iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Removing Bark

Started by clintnelms, September 14, 2016, 10:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clintnelms

What's the easiest manual way to remove the bark from SYP? I've got a guy I work with that's planning on cutting down 3 SYP trees as soon as it cools down and he said he'd give me the logs. It'll take me a good while to saw that many logs. So I've read that the bark needs to be removed so they'll last longer. I've used a long tamping bar before that has a sharp end on it, but I'm wore out before one log using that heavy bar. Looking for some easier methods.

Magicman

As late in the year as it is, I would stack them off of the ground and not worry about the bark.  You will be good at least through the Fall & Winter. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Stand em out like MM says, and in a while you will hear ol Maw Nature working on that bark.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

ozarkgem

Maybe less work to just saw them than to remove the bark.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

clintnelms

Quote from: ozarkgem on September 14, 2016, 08:32:42 PM
Maybe less work to just saw them than to remove the bark.

I don't plan on them sitting any longer than I have to. I just don't have a lot of time but on the weekends.

Satamax

I don't know if there is any big samill near you. But, if you're getting the logs from your friend's land. May be it would be worth sidetraking to a big mill with a debarker  ;D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

customsawyer

Get them up off the ground and you will be fine. Even if it is a few months until you get them sawed. If your friend isn't taking them down until it cools down that will be even better as it will take longer for the blue stain to set in.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

clintnelms

Sounds good. Thanks for all the comments.

LittleJohn

Depends how much you have to move them, if you plan to move a bunch leave bark on until its sitting on the mill.

...like MM state, get logs off the ground.  That is always a good thing in my book, as I almost never saw "fresh/green" logs

ppine

Traditionally people use a spoke shave or a spud.
I have done it all day everyday for a few weeks and it is pure drudgery. For a couple of trees it is no big deal.
There is a debarking attachment that can be put on a chainsaw.
Forester

Czech_Made

Thank You Sponsors!