iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Push Start

Started by TimW, November 14, 2019, 08:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW

My LT40 Wide Diesel has only 50 hours on it and to get the carriage moving into the cut, I have to give it a shove.  Sometimes I push a little while in the cut.  Especially on big logs.  Any idea what the problem is?
          hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Southside

Have you checked the drive belt tension on the fwd / rev motor down by the chain? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

Does the head return quickly?

Unhook a motor lead and see if the head moves freely just pushing it with no log?

If so, take the power feed belt cover off, check belt tension (7# at 1/8 deflection on my old mill), see if loose and watch what happens with the motor revolution as you turn up the feed, anything odd there?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

TimW

Quote from: Southside on November 14, 2019, 08:09:39 AM
Have you checked the drive belt tension on the fwd / rev motor down by the chain?
Drive belt tension?  What drive belt?  I was under the impression the drive motor would have a sprocket on it, to contact the chain. 
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Southside

Take the black cover off, the motor drives a pulley which is what is geared to the chain. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

TimW

Quote from: Southside on November 14, 2019, 08:19:53 AM
Take the black cover off, the motor drives a pulley which is what is geared to the chain.
Oh sweet.  That makes sense.  I will look at that tension tomorrow.
Thanks so much.
hugs,  Brandi

Southside

My phone won't let me post a link but @richieway put a video in the sawmill section just the other day doing maintenance on his Lt 40, he adjusts his in the video. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

John S

At 50 hours (and every 50 hours after) there is a complete service schedule that should be done.  It includes references in the manual where to find the procedures for adjusting belt and chain tensions, among other maintenance routines.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Southside

Absolutely, you really should check the band drive belt tension now too, you need to stay on top of that especially with a wide mill as cut quality will suffer if it's loose. Make sure you use the calibration gauge when checking it as too tight and you can destroy your engine. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

TimW

Quote from: Southside on November 14, 2019, 08:56:47 AM
My phone won't let me post a link but @richieway put a video in the sawmill section just the other day doing maintenance on his Lt 40, he adjusts his in the video.
I think I can figure it out.  Thanks.
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: John S on November 14, 2019, 09:21:20 AM
At 50 hours (and every 50 hours after) there is a complete service schedule that should be done.  It includes references in the manual where to find the procedures for adjusting belt and chain tensions, among other maintenance routines.
I am aware of that and planning it all this weekend or next weekend.  I went through the manual page by page when I got the mill.  But I slept since then. :D
I have been an aircraft mechanic for 41 years. 27 years with a major airline. smiley_book2_page   I know all that and asked here just for a heads up. ;)
I was thinking with all the bells and whistles on the mill , that it might be something I can't see, like electronic stuff with protons and electrons. ???  I'm not that swift with electronics. smiley_dunce  I just know enough to get me in trouble. :-[

hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: Chuck White on November 14, 2019, 02:17:30 PM
This is the video @Southside mentioned!

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=108354.0
Thanks Chuck.  I will check it out later this weekend.  Now, it's off to work I go.
hugs, Brandi

barbender

Simple stuff first, always. My head won't move at all at the moment, due to the fact that it's about 50° colder than last time I used it. Something is frozen on the shaft on the head travel, or something😑😁 I'm waiting for Saturday when it is supposed to get above 32° and the problem will hopefully solve itself👍👍
Too many irons in the fire

SawyerTed

I was having problems with inconsistent cutting speeds.  Sort of like sawing into hard and soft spots in the log.  Turned out that my drive chain was in need of lubrication.  The chain was binding and wouldn't feed through the sprockets smoothly due to rust.  A good dose of ATF and several trips up and down the rails has solved that problem. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Sheepkeeper

Quote from: barbender on November 14, 2019, 08:27:30 PM
Simple stuff first, always. My head won't move at all at the moment, due to the fact that it's about 50° colder than last time I used it. Something is frozen on the shaft on the head travel, or something😑😁 I'm waiting for Saturday when it is supposed to get above 32° and the problem will hopefully solve itself👍👍
Most likely wet sawdust inside the drive belt cover freezing the belt/pulley into a stationary position. Been there - done that  :D
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

TimW

Quote from: SawyerTed on November 14, 2019, 08:40:13 PM
I was having problems with inconsistent cutting speeds.  Sort of like sawing into hard and soft spots in the log.  Turned out that my drive chain was in need of lubrication.  The chain was binding and wouldn't feed through the sprockets smoothly due to rust.  A good dose of ATF and several trips up and down the rails has solved that problem.
Thanks Ted.  ATF is applied regularly, along with the rails.  I then cover the rails with flexible automotive split conduit.
hugs,  Brandi

YellowHammer

I agree, the fwd/rev drive belt is most likely the problem.  The belt is a rather small v belt and if it's just a little loose it  means lots of lost grip.  

Sometimes they will slip enough to wear the side of the V off so the belt starts to incorrectly bear on the bottom of the pulley, instead of its tapered sides, and the only way to get it to grip is to overtighten it. So I always kept a spare for a quick replacement.  Very easy adjustment and fix.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

TimW

I adjusted the belt tension.  Works like new now.  Thanks All.
But the adjustment on the motor slots is about max out.  I need to buy a new belt and keep this one as backup.
  hugs,  Brandi

WV Sawmiller

Yes, keep a new belt ready. They are cheap and easy to install. Glad that was all it took. I finished a customer's job one time by pushing my mill the last log or two by hand to finish then found it was just the loose belt and 5 minutes or less to fix.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TimW

At $6 each, I bought two belts. 
hugs,  Brandi

Thank You Sponsors!