iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Journey of family run sawmill

Started by Busysawyer, April 09, 2018, 10:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Yellowhammer can tell you some horror stories about trying to make it work on site with arborists.  Once the logs are out of the customers yard the situation changes, but until then - you know how some people can be.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

The only thing worse than being chewed out by my customers is being chewed out by someone else's.  When I worked with tree guys, the last one who leaves the site gets chewed out by the customer, and guess who is the last one leaving?  The guy with the logs.  Some times it worked, some times it didn't, and when it didn't, it was memorable.  

I now only take logs from arborists if they deliver to my mill, or stage them at their own logyard for me to pick an choose which ones I want.  Arborists are paid a dump fee by the customer, and they would have to transport them anyway, either to the dump or to another sawmill, so they have to get some separation between my business and their business before I will buy them.  

Arborist insurance is very expensive, and is different than loggers insurance, which is also very expensive, which is different than log truckers insurance, which is also expensive.  Although it's important to have insurance to protect from damages to other persons property, insurance is required if you or someone working for you gets hurt.  There are state laws concerning Workmans Comp and how many employees need be hired to kick in.

Hauling on the roads for a business, even if hauling your own personal business property, i.e. you logs, requires a whole new round of regulations and insurance.  Some states have adopted the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Association, FMCSA, regulations and if hauling for any activity where money changes hands, then either over 10,000 lbs or 26,000 lbs requires different liscenses and insurance.  It's easy to check, got to your state DOT website and it will tell you what you need.  No matter what, if you are over 10,000 lbs combined tuck and/or trailer stickered vehicle weight, and haul across state lines, you will need a DOT number, medical card, and a spreadsheet full of stuff to make you legal.  Over 26,000 lbs, you need a CDL and even more stuff.  Take it from me, the Smokies can and will write a "knee banger" ticket even if completely unloaded.  Many states have allowances for farm tags but typicllay that applies to in state, short hauls and places significant user restrictions on the farm truck that make them unattractive for business use.   

Our business was shaped as much by the insurance requirements and costs, state and federal regulations, and lawyers as much as by what we wanted to do.  I may be beating a dead horse, and you already know all this stuff, but until you get the little yellow certified envelope naming you in a multimillion dollar lawsuit, or have a state trooper pull you over for doing "nothing" and the only reason you don't get to spend time in jail is because he was "nice" to you, it's hard to explain how important it is.  

That being said, there is nothing more gratifiying or enjoyable than having your own business and making a go at it.  If you ever need any help, you have my number, I'll be glad to help all I can.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

Hammer,

I think you need to just write a book on the woes of collecting free logs from arborists.

I think the solution would be a little advance work to determine whether to put your AU sign on your truck or wear your Alabama hat and shirt when you arrive. That would prevent most of your issues. Of course you might wear your Alabama shirt to the Alabama fan customers and leave them happy then get pulled over on the next block by the county sheriff with the AU plate on the front of his cruiser. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

Free logs are typically the most expensive, in my experience👎
Too many irons in the fire

YellowHammer

Yeah, nothing's free. Even if it's free.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Busysawyer

Thank you for all of the advice guys. You all seem to be right on the mark in regards to my experience with dealing with people in general. I did get a really nice 36in x 14 ft walnut log yesterday for free though. Technically not 100% free. I had to pay for fuel to trailer my bobcat 2 miles up the road and back but I did get a nice log and 2 beers out of the deal. I don't drink beer but the guy really wanted me to bs with him and have a beer so I obliged.  Threw the log up on his trailer and he brought it here for me. I you figure in the fact that it took 2 hours due to the chit chat session it cost me about 5 bucks in fuel and 2 hours of down time i still did pretty good. He also had 2 other monster walnuts 45 to 50 in dbh in the woods out back he is talking about getting rid of. While over there the neighbor across the street came over and wanted me to look in his woods. Only 4 acres and he had about a dozen nice walnut and some cherry . The area i live in is loaded with nice walnut and cherry. If I decide to start buying trees it looks like I'll be able to stay pretty busy right near the house.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Bruno of NH

Free logs aren't free
I get tree service logs dropped at my mill it's more work than you think.
Some times you get a mess. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Busysawyer

Just a few more trees to go and I'll be done playing logger for awhile. Excavator will be here Tuesday to rip out about 25 stumps for me. I cut down one of the little walnuts today, now there is only one really nice one left in the way. The one I cut today is about 24in inside the bark. I got one nice log and a couple decent ones. The next walnut isn't huge but she's a beauty.  About 30in dbh clear and straight with very little taper for about 25 ft. 

Busysawyer

Today was a big day for us. All the trees we needed down are down and the stumps are ripped up. I wasn't sure what to do with the stumps so I just stacked them into a wall of sorts.  The morning started good with the excavator making short work of the stumps and I piled them up with the bobcat as he tore them up . Took about 2 hours to pull around 25 to 30 stumps and stack them. After he left I was working on piling up some branches on the burn pile and took a good sized limb through the windshield and about smashed me in the face. Luckily I'm alive and closed mu eyes quick enough that i only got a little glass in one eye. After I showered and shop vac the bobcat out I got back to work. I had the pleasure of meeting Furby from the forums today as well. He stopped over and we had a nice talk . I had a couple hours to start leveling land with the bobcat and made a pretty good dent in it.

