The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Forestry Forum YouTube Channel  (Read 2811 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Forestry Forum YouTube Channel
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2021, 12:31:54 PM »
Any suggestions are most welcome. I dunno what im doing, just making it up. :D
I havent had the time to watch yet so this isnt a criticism at all.  As for myself, i find that editing my stupid things out makes a much better video that im less self conscious about.  Me yelling at my kid or being interrupted by something no longer requires a do over.  I just split the frames and trim the stuff out with a fade transition and like my vids so much more now.  
I try to remember to slow down and pause more because its so much easier to stitch edits together smoothly when youre pausing.  Its difficult when racing through a vid and feeling time pressured.  Before editing id rattle as fast as i could to keep it short.  But i never get them right in one press of the play button.  Only by gluing snips together am i content with the outcome. 
Cap and Cut is the app i use on the phone and its pretty excellent, and free.  Lots of online tutorials on how to do whatever youre trying to do with it. 
Psalm 37:16

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2021, 05:30:42 PM »
The wife has a youtube channel. I did a video on
Intex portable skimmer start to finish.
That has 234,568 views. Choice your words wisely!!!!
I work in a hardware store and have had a few people come in and said they liked the videos. Some guy told me that and I said which one. It was setting up the pool one. He said it really helped him out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
    • Behind the  Forestry Forum YouTube channel
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2021, 06:56:57 PM »
Another video is up!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2021, 07:14:39 PM »

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2021, 07:30:34 PM »
YouTube has changed a lot over the last couple months. They have added many new channels and started pushing multiple adds on videos to allow you to earn the same revenue as a couple months ago with one add before the video. They seem to be diluting advertising fees to cover everyone. One wrong word in a video and your analytics will drop so try to be as PC as you can. With all the extra adds many viewers now use add blockers that also can change analytics.  One word of caution is avoid music I have found even royalty free music can have copyright claims for a couple notes years later. Scammers know what it takes to fight them and walkaway with any revenue made from that video. Also scan the copyright tab that shows if any of your videos are being uploaded in another country. People do copy videos and reupload them with monetization. YouTube is good at taking them down fast.
One thing that helps is weather or not you like Amazon set up an affiliate account and try to use products from them in videos that are readily available. Many viewers will want the products if they work good and most use Amazon so it's a good way to earn a little extra to help support the costs of a channel.
Number of views of on a video doesn't mean as much as what part of the world they are from. I got over a million views one night on a video and was excited but they were all in India so I only made like $3.00 
Once you get over 12 million views everything gets better with higher paying adds.
Just keep on doing what you are doing, use accurate tags on the videos so they get to the right viewers, and your channel will grow over time. Once your subscriber count gets a little higher youtube will offer your videos to larger audiences. You and Tammy are a great couple that viewers will enjoy and Cover pics showing both of you or just Tammy will result in more views. Avoid controversial subjects in the beginning.  
My 2 cents.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2021, 07:35:37 PM »
Didn't take but a few seconds to know who that was.  Maybe we could bribe him with a new purple dress.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2021, 08:23:04 PM »
The sound was bad, I'll do better. Why I didn't put the Bluetooth speaker by the camera, not the TV. Doh!  The lighting was bad, However! We had fun doing it and I thank David and Kurt for jumping on, whole hog!;)

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2021, 09:11:50 PM »
Maybe we could bribe him with a new purple dress.  :D
My size has changed. 😂😂😂
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2021, 09:31:48 PM »

Well, how much weight did you loose?? 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2021, 07:08:49 AM »
This seems much easier than making the  forum a ceiling block, which took 12 years to complete.

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2021, 07:21:53 AM »
I watched 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2021, 08:41:07 AM »
Its just I'm not getting very much feedback, other than what I should of did or should not be doing. I know that it's not a polished channel and with the gear I'm using found in the storage closet and my knowledge of how to do this, don't expect it to be soon, but I'm willing to keep trying if there is reason. This topic has far more views than the videos do at this point. I know it is to early to be discouraged.

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2021, 09:53:17 AM »
It's probably going to take time to build a audience but you have a advantage over most with the Forestry Forum as your jumping off point. So far (since the Behind the Forestry Forum launch) you have publish the intro videos and the pig/goat one so not much to gauge by yet.  Keep on doing some more and see what takes off. 

I wonder if there is some info on video length vs frequency for viewer loyalty?

I guess if you get desperate you could get a cat and make cat videos :D, would the cat food be tax deductible then?

