iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help Identifying this Tree

Started by EOTE, January 17, 2020, 10:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOTE

I had this tree fall down over the summer in our bottom land and just cut some logs out of it last week.  My neighbor thought it was a type of elm and from the smell, I kind of agree because is smells similar to a red elm I sawed last year but I really don't know what it is.  Is it possibly slippery elm?

Any help identifying it would be appreciated.

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Southside

Looks like very pretty elm.  Do you know someone stole the wheels off of your mill?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Pretty sure it is sweetgum.  Elm will be ring porous on the end grain and the latewood pores will be arranged in distinct wavy bands.  Easy to see with a clean slice on the end grain from a razor knife.  Sweetgum is diffuse porous with all small pores so there is not a strong cathedral grain like you see in eln, oak and ash.  Also, the heartwood of sweetgum can be beautifully colored like that. 

The end grain will tell the tale. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

EOTE

After reviewing the photos, I think I have identified the tree as one of the elusive and rare "buckshot" trees.  Look at the closeups of the heartwood in the pictures below.  This is definitely a buckshot tree. :D

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

EOTE

Quote from: WDH on January 19, 2020, 07:35:48 AMIt is a buckshot sweetgum . 

WDH, After looking closely at the end grain as you suggested, I would agree that this is sweetgum.  While it looks nice, I don't have the ability to dry it other than air drying so these logs will probably end ups as mulch.

And thank you for your input on how to confirm the identity of the wood.  It is really appreciated.

Thank You Sponsors!