those Transatlantic freighters have brought all kinds of foreign critters and vegetation into lake Superior and then they spread out over the state via unsuspecting fishermen. :( :(
Charlie

Bud Man

The worlds getting smaller every day and isolation exist in very few places. It's been said that 98% of all organism's that have ever lived are now extinct.  It's estimated that there have been 55 to 60 billion humans on the face of the earth and with 6 billion living now that means that 1 out of every 10 that has ever been is present now. The numbers are not in humans favor.

Thank You Sponsors!