iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT15 Wide

Started by charles mann, November 30, 2019, 11:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charles mann

i plan on buying the 15 wide after i get my wide mill build finished. if previously owned a 15 series mill and upgraded to the wide, how is the cut performance between the wide and the previous 15 series models?
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

charles mann

@booman instead of hijacking the other LT15 topic, i figured id start a new query, in addition to asking you direct since you own the wide. 

thanks for insight you can provide. 
Temple, Tx

booman

Before I bought the Wide, I was concerned about two things.  Will it cut flat and will the 25 hp be enough.  I did some research on fitting a higher hp engine on the Wide.   The muffler placement was always a problem.  So I stuck with the stock 25 hp Kohler.   It has performed just fine, even in full wide cuts and I cut a lot of mesquite.  The cut has also been flat but I always try to have a sharp blade on when cutting full width.   The cutter head also feels more rigid because of the extra carriage rollers on the outside beam.   The main beams and cross bunks have also been upgraded to heavier gauge metal.  Hope this helps.
2019 LT15G25WIDE, 2013 LT35HDG25, Stihl MS880 with 59" bar with Alaskan sawmill attachment.  John Deere 5045 tractor with forks, bucket and grapple.  Many chainsaws.

charles mann

Quote from: booman on December 01, 2019, 06:16:04 AM
Before I bought the Wide, I was concerned about two things.  Will it cut flat and will the 25 hp be enough.  I did some research on fitting a higher hp engine on the Wide.   The muffler placement was always a problem.  So I stuck with the stock 25 hp Kohler.   It has performed just fine, even in full wide cuts and I cut a lot of mesquite.  The cut has also been flat but I always try to have a sharp blade on when cutting full width.   The cutter head also feels more rigid because of the extra carriage rollers on the outside beam.   The main beams and cross bunks have also been upgraded to heavier gauge metal.  Hope this helps.
It helped a good bit. The wide may be to wide since ill already slabbing mill, but im not gonna stress those big bands for less than 30", but i also would have to see a 16-28" tree go to the burn pile. 
Temple, Tx

Thank You Sponsors!