iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pics of Kilns

Started by Brian_Bailey, June 03, 2003, 10:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Bailey

With all the interest in kilns and the many styles of construction discussed, it would be interesting to see what's out there.

Here's my version.

I have a Nyle L-150 DH system. The building is 10' 6'' x 18' with an 8' ceiling. It has a concrete floor, 2x6 stud walls built to Nyles specs. with rigid Insulation in the walls & ceiling. The 2 loading doors swing open. I've got a load of lumber drying in the kiln so I couldn't get any inside pics, but it's simular to the pic in Nyle's literature.

This is the loading door side.

This is the controller side. The controller is in the small enclosure.  Also this side has an entry door to inspect the lumber as it is drying.

Here the small enclosure doors are open to access the controller & etc.

This is a closeup of the controller ( old style).  This is an extremely simple controller to operate. To bad Nyle had to complicate it by adding digital readouts to the newer models.

I put a KWH meter in to keep track of the electric I use for tax purposes and figuring costs. Also, to the right of the electric meter is an indoor / outdoor therometer.  I use the outdoor sensor to monitor the kiln temp., this gives a precise reading. It also reads to 150 degrees F. which is handy because I go to 140 for at least 24 hrs. to sterlize the lumber.  Also, you'll notice some twisted wires by the thermometer. These are external moisture meter probes.  I use these to monitor the M/C of  3 carefully selected sample boards with a Lignomat Mini-Ligno DX-C meter. By using these probes I don't have to enter the kiln to get these readings.  

Hope you have enjoyed,  looking forward to seeing other folks setups.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Paul_H

I'm glad you posted the pictures Brian.It helps to understand what I'm going to be up against.

Are those vents that I see on the door,and to the left of the control box?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Brian_Bailey

Paul -  Yes, there are two manual over temp. vents. You can't see the actual vent because I have them blocked with blue styrofoam.  There's one on the controller side and the other on the loading door side. They're also on opposite corners from each other. I don't use them much now that I replaced the fiberglass insulation with the rigid type. The kiln temp isn't much affected by what the o/s temp.is doing.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Noble_Ma

About how much do you have invested in the kiln Brian.  A kiln is my next project too.

Brian_Bailey

Noble_Ma -  I have approx. $8000 invested in the Nyle Equip. and building.  It would of been nice to have a forum like this back when I built mine.  I could of saved a pile of money and time seeking others advice and not have to redo things!

Kilns are great for a small operation because of all the new doors of opportunities that become available to you.

GarryW

Here are some pictures of my kiln. I have a Nyle L-50 unit. It is okay for small loads. It can handle a stack 16' long by 3' wide by 6' tall. It is a bit small but I originally built it inside of the garage while the house was being built and then pulled it out with the tractor when I needed to pour the garage floor.

I like the side loading on Brian's kiln a bit better. Mine is very tight when putting in a full load. And the side loading would allow one to prestack the load and then put it in the kiln with forks.

This picture shows the controller. The little gray box hanging down is the temperature controller for the over-temperature fan.

This is the inside of the kiln. I have a small load of sycamore in there right now. I have 4x8 sheets of plywood that are used to help direct the airflow a bit better. I have them attached to ropes and pulleys so that I can raise and lower them easier after I have the kiln loaded.

This picture shows the internal temperature sensors to the lower left of the picture. They are mounted on the 2x4s between the stickers and the drying unit.

garry
Garry

AtLast

Hey Jeff...how bout adding a Kiln category?  ;D

Ive been talking to Kptter and am VERY close...but now that Ive seen these pics Im rethinking... :P

Furby

Did anyone see this on Ebay?http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2535769495&category=41502
I am NOT even thinking about getting this but would like to hear your thoughts.

hawby

Guys,

Thanks for the pics. I would love to have either of them drying down my stacks... right now.

hawby
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Brian_Bailey

Furby -  

I never had a vac.kiln but I sure drooled over that kiln when it first came out.  I couldn't justify the 20 grand WM was getting for it so I just dreamt about the 3 to 5 day turn around on 4/4 red oak.  

When WM came out with their 2000 bf model, I feverously pushed the pencil around trying to justify the now 30 grand to no avail. Well, a friend of mine bought one and I'm glad he did because in his doing so, I saved a lot of money.  WM quit making them, for a reason.

GarryW -  

My first kiln was an end loader.  When I built the one I have now, I wanted side doors for the very reason you stated.  Its been a few years since I built it and I'm still loading by hand!

solidwoods

Brian.
Nice kiln.  It opens a whole new range of products and profits.  Kilns let us mill less/sell best grades for more.

I use a 1000bf direct fire propane right now. It doubles as my furniture finishing room. I dry 20% mc or less in it.  Cost $300.
This years project is build an outdoor woodfired boiler and run another kiln 200bf.
I'm thinking of adding a winter time inside/outside water coil to add some dehumidify capabilities to the boiler kiln.A
We also have a 3000bf Solar about 90% complete, it is for thick materials.
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Furby

Brain,
 What's the reason ??? ??? ???
If they don't make them anymore, you can tell us reason can't you?
                   Furby

Brian_Bailey

Furby -

I don't know why WM quit making them, but, I do know that there was a lot of problems getting a consistent mc through out the package of lumber that was being dried. Some sections of the package would be right on target, while another section would still be wet and another section the wood would be charred by the heating blankets. I remember reading some wheres that WM discontinued them due to technical reasons.

Another member of this forum, Den Socling, is well versed in vac. kilns maybe he could shed some light on this if he's following the thread.

Den Socling

I thank Paul for moving these lost threads but now I feel bad for totally missing this one.  ::)

Somewhere around 1996, I contacted WoodMizer about working with them on the VK2000. I had been experimenting with one for a couple years and knew it had some problems. WoodMizer, in an effort to keep the kiln design as simple as possible, had left out some essential components. I was told that my contact was interesting timing as they were considering the end of vac kiln manufacturing.

They flew me to Indianapolis where I spent the day with managers and engineers. At the end of the day, we met with the company Director, Don Laskowski. It was decided that I would be hired to redesign the VK2000 and that a prototype would be built ASAP. We got started and Don went to Europe.

We were well on our way when Don returned from Europe. I got a call that said that he had decided not to continue the VK2000. I was shocked, took the info and hung up. Later, I called and asked why. I was told that the kiln was getting too complicated but the blankets were the biggest problem. If I could figure out a way to get rid of hot spots, they would consider keeping the kiln. So, I packed my canoe full of beer and went camping. I figured out a way to stop hot spots. When I got home, I called the engineer that I was working with at WoodMizer. I told him of my idea, he thought it was worth a try and would pass it along to management. I thought the project was back on track but I got another call a couple days later. The VK2000 was dead.

To the best of my recollection.  :D

Stump Jumper

8) keep them pics comming 8)
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

ElectricAl

Den,

I know all about the "Hot Spots" in the WM vacuum kilns.

We had a customer who needed 6/4 Quartersaw Bur Oak ASAP, you know tomorrow. We sawed the lumber and hauled it 15 miles to a VK1000. We had heard that a vacuum kilns and Bur Oak don't get along well.  The operator assured us it would be fine.  A couple days later the operator called and said to come get it.

I get down the there and the lumber is burnt. Actually burnt, like charcoal.

Apparently the blankets got way too hot, caught fire and burnt until the machine pulled a vacuum and snuffed it out.

We don't sub out KD any more no matter how big a hurry someone is in.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Den Socling

I saw some Red Oak cooked in a vacuum. It looked like Ebony.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!