iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM blade tensioner problem and question

Started by Jim_Rogers, September 13, 2016, 11:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

I'm here this morning sawing some red oak logs making trailer decking and after a break I went back to the mill and noticed that my blade pressure gauge was very low. But the threads were in the correct distance for being at high pressure for sawing.

I turned the handle a couple of turns and the pressure didn't go up.

I pulled the blade covers to see if the fluid was leaking out the push rod. It wasn't.

I found a drip on the bottom of the middle block.

See here:

I wiped it down several times to see if the fluid was leaking out the seams of the block assembly and it wasn't.
This block has developed a hole in the bottom of the block and all the pressure and fluid is slowly leaking out.

I called WM and I can get just the block as shown in my parts manual. But it is only available from WM in IN and will take three days to get here.

If I take it apart now, is there any way to fix this good enough to hold the pressure?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

LittleJohn

...how much duct tape and bailing wire, you got ???

On a serious note, if you can find the spot where its leaking maybe a small weld or spot of JB Weld, will hold til the replacement arrives.  Or maybe take a few days off and check a few things off the "Honey-do" list for extra brownie points  ;)

Chuck White

I think that as long as you protect any "O" rings or seals, you should be able to take it to your shop and weld or braze the hole, shut!

My 2 cents!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jim_Rogers

Thanks guys for your advice on JB weld.

I called the factory tech and asked the same questions about using JB weld, and he said I could try it.
So, I took it all apart, and this is a designed hole in the block that it is leaking out of.
It goes all the way through to the round shaft hole.
We now think it's just an o-ring that maybe worn out and I have canceled the order on buying a new block as there is most likely nothing wrong with my old block. And I have ordered an o-ring seal kit that has everything I need to rebuild the unit.

In the mean time, I'm going to try and go locally and get a new o-ring.

I'll let you know how I make out when and if I do.

Jim Rogers

Magicman

If they are like mine, the seals are not simply "round" O rings.  They are square as are used in hydraulic cylinders. LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

I just discovered that.

And mine is not in great shape:

I have a local hydraulic shop and may go there and see. But I have a seal kit coming in from WM Maine, should be here tomorrow.

Thanks for the link to the other story about these.
I downloaded the rebuild page and the refill page as well.

Jim Rogers

Ox

So is that hole like a weep hole on the older vehicle water pumps?  So when the seal fails it gives the fluid somewhere to go in a controlled fashion other than all over the place?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Ox on September 13, 2016, 08:28:23 PM
So is that hole like a weep hole on the older vehicle water pumps?  So when the seal fails it gives the fluid somewhere to go in a controlled fashion other than all over the place?

I would assume so.

Update.
I went to town and to a hydraulic shop that I heard was open from my UPS driver. I had never been there before. But I will go back there anytime I need something he might have.
A very nice clerk said the only thing that he had that was similar was a "cat" "d-ring" and he opened up his box and we tried one on the shaft and it fit fine. Then we tried it into the indent in the body of the block and it was a tight fit but it did go in with a little push from a screw driver.

I asked him what did it cost and he said "forget it." I offered him a dollar to cover the cost and he wouldn't take it.

I came back to the mill and put it all back together again.
I had quite a time to get it full of ATF but I managed to get it and it was holding pressure.
I'll see what it looks like in the morning and if it will hold pressure while sawing.
I didn't make a cut yet, as I ran out of time this afternoon.

Jim Rogers

4x4American

It's called a flat-face O-ring.  Glad you got it situated, hopefully she's good to go. 

So how come red oak for trailer decking?  I thought red oak wasn't very good for that?
Boy, back in my day..

Jim_Rogers

Strongest wood we got, not much white oak in my area.

Jim Rogers

4x4American

Yea same here.  It seems that I can get chestnut white oak easier than regular quercus alba, but I don't think that's as good, I know the cooperage guys won't take it. 
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Sounds like you made your fix Jim.  I seriously doubt that it will fail, plus you will now have a repair kit in your goody box.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

I'll see what it looks like in the morning and if it will hold pressure while sawing.

It is holding pressure just fine, and cutting straight lumber again.

Jim Rogers

Magicman

Chuck White

Just remember where your spare rebuild kit is, Jim, you'll probable need it in around 20 years!   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GAB

Quote from: Chuck White on September 14, 2016, 04:46:59 PM
Just remember where your spare rebuild kit is, Jim, you'll probable need it in around 20 years!   ;D

Jim:
It appears that in 20 years you'll be 84 so I suggest you take a 3" x 5" file card and write where you placed the kit and put the card in your safe for, of course, safe keeping to assist you in remembering where to look for it.
By the way thanks for the thread.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: GAB on September 14, 2016, 07:56:29 PM
Quote from: Chuck White on September 14, 2016, 04:46:59 PM

Jim:
It appears that in 20 years you'll be 84 so I suggest you take a 3" x 5" file card and write where you placed the kit and put the card in your safe for, of course, safe keeping to assist you in remembering where to look for it.
By the way thanks for the thread.
Gerald

It is safely packed away in my box of spare parts, whenever it should be needed.

Jim Rogers

paul case

Great.
Maybe I could borrow it if mine ever goes down. If you can still find it by then? If If If.....

;D

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

thecfarm

Gald to hear
Send that hyd shop some business.   :)  Not many will just give you a part.
The other day I helped a guy with senting up a tank to fill his well up. I could tell he really did not know. I got him all the parts,teflon tape too,and put it all together for him. No labor charge and I had never seen him in the store before. It was only about 3 fittings to go from one inch to garden hose size,only took about 10 minutes to do too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Since it sounds like you only replaced one side, the other side will probably go out when you least want it to.  Mine did.   :-\

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!