The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: The Quest for the Champions  (Read 859 times)

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: The Quest for the Champions
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2021, 06:54:09 AM »
TR, 

Water hickory, carya aquatica, is one of my Georgia champions. I currently have 7 champions on the list.  Found a persimmon and loblolly pine that were just a little bit short of the score needed to make the list. Going back to Oaky Woods where these last two champions were found next week. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2021, 09:06:49 AM »
WDH, have the hardwood stands taken the hit that they have in Texas?  Not many private or industrial lands left with mature hardwoods.  A shame, there were some beautiful tracts when I first showed up, slightly after the Jurassic.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2021, 09:33:39 AM »
At the time I do not have the interest to identify each Champion on my property but I do know the major ones which are; Cherrybark, Shumard, and White Oaks, Sycamore, Walnut, Tulip Poplar, and Pecan.  Most of those trees were probably 30"+ when I was born.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2021, 11:39:49 AM »
I found a lobl olly pine on a little hill in a swamp one time.  It was massive and I was sure I had found the new Virginia Champion Tree.  I measured circumference. I measured height.  I measured crown spread.  I hurried back to the office to look up the Champion.  What a let down....my tree was 19 inches smaller in circumference and about 20 feet shorter with a similar crown spread.  That was probably 25 years ago.  I believe I will go back and see if I can find it again.  Thanks Danny.

Wudman
You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you cant kill the spirit of patriots and when theyve had enough this madness will end.
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Offline Edvantage

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2021, 08:39:57 PM »
I was reading up on the history of our area last week. The white pines cut 120 years ago were 5-6 feet in diameter.  I have stumps that size near my house. Made me start wondering what it looked like around here back then. Never knowing where my day might lead yesterday I ended up hiking around in a area that has numerous 4' + white pines. This post got my attention so I looked up Michigan's champion white pine. Turns out I was about ten miles from that trees location. A 5'4" dia tree. The tract I was on is 1000 acres of remote private land. Now my curiosity is getting to me. Going to have to look around some more.  

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2021, 06:55:46 AM »
TR,
Not many untouched or lightly touch bottomland hardwood stands around here except on the major rivers where access to log is difficult.  The two large bottomland tracts on either side of the Ocmulgee River where this tract is a part of were owned by my former employer Weyerhaeuser.  In the middle 1990s I established the policy on our lands in Georgia that the bottomland hardwood stands would not be clear cut, and the only harvests that would be allowed would be a few improvement cuts.  The Big Grocery Creek Bottomland on Oaky Woods has remained intact with no harvesting for at least 50 to 60 years by my estimation.  These champions were likely leave trees the last time harvest occurred many years ago and now they are the super dominants.  They are at risk to natural mortality, lightning strikes, and wind throw, though.  

The 10,000 acres on Oaky Woods that contains the Big Grocery Creek Bottomlands was purchased by the state in 2010 from private investors that purchased the 23,000 acre original Oaky Woods property from Weyerhaeuser in 2004.  The other tract on the opposite side of the river, about 20,000 acres, was purchased by private investors and is not as protected.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
A quest for seeds

Started by Don K on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

8 Replies
Last post December 10, 2012, 09:51:33 AM
by thecfarm
xx
My personal axe quest...ramble!

Started by Colin52 on Forestry and Logging

28 Replies
Last post April 27, 2021, 10:16:43 PM
by DonW