iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

building a bandmill w carriage

Started by halfkeck, September 16, 2016, 02:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

halfkeck

I see a lot of members here building their own sawmills, most of which are band mills and along the lines of a w-m, etc where the log is stationary and the blade moves back and forth.  After finishing our circle mill project that we use at the tractor show grounds I have been contemplating finishing this band mill project my grandfather never finished.  He had done tons of machining on the parts for the dogs, husk, set works etc but ran out of time before finishing.  It was to be a band mill along the lines of a traditional circle mill with a belt driven carriage and what looked to be a w-mr blade with rubber wrapped v pulleys turning the blade.  Has anyone built such where I could look at pictures of their arrangement.

york

Here is a big modern version of what you ask about...

Albert

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ron Wenrich

I've always liked the idea of a carriage.  Easier log handling, better dogging, easier indexing, and better product flow.  We had a few on here that used a carriage that moved like a circle mill.  smwoody was one that was running a stationary head and a Frick carriage.  You might find some info on his early posts.  Use the search. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Theirs no reason a bandmill with a carriage wouldn't work well. The big reason for bandmills is a smaller, cheaper, lighter mill that is easily portable. The carriage and ways would have to be strong enough to handle ton plus logs. If a fella is going to all that trouble he might as well just have an arbor and circular saw. I know their are large commercial bandmills with carriages but that's to handle large logs. Your reason to complete your grandfathers mill is a good one especially if its almost completed, show us some pictures when your done. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

killamplanes

kbeitz, that looks like a painfull and dangerous way to make lumber. That blade comes flying apart I couldn't run fast enough. No OSHA in dominion republic I quess ;D
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Kbeitz

Quote from: killamplanes on September 16, 2016, 10:12:10 PM
kbeitz, that looks like a painfull and dangerous way to make lumber. That blade comes flying apart I couldn't run fast enough. No OSHA in dominion republic I quess ;D

When I was making the video I was instructed not to walk in front of the mill.
So I guess it has come off before.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!