iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gonna make me a night stand.

Started by SwampDonkey, December 12, 2006, 06:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Ok, I been wanting a new night stand for awhile and I think I even mentioned making one last winter. Never got around to it 'till now. I am taking the design from an old antique one grandmother had. I think the best way to put'r together is tung and grove joints. I was thinking biscuit joints for the sides and top, but seems easier to just tung and groove. That is the way this old one is assembled. Not hardly a screw in it. Glue'r up and done.

I'm going to use butternut, yellow birch and ash. I have a lot of nice heartwood butternut. I found one board with a corner that had tiger figure, sure wish I had a whole board and could use it on the table top. Never seen it in butternut before. It may have something to do with the growth around a knot, the knot is gone because I cut it out. Irregardless of that, this butternut has some nice grain and you might not even tell it from walnut if it were stained darker when finished. This wood was air dried for several years so I don't expect much movement. Pictures of progress will follow. What I did today was clean up my machines (rust) and square up and plane some boards. I don't know what I'm going to run into when fine finishing the butternut because it's terrible for burrs and hard to polish. What would you guys use to finish/polish butternut?? I don't want to stain it really, I want to see the natural wood.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Den Socling

I have heard that Butternut is unstable dimensionally but I have used it in T&G paneling with no problem. The stuff was a strange blue/purple until I applied polyurethane. Then the blue/purple turned gray but it is still pretty stuff.

SwampDonkey

It's usually a greyish brown or sometimes I find it with a olive coloration. This stuff is dark and light weight like poplar. I know some of this tends to bow, must be tension or limb wood. I suspect some limbs got sawn, because they usually have log sized limbs that grow out straight. I'm only using short pieces so I don't anticipate much movement. A lot of wood workers here want butternut, hard to get because it's not real abundant stuff. My relatives are always trying to get some out of me to 'give' away. What do I get?  ::)

'Got any butternut? So and so wants some."

SO!!?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

This is the same board. It was 10 " wide and I edged, planed and squared it up. I adjusted the contrast to darken it a bit. Some of the wood is as dark as this naturally. Can't see the ray fleck in the scan and hard to see the pores, together it makes some might pretty wood in the light.

Some curl on the corner of the board

This is pretty close to what my eyes see, kind of a greenish or olive tinge to me.

Gonna be some nice stuff.  8) If I had a piece of sumac, you wouldn't know the difference.  8) hoot hoot!!

SwampDonkey

Been working away on that night stand. One of the legs needs to be returned on the lathe (actually a new one made), the dimensions don't match the rest of the legs so the boxed in part is going to be out of square. Can't get over how nice that butternut heart looks. Smells nice to when working it.  8) 8) 8) The books say some woods don't have smell, plane a fresh piece on the planer or jointer and you can smell it. No matter what wood.  ;D :) I find butternut heart smells real close to white ash though.

I can't make up my mind weather I want to tung the sides together or just leave them edge to edge.

I don't know about folks that go for that recycled wood cabinetry. Yes it's cheaper and looks ok, but nothing beats solid wood made from trees on your woodlot.  8) I never complain of price of solid wood products, just most times I can't afford to buy it.  :D ;D

Oh, in that first pic , I guess you can see some pores. It's those short, narrow, black lines.

SwampDonkey

So far so good. Got the leg(s) returned. I decided to join edge to edge with the side pieces of the boxed in part. Gonna use a sheet of 3/4" birch ply on the bottom, so I had to go get a 1/4" wide cutter for the smaller plunge router I have.

It's a slow process, no plans drawn up, so takes a lot of forward thinking to get dimensions and pieces cut so they fit proper. No one could afford me by the hour. :D :D Plus I'm not real hard at it, just 2 or 3 hour bouts at a time and giving my stiff knee a little rest.  ::)

Haven't seen any movement yet in the butternut. My longest piece will be around 24 inches.

SwampDonkey

Been cutting slots  :o and narrow pieces, remeasuring things 2, 3 or 4 times  ::) to make sure I ain't cutting stuff too short. I got a lot of it assembled and held in place with wedge pieces as I construct other components. I have not sanded anything yet, not until everything is cut out. I have 2 more pieces of molding to cut and slot for the sides, beneath the boxed in part. I have the little drawer and the two little doors to frame up and then the table top and Ogee the top edge. I think I'll put a little piece of something for the back of the table top to stop flashlight and pens from rolling and landing on the floor when I'm fumbling around in the dark for something. Ain't sure yet. I think I gotta ogee the bottom edge mouldings so they 'blend' in better with the turned legs, gotta think about it some more.

