iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw recommendations and methods for the big ones needed.

Started by Ronnie, June 11, 2013, 11:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnie

I run into large logs now and then that won't fit on my band mil " larger than 36" in diameter." I have one now that is  a 49" diameter oak and I will need to   cut it down the center in order to get it on the mill. I love these big old logs but I don't have the proper equipment to deal with them. So I am looking for saw recommendations along with bar length and chain type. I will be the first to admit I don't know much about chainsaws my current arsenal consists of a stihl 270C much to small for these big logs. I am also rigging up a trailer and winch so I can go retrieve some of these big city logs. If cutting these big logs in two isn't to difficult I would like to do a lot more of these giant logs. I like the big ones!!!!
TK2000, JD5075, Stihl 660,270,170.

mad murdock

When splitting large logs, you will need a saw with a bar length of at least clsoe to the diameter of the log to be split. In most cases probably a 36" long bar or maybe even a 42" bar.  For this, you will need a saw with a engine displacement of at least 80cc or larger.  A new saw of this size is going to be quite expensive, see Stihl MS660 or Husqvarna 395XP.  My suggestion would be to look for a good used saw of the larger size, as they generally dont get used as heavily as mid range saws, and you will save a lot of $$ over buying a new saw.
Plus the options open up a lot as well, since there are a lot more saw brands that were made in the past of these larger sized variety, i.e. Poulan, Homelite, McCulloch, Shindaiwa, Echo, Husky, Stihl, Dolmar etc.  If you want new today, you are limited to 2 maybe 3.  I don't knwo if Dolmar makes anything in the 80cc plus range today or not.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ianab

Well you can rip them in 1/2 with a bar only 1/2 the log width, but you have to cut from both sides, and you will need a heavier duty saw then a MS270.

I don't thing that you need to pull a 48" bar to do the occasional log, but you will want a "pro" grade saw that can pretty much run full throttle for a whole tank of gas.

But if you can get a good old 066 or similar that's the sort of beast you need for any serious ripping to milling. Something that will let you rip those big logs into 1/4s, so you can then complete quarter sawing them on the mill.

Nice wide quarter sawn oak can be worth the extra effort of ripping the logs down.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

deerslayer

Yeah, you are definitely going to need a big saw to do this. Are you going to be encountering this situation fairly often? ie, will it be worth the investment of a large saw to be able to mill the occasional large log? If the answer is yes, then start looking for a big saw. Stihl 090, 070, 066, 084, 088 and the new versions MS660, MS880, etc. (there is an 880 in my area for $1500 right now that supposedly only has a few tanks run through it.)

Other options are the old McCullochs such as the 125 series, etc. Old Homelites in jumbo sizes are available too such as the 750.

These older magnesium saws are heavy and not all that fast but would be well suited to your needs.

Husqvarna also makes some larger saws.

Another option, make friends with someone that has big saws such as a tree service, etc if your use is going to be very occasional.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

Ronnie

TK2000, JD5075, Stihl 660,270,170.

clww

I just got through helping out a local tree service guy here at The Beach for the past two days with a large diameter tree job. His largest saw was an old 039 Stihl with a 24" bar, so I got the call. The tree was a red oak, 24' length main trunk,  62"  on the big end and 49" on the small end. I mostly used my 084 with a 33" bar. This trunk was all bucked, and quartered, for 20" firewood.
If you are only going to see a very large trunk occasionally,  you may want to sub-contract a tree service organization as this guy did.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

HolmenTree

clww seeing you mentioned about some tree service guys with not so adequate saws, I have to say I've run into arborists in the big cities who work with consumer grade saws and I see they don't really know what they're missing...... if they only had a pro ground saw in their hands.
Myself being a owner / operator of a tree service for the last 13 years I do have previous years of production logging experience as a hand faller under my belt. We used only 3 brands .....Stihl or Husqvarna/Jonsered
and they didn't have plastic crankcases :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

clww

I agree, Holmen. This has been at least 10 times in the past 7 years that I've gotten a call from a full-time tree service for my big saws and their capabilities. Kind of strange since I'm more or less doing the tree removal as a hobby.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

HolmenTree

Quote from: clww on June 12, 2013, 10:02:37 PM
Kind of strange since I'm more or less doing the tree removal as a hobby.
I don't know what your job position is , but maybe you should get into tree removal full time. Probably one of the last careers out there  where someone can make a reliable good paying living.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!