Magicman

But where is Furby??  Oh never mind, I see him now.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Is that a lake shore just through the tree line?
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Busysawyer

Quote from: Southside logger on May 01, 2018, 11:20:01 PM
Is that a lake shore just through the tree line?
Not sure what you are seeing there. The barn door faces north east. There is an industrial complex to the north west. It sits in whaat used to be my great grandparents sand pit so it is set about 150ft lower in elevation to where my barn and cleared land is. To the west of the barn we have a 1 acre pond and about 150ft south of that pond we have a large 16 acre pond. I'm not sure if you can see those through the trees or not. Here's a pic of part of the big pond.

thecfarm

I think he is seing the complex,the building. I wondered about that too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

The third from the last photo you posted and the one with the excavator pulling a stump from a distance, behind them through the woods, it looks like a combination of open and frozen water like one would see this time of year in a northern lake with the ice going out.  Optical illusion.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Busysawyer

Update with pics. I have been helping my mom set up and open her antique store so progress is going slower than I hoped but momma comes first .
Took a break from excavating and added more slabs to the pile. Red oak, hard maple and hickory.

My little bobcat is getting the job done. 

The hill I have to level was mostly sand under the layer of topsoil and clay so I pushed all that to the side and made my own temporary ssnd/gravel pit. Will fill this hole in with topsoil and the clay and cover it with sand/gravel when I'm done pulling out all the sand and gravel I need to cover my whole area. Pic of the wife standing in our sand pit. 

Pic of a cool cherry tree with wifey again to show size.

Figured I'd put up a few pics of our land and water.
The little pond. About an acre.

The big pond. About 15 acres or so.

From the back of the property behind the pond looking towards our woods.

One last pic of our cute little 100 year old house from down in the woods

WLC

Nice property!!  I love the house!!!!
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Magicman

And you are getting the hang of telling a story with your pictures.  Now drop your narrative below the picture that you are describing and it is even easier to follow.  Thanks.  :)

I see a lot of work that has been done and more to do but it seems that you have a good plan.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I did to get to look at the house. i was too busy looking for my fishing rod and canoe paddles. :D Nice looking place. Looks like a great place to raise kids.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dakota

X2 on a great place to raise kids.  They're going to have fun around and on those ponds.
Dave Rinker

Busysawyer

Quote from: WLC on May 06, 2018, 12:50:25 AM
Nice property!!  I love the house!!!!

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 06, 2018, 08:12:30 AM
  I did to get to look at the house. i was too busy looking for my fishing rod and canoe paddles. :D Nice looking place. Looks like a great place to raise kids.

Quote from: Dakota on May 06, 2018, 08:41:31 AM
X2 on a great place to raise kids.  They're going to have fun around and on those ponds.

Thank you.  The kids love it here and so do we.  The big pond is loaded with large bluegill and bass, at least by MI standards. The oldest boy wants a kayak for his birthday to paddle around and fish out of so we will oblige.  My great grandparents built this house and great grandpa did a lot of the woodwork himself. Every time I look at the hand hewn fireplace mantle I think of him and how much hard work he put into this place 100 years ago. The floors are all original and need refinishing but the trim and doors still look good.
Quote from: Magicman on May 06, 2018, 07:46:10 AM
And you are getting the hang of telling a story with your pictures.  Now drop your narrative below the picture that you are describing and it is even easier to follow.  Thanks.  :)

I see a lot of work that has been done and more to do but it seems that you have a good plan.  :P
I'm starting to get the hang of it 

Busysawyer

Seeing as how we love this place and some of you guys seem at least a little interested I figured I'd post some pics of the little things that I really like. I think this place is all red oak but would appreciate it if someone could tell me what kind of wood this is.

Fireplace mantle . 4in x 16 in. Every time I look at this I think about great grandpa working with hand tools. 

Inside front door and vestibule entry door. They don't make them like this too much anymore.

All the doors are a solid 1 3/4 thick and still have the old glass handles.

I really like this old door handle and light fixture.

The family crest. The brick this house was made from were salvage by my great grandparents from a tower in grand rapids that was built in the early 1800s. There is so much character and history here. I feel honored and privileged to be able to live here with my kids and hope it stays in the family until it turns into dust.

Dakota

What a special place, and what a wonderful place to raise your family.  Your great grandparents would love the fact that a family member is preserving their hard work.
Dave Rinker

samandothers

Beautiful place! Thanks for sharing.  Great family history there.

Autocar

Great story and a beautiful home thank you for sharing with us.
Bill

Busysawyer

Quote from: Autocar on May 09, 2018, 07:25:45 PM
Great story and a beautiful home thank you for sharing with us.

Quote from: samandothers on May 08, 2018, 11:01:43 AM
Beautiful place! Thanks for sharing.  Great family history there.

Quote from: Dakota on May 08, 2018, 09:52:32 AM
What a special place, and what a wonderful place to raise your family.  Your great grandparents would love the fact that a family member is preserving their hard work.
Thank you all for the kind words. 

Progress update.
I tore a track on the bobcat a couple days ago so I haven't made any progress on the site excavation, been monkeying around with some other projects.

Slabbed a few logs with the chainsaw mill.

Setup the filters, ground off the rust and started painting the transfer tank that was gifted to me. It's looking much better.

Went to the big box store and grabbed some treated 2x12 and made a simple sandbox for the kids. Had two of the older ones helping fill it with sand.

I called woodmizer to order 1 1/2in rollers for the lt70 and to talk about log decks.  They just happened to have a 20ft deck sitting there that someone ordered and canceled.  They threw the rollers on the order for free and made me a deal on the log deck.  They will be bringing the deck on the 23rd with the mill so no shipping charge. 

Today I am going to work on the bobcat. I need to pull the old tracks off and will do some other maintenance. I'm going to pick up a new set of tracks tomorrow morning and should be back up and running tomorrow afternoon. 

Thank You Sponsors!