Slow but steady boys, slow but steady.  ;D 8)

Progress picture tomorrow.  ;)

Furby

Was wondering if we was going to see some pics. ;)

pigman

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 14, 2006, 04:42:15 PM

It's a slow process, no plans drawn up, so takes a lot of forward thinking to get dimensions and pieces cut so they fit proper. N

I found out it really speeded things up when I stopped using plans. ;D I was wasting too much time trying to figure out the plans, especially the ones I drew up. As for the forward thinking, that  is something I have never tried. ;D

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D

I do like plans, but it almost takes as long to draw up the plans as it does to just use forward thinking.  ;D :D :D

Work in progress.  ;)

SwampDonkey

side view: pieces are slotted in the the corners/legs. Shows butternut sides and yellow birch legs.

profile: shows cross members between corners where drawer (top) and doors (bottom) will be set.

inside: can see where the drawer slides are mounted for the top drawer. I still need to add a lip onto these to keep the drawer from moving side to side. I may replace/redesign this with a lip cut into a thicker piece of stock. But no matter, it won't be seen unless the drawer is removed.
That bottom is yellow birch, almost looks as dark as cherry don't it? ;)

Other stuff needs to be done as mentioned above.  The carpenter has the day off. ;D

pigman

Looks like you've got a good start. 8)  Did you get a new camera or did you take the pictures over six years ago? smiley_headscratch

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

batteries, I had to reload them and I never reset the date. ;D

WDH

Looking good.  That butternut is really pretty.  I have never used any, but would like to.  How are you going to finish it?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

The fun part it going to be sanding the stuff, every time ya add water the burs are gonna spring up.  I just know it. ::)

Decided on diamond wood finish, a water based Varathane. Needs 3 or 4 coats. Suppose to be a hard finish. Needs to be hard because butternut is quite soft stuff.  Then I'm going to let it 'cure' for a few days and apply some finish wax.

SwampDonkey

Well, I'll soon be off to the shop with a damp sponge, water and sanding paper to tackle that butternut. Got everything cut out 'cept the drawer and doors. No need of starting those until everything is boxed up.  ;)

SwampDonkey

Finished sanding yesterday after 3 hours. The water did work well removing the burs and helped in sanding them. Got the thing all glued and boxed in. Going to make the panel doors tomorrow, then the top and drawer. Red oak ply and solid white ash will be used on the doors.

WDH

Will you have it finished for Christmas?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Left Coast Chris

I like to use the Verithane Natural Wood penetrating oil.  It really brings the grain out.  I dry sand to 220 then apply the oil with 340 sanding and rubbing the oil in.  Next two coats are rubbed in with 4/0 steel wool.   Then you buff it with red wax buffing compound then follow with carnuba wax.  Works good for bowls......may be too much work for furnature.

This time of year be sure to apply it with the recommended tempertaures .... usually 70 degrees.   I apply the oil then bring the bowl in by the wood stove.  Has been working o.k.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Ernie_Edwards

Just started enjoying this thread.

But must admit that when I saw "One night stand" my mind went to something else.

Surprised Pigman didn't beat me to it.

SwampDonkey

WDH, it will probably be assembled my Christmas, not sure if it will have all the 'finish' on it by then. I like to wait a day between coats for it to harden good.

farmer77, I chose the diamond finish for hardness and it says not to use steel wool on prep. I will buff with rotten stone and pumice, but first I want to try it on a piece of scrap wood.

EE  bike_rider  :D

SwampDonkey

I used dovetailing and breadboarding like WDH used on his chest. I don't think I will round over the edge though. I'm afraid of tear out with this soft butternut. I'll just sand the corners well to take the edge off. I got the top all put together and now the glue is setting/drying.

Will do some sanding tomorrow to get ready for the first coat of finish on Saturday hopefully.

The drawer is assembled also and sanding on it done for now.

Might have some pictures tomorrow.  ;)

SwampDonkey

Well, I tried getting those pictures today around supper time, but the batteries are dead and need charging.  ::) Always tomorrow.

I will be washing down the stand tomorrow to take off any saw dust from all the sanding, then I will bring the stand up to the house for it's first finish coat. I have not attached any hardware to any wood yet. Waiting until the finish is on.

I see a dilemma though. And i had thought of this earlier, but my mind was on something else and I forgot one detail. I'm going to have to install drawer guides and i only have 5 inches of space to work in. If my brain had been functioning proper I would have installed them before I put the top on, as I had previously planned. I gotta right stuff down I guess. Then I probably wouldn't read it. ;D :D :D

Maybe glue will be sufficient, since it holds 1000 lbs. ;D

cheers

SwampDonkey

Some pictures before I add the first top coat.

I wonder what mess this finish will make when applied.  ::)

WDH

Very very nice Swamp,

I like the frame and panel sides.  Also, the breadboards are very nicely done!  I have enjoyed looking in on your project as it has progressed.  Inspires me to go build something!  I do have 2 more chests to do, but I have been sawing maple this week, getting re-acquainted to really hard work. 

Thank You Sponsors!