iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

homemade mill and autofeed

Started by revid, February 13, 2016, 09:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

Quote from: revid on April 10, 2017, 09:53:40 AM
Thanks KB but I needed diagram with those two relays in there also.

What will the relays be doing ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

revid

You told me in earlier posts that I needed the relays to protect the controller board? You even told me which ones to get?

Kbeitz

Quote from: revid on April 10, 2017, 07:13:44 PM
You told me in earlier posts that I needed the relays to protect the controller board? You even told me which ones to get?

But your now using a drum switch that replaces the relays.
The relays will help if you use timed relays so you can't slam it
into reverse. With your drum switch you can reverse so fast
that you will over load the speed controller. So are you wanting
to use timed relays ?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I'm having trouble keeping up with what I tell everybody.
Helping more than one person at a time can mess with my mind...
Sorry...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

revid

Hahaha no prob. I like everyone for sure appreciate your help. The boards I was using weren't lasting so you suggested to use these relays along with a particular board which you suggested so I got all that. I just need to wire the lot. That drum switch, with two relays like in earlier post and a controller board to adjust speed.

Kbeitz

The drum switch you have wont work with relays.
Look at the this new drawing it shows #1 and #2 drum switch.
You have the number one style. you need the number two style.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

revid

Didn't know there were different styles , will #2 reverse?

revid

I can't seem to find one like #2

Kbeitz

Sorry but 4:00 am was just to early for me to make a drawing.
You can use your drum switch. They do come with many different
configurations but I can make yours work. I changed the drawing.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

revid

Lol thanks KB,and yes way to early.

revid

Hi Kbeitz, sorry to bother you again, I had to change my case my wiring was in and seemed to fool up my wiring. In the drawing above I can't puck out some numbers, could you tell me or marked them clearer for me please?

bwstout

I had the same problem with seeing the numbers I zoom it in on my computer here are the numbers 1st relay is 2,7,1,8,3,6  2nd relay is 2,7,1,8,3,6.
My auto feed is working and I have not burned up any more controllers ;D so for.
home built mill

Woodpecker52

For a simple setup but it is not for a portable mill you can check out my gallery for feedworks.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

bwstout

Not sure what you are saying my mill is portable. I have the control box setup as plug and play

I have a drum switch attached and the relays like the schematic  I just unplug bring it in goes in the truck when I pull the mill.
home built mill

revid

got no reverse and now my pot isn't slowing down or speeding up travel. Gonna go over wiring again. Tried another pot but still no good

fishfighter

I am still using the controller that came with the wheel chair. ;D Still hooked up with 24V. I use two lawn tractor 12v batteries wired to 24v.
Oh, I use one motor for tracking and the other to raise/lower. I just disengage the motor I am not using. ;D

Woodpecker52

You can check out my gallery and posts for auto feed works easy and simple to use.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Woodpecker52

can check useful sawmill mods. page 69

revid

Nice work woodpecker52. I had mine working fine till I had to replace wiring housing. I went over and over my wiring and all good according to plan Kbeitz sent me. Thinking it may be the controller board itself. Gonna switch to a previous one I used , replaced it cause I never had reverse but it was  wrong wiring. Will try tomorrow . Hoping it is controller will try and order another one but from somewhere besides China. Too *DanG long to get here 

moodnacreek

Could I suggest using hydraulic motors for these kind of projects.

Woodpecker52

Thought about hydraulics but more expensive for me.  Using a enclosed tank system with ac motor and one drive motor with forward/reverse would be an option but I am not wise in this area.  One question would be how long could you run the drive motor and could  the feed speed and power be constant and what size tank etc.  Would it hold power or pressure the whole length of log cut, Like I said this is one area I am out of my comfort zone.  I would think that most mills would have some sort of hydro feed motors since they usually have hydro for turners, loaders etc. but I think most use dc motor off a 12 volt battery system.  Maybe someone has come up with a turn key simple hydro feed work system but I just have not seen it yet.  Maybe some of you could brain storm a system it might help a lot of the tinkering owners.

revid

Yeah Iam with you on the hydraulic system opinion.once you get the bugs out of it the dc motor system works great. Got mine bk up again , was the controller board. I replaced the old one with a new one thinking that was the reason I didn't have any reverse but found out it was a bad contact on my drum switch. Long story short the new board was bad. 

Woodpecker52

One redeeming quality of trouble shooting is that you come out the other end wiser!

Thank You Sponsors!