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2021, 10:33:43 AM »
The continuing saga of sweaty airs Saturday. :)   i think there are 2 distinctive audiences from what direct response I have had. The tictoc way of thinking. Fast furious get to the point.  And the those that like a story. 

Im always trying to tell the story of why the forum exists, and the story on howTammy and I want to keep it alive, and also provide content that is relevant to our members. If you have ever been to our home and visited with Tammy and I, and wanted to come back, I think you should watch, because that is what this is. It's for y'all. Just like it always has been.

Saturday

Title: The dog ate my watch and there is a strange object in the Forestry Forum barn.

Discription: Is it time to get on that 8N and get it out of the barn? Always a distraction. Let's give her a go!

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2021, 11:19:54 AM »
I watch lots of you tube videos and will watch everyone you put up, but I don't subscribe to channels.  Is that the kind of thing you need, subscriptions?  I'm coming to the roast so I can put faces with names.  I think  videos can do that with folks who can't make the roast
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2021, 12:10:24 PM »
Subscriptions is what we need to make the channel viable, unless it can raise funds elsewhere.

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2021, 02:35:11 PM »
Jeff my channel  was a slow  starter.  It took about 3 years before  I made anything.  I had about  3600 hours of time invested and 3k in equipment (camera, computer,  software,  lighting,  microphone,  batteries,  and much more). So if you don't  do crazy things it can take some time to get going. Subscribers  and comments are what help. The more comments the further a video spreads. One thing is when a channel  is setup against a business YouTube seems to handle  advertising and distribution  differently. The forestry  forum has many  great  sponsors but what you will see are commercials from competitors run against all your videos.  Say you show a Logrite arch in a video you may see commercials about northern  tool arches at the beginning and you have no control over who advertises against  your videos when monetized and it looks like you are promoting the competition. That's  why some channels work directly  with vendors  for sponsorship.  In my opinion videos with a big forestry forum label will mostly  appeal to members and many of them won't  log in to a site like YouTube to subscribe and comment. I actually  think Jeff and Tammy as a team would attract more  female viewers even if they are not fully interested in the content of all your videos.  45% of my subscribers are female and they like comment, and share the most on my videos. I see a whole different challenge running  a business name  related  channel then a personal blog type channel like I do as I don't  have to consider who runs the adds and who I do reviews for. Just my opinion.  
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2021, 03:50:53 PM »
Which I appreciate. Tammy is going to become much more involved. We even talked about me running the camera for her one day. GASP! A doll dress fashion show! EGADS!

It's only fair. Tammy is one half of "Behind" the Forestry Forum.

Here is a thumbnail for a video I have in the can I think it id 3 or 4 down the line yet.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • Oh la di oh la da
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2021, 04:13:20 PM »
In my opinion videos with a big forestry forum label will mostly appeal to members and many of them won't log in to a site like YouTube to subscribe and comment.

And I find that a shame if so. This website has been here for 20 years, to help. It hasn't made me rich and never will. Never was intended to. Either is this channel idea. I fear the death of forums as we know it in the future. If I am forced into a mandated to control content at some point here, what do I do?  This forum has helped a ton of people. Ten tons. People we will never know, or any of you will ever know. It also has helped ya'll help each other and some of you find friends you will have the rest of your lives.  Subscribing to a channel and watching some video's to me doesn't seem like an outlandish wish. I guess that is why I mentioned the cabin ceiling blocks. A little square chunk of personalized wood was like asking for a pound of unobtainium.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2021, 04:54:17 PM »
you lost me on the cabin ceiling blocks but im impressed with your doggie obedience.  just have to teach them not to crap on your intro's from here out.   impressive paintings too, funny how that all snowballed into what youve built here. 

ya brought back a lot of memories. had i only asked jeeves what to do with my pay checks.  maybe if i invested the money i blew on that first gateway and the monthly AOL fees ...  nah.  id have still blown it all anyway.  

don't get discouraged on the channel.  its hard not to be staring at stats all day after you put in a bunch of work making vids, and then wonder why such stupid stuff out in the mediasphere has so many millions of views.  i think it just takes time. 
Psalm 37:16

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
A youTube channel ...

Started by weimedog on Chainsaws

10 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 11:49:07 AM
by HolmenTree
xx
BEST YouTube channel.. ever bjarne butler

Started by weimedog on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post February 15, 2021, 02:57:51 PM
by terrifictimbersllc