iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too late now, but I wonder if I should do it again?

Started by acrosteve, February 05, 2015, 07:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acrosteve

So, there are a couple of ram-rods that do odd jobs around town.  Definite hard workers, but the type that have to be paid every day, even if they come back tomorrow.

They where clearing some land for a relative and had some downed oaks and locust, They told me $100 per load.  Knowing I wanted to get all I could , I dropped off my 5x10 trailer and had them cut to length and fill it up.  Stopped back by after work and I know there was over 3000 lbs on the trailer.  They had it heaped on there, and the fenders touching the tires and logs just waiting to roll off while going down the road.  They said they wanted to give me my $ worth, to which I agreed.  So we moved several logs into the back of the truck and I was on my way.  Now, I just have to split and stack it as I unload the trailer.

Logs are mostly 6"-16" diameter.

Average, or over-priced?

Thanks

Edit;
I think this is the 1st time I have purchased firewood.  I always just cut up downed trees around the property.  Cutting to length and getting all of it at least a foot off the ground will definitely save my back some wear and tear.
Timberking B-20

landscraper

Around here $100 will get you a "thrown" load of questionably dry split firewood.  Sounds like your trailer exceeds that volume = better deal/more wood for you.  You still have to process the wood = more work for you.  It's all about what your time is worth, but I'd say you didn't get skinned too bad at $100.00. 

Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

SwampDonkey

They have a price for their work and you agreed, so I don't know what we could honestly say since we aren't involved. Like anything else, shop around. I don't know how much wood that you got or how it stacks out, but $100 a cord delivered in treelength form was/is ball park for around these parts. But I'll just say it's not up to anyone here to judge other's private business transactions. If you felt the price was high, you could have just left the wood.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LAZERDAN

Well worth a hundred bucks !  whatever your reason was you thought it was ok.  I'd say average.  Some days it just worth a little help.   Ld

acrosteve

Timberking B-20

beenthere

Glad to hear you didn't go on the road with that load.

Have seen too many piled just like that.. and pity the persons who meet up with one of those blocks when it tumbles off in front of them on the highway.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

acrosteve

Quote from: beenthere on February 06, 2015, 06:07:59 PM

Have seen too many piled just like that.. and pity the persons who meet up with one of those blocks when it tumbles off in front of them on the highway.

I agree.
Timberking B-20

square1

I sell a 5x10 trailer load (one row short of full length like in your 2nd picture) level with the top rails of dry, cut, & split hardwood for $50.  I do notice firewood goes for about 1/3 more $$ in other locations, including parts of Ohio, though.  I'd say you got a fair deal, not great, but fair.

acrosteve

Quote from: square1 on February 07, 2015, 06:26:58 AM
I sell a 5x10 trailer load (one row short of full length like in your 2nd picture) level with the top rails of dry, cut, & split hardwood for $50.  I do notice firewood goes for about 1/3 more $$ in other locations, including parts of Ohio, though.  I'd say you got a fair deal, not great, but fair.

That's kind of what I am thinking too. I don't think i would do it this way again.  Length variance is a little more than I would like too.

Like I said, they are hammer heads.  They cut down an oak that must have been close to 48".  I should have taken a pic of the stump, but no sign of a wedge cut.  Flat cut on the stump was sort of a spiral, with it being 6"lower on the side away from where the tree fell. Lots of pulled fibers nearly in the center of the stump but nothing that really looked like a hinge.
Timberking B-20

ihookem

If you burn fuel oil it is not worth it this year @ 2.00 a gallon, next year if it is 4.00 a gallon, then the btu's in the wood are worth twice . Hard to say, I don't buy wood at all. I figure at that point I might as well just run my NG furnace cause ,my home is so air tight it is cheap to heat.  If it was delivered at that price I might be tempted though.

coxy

Quote from: acrosteve on February 07, 2015, 05:20:37 AM
Quote from: beenthere on February 06, 2015, 06:07:59 PM

I agree.
that's what brakes are for  :) ;D

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!