Sponsors:

A New Member> Thanks For Being Here

Started by Wintergreen Mountain, March 03, 2010, 06:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wintergreen Mountain

Members of this forum;

3/3/2010

My name is Leon.

I have been reading and learning on this forum for 6 - 8 Months. The members are the most knowledgeable and helpful group I have found in my venture to build a cottage on my 60 acre lot.
     Two yeas ago I semi-retired and bought 60 acres of wood land on the east side of Wintergreen Mountain in northern Vermont. I have been repairing heavy equipment for 33 years. I am going to cut my own timber, saw the lumber and build a small cottage to live in. I'm sure this group can help me with the project when I have problems and hopefully I can offer something to the forum.
     Back in November I bought a portable sawmill from TURNER MILLS LLC. over in New York State. I talked to Bill Turner (the owner) Friday and he said the frame, track and axles were finished. He is going to start building the saw-head this week. The mill will be finished and ready for delivery the first week in April. Somtime in May I hope to drive over and tow it home.

LEON 
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

ErikC

Welcome to the FF.
  Quite a few members here, including myself, have or are in the process of building a place with their mills.  We look forward to hearing about yours.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

fishpharmer

Glad to have you Leon.  Welcome to forestry forum.  We need more rubber tired bandsaw owners  :)  You are at the right place for advice.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Leon, Welcome to The Forestry Form and congratulations on you soon to be new sawmill.  There are several "Turner Sawyers" around.

We drove through your area a few years ago.  Maybe got cheese at the Cabot "factory", and seems like there was the Ben & Jerrys "factory" also.  Caught a ferry across Lake Champlain.  Anyway, we really enjoyed Vermont.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tripp

Leon,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have an interesting project ahead of you.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Tripp 

ARKANSAWYER

Well you should find that being able to turn wrenches is a good skill when owning a sawmill.  Also all that grease ground into your skill will help you pull the splinters out easier.

Welcome aboard!
ARKANSAWYER

bandmiller2

Welcome Leon,33 years repairing heavy equip.is 33 yrs. hard time, milling should be a piece of cake.Do you have anything to move the logs around.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sigidi

Welcome from way down under Leon.

Building your own house with your own lumber and sweat is a really gratifying project - although I'm not finished yet... one day ;D
Always willing to help - Allan

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Leon!

Lots of good people with lots of good info here!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Cedarman

Welcome Leon,  should be some nice cedar up your way to make some good paneling.  I'm sure some of us will need some advice on iron.  I try to delegate that to my son now.  We are having our national caving convention in northwest Vt the first week of August.  I plan to be up that way for a week.  It's same time as piggyroast.  Wish I could be in 2 places at once.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

thecfarm

Welcome Winter Mountain,you will like it here.What kind of wood will you be using? How big is this cottage you building?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

Wintergreen Mountain

Thanks for the welcoming replys .
     I believe I am going to enjoy this group.

Frank.c;       
     I have a Ford 1920 4x4 tractor with bucket and plan on putting  a set of forks that I bought for $150.00 on as soon as the weather breaks. I also have a CAT D3-B crawler tractor ( with right steering clutch torn down) that i will reasemble when the weather gets better.

Thecfarm;
     I am giong to use a variety of wood, just because i have it. Hemlock, Poplar, Pine, Spruce, Butternut, Tamerack, Basswood and Ash. Not much ceder on my propery, lots of ledge, and elevation is to high around 1200ft sea level.

LEON
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

woeboy

welcome to FF
I just got my Turner Mill and been sawing for about a week with it.
LOVE IT!!

Turner Mills owners are on the rise here in FF, :D 8)

Wintergreen Mountain

Woeboy;

Did you buy direct from Bill Turner? If you did you and I have met a knowlegable an accomedating man.

Frack c.;
     I plan on building a 16' x 32' structure with 12-12 pitch roof and 4' overhang. Roofing will probably be steel. I may decide to cut shingles.
     Dad bought a second farm back in the 60s with a shugarhouse up on this mountain. We tore it down and used the lumber to build a bulk tank milkhouse on that farm. The roof was shingled with Ash shingles 1/2" thick, 6" wide, and 4ft long. they were over 90 years old and in great shape. They were not taper sawed. I might saw some out and roof with them.

Magicman;
     I live about 25 miles from Cabot Creamery and Ben And Gerry's. I live at the Smugglers Notch Ski Resort and stowe Ski Resort area.

LEON

rickywashere

Don K

Welcome to the forum, Leon. Glad to have you. Good to have a HE mechanic in the ranks.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Thank You Sponsors!