iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buffering Capacity and pH of wood species

Started by Forester Frank, November 13, 2000, 02:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forester Frank

Need Help.

Need a table or reference for buffering capacities and pH values of various tree species.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Forester Frank
Forester Frank

Ron Scott

Frank,
Try the USDA-Forest Service Forest Products Lab in Madison Wisconsin. Their Wood Technology Unit may have such info.
~Ron

Forester Frank

Forester Frank

Gordon

What tree has the best overall buffering capacity?
Thanks
Gordon

Gordon

Here is some buffering being done close to my house. Well it's the next state over.

http://www.naturalresources.umd.edu/Forest_Water.html#biosolids

Just page down some and there are links on the right handside of the page. I thought it was some interesting reading and added it to the Link Directory. That is if they let it in. ;D

Here is another link along the same lines.

http://www.unl.edu/nac/afnotes/spec-3/

Gordon

L. Wakefield

Excellent reference. Are you interested in the buffering capability of the entire plant in the living state- or for some reason interested in how wood fiber interacts with, say acid rain if exposed to this?

The question reminds me of watching my maple trees in WV in the rain. Sometimes the rainwater as it ran down the trees would look a bit 'foamy' as it pooled in uneven dips in the bark. I wondered about acid rain at that time, especially as the rainwater tasted somewhat acid to me. It's hard to tell if it's run down your face first, as contact with skin or sweat may change things. But I had wondered if I was seeing some type of reaction in progress.

I suspect any buffering with the living tree in situ would involve the soil biohabitat at a very essential level.  lw

L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Thank You Sponsors!