iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

372XP issues

Started by celliott, May 23, 2013, 10:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

Quote from: AdkStihl on May 25, 2013, 05:30:09 PM
Quote from: celliott on May 25, 2013, 03:02:51 PMThink the 372 will do ok with an 8 tooth on a 20" bar?

Oh hell yeah!!
Thats how I've got one of my 044's set up.
A while back I had my modded 372 with 8 tooth rim on a 14" Windsor Speed Tip bar, 72 LGX chain doing a powerline corridor widening contract for the local Hydro company. Cutting and hand piling 8"-10" average dbh spruce into 4 ft pulpwood.
The 372 was like a laser. ;D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ladylake

Quote from: celliott on May 25, 2013, 03:02:51 PM
It's nice living a half hour away from the chainsawr (sponsor) shop. Drove up to get a rebuild kit today. Good day to stay in and work on chainsaws, it's blowing wind and raining\borderline snowing outside here. Nasty weather.
Threw the rebuild kit in, lo and behold, it worked!  8) surprise surprise, right?
Got it tuned up how I want, now I want to test it out in some wood  ;D
The saw came with a 20" bar, 3\8 chain. Don't know why, but it has semi skip chain on it at the moment. Also has an 8 tooth driver. Think the 372 will do ok with an 8 tooth on a 20" bar?

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 24, 2013, 04:40:48 PM
On this carb biz just to show you how easy it is .It's now 4:37EDT .I got home at 20 til 4.Got out two saws from my bench,Stihl 024 and 2.2 cubic inch Poulan .Blew the dust off rebuilt two carbs ,tested them in the wood ,cracked  a beer and here I am . 8)
Oh, they aren't hard at all, I do realize that. This walbro HD was pretty easy i'd say. I can have the carb off and totally broken down on that 372 in about 5 minutes now, i've practiced enough  ::)

So it was either a stiff diaphragm or the metering lever was adjusted too high or they were in the wrong order,  I'd guess the metering lever too high. A fraction of a inch will cause those symptoms.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

It isn't just the main diaphragm that gets stiff .Often times the check valve assembley gets funky .

Some of the newer kits use a mylar type material for the checks which is more robust against ethanol .When you order the kits you never exactly know which you will get .

In addition some of the Stihl OEM replacement crankshaft seals use a slightly different material than the old standby buna-n .

Automotive and other engine manufactures are aware of the ethanol deteriation problems and are attempting to address them  .Given enough time I thing they will solve it .

AdkStihl

A stiff metering diaphragm will push on the metering lever.......just sayin
J.Miller Photography

celliott

I am certain it wasn't too high. After it flooded the crankcase just sitting, I checked the metering lever with a credit card, it was just barely lower. I adjusted it further, to probably 1\8" low, and it still bothered.
The metering diaphragm wasn't stiff, but I was unsure of it's integrity, it was actually pretty soft and floppy, even in comparison to the new one.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

joe_indi

Chris
Glad to know you have the saw running.

Quote from: celliott on May 26, 2013, 09:34:38 AM

I am certain it wasn't too high. After it flooded the crankcase just sitting, I checked the metering lever with a credit card, it was just barely lower. I adjusted it further, to probably 1\8" low, and it still bothered.
The metering diaphragm wasn't stiff, but I was unsure of it's integrity, it was actually pretty soft and floppy, even in comparison to the new one.

Other than a  poorly seated inlet needle, the other culprit for crankcase flooding in an idle engine is a damaged pump diaphragm. The fuel leaks into the crankcase through the impulse hose. More so in the 372 with the pump side being on top and much higher than the crankcase. One the fuel flows through the pipe, it works like a siphon.

Joe

celliott

Quote from: joe_indi on May 26, 2013, 11:01:45 AM
Chris
Glad to know you have the saw running.

Quote from: celliott on May 26, 2013, 09:34:38 AM

Other than a  poorly seated inlet needle, the other culprit for crankcase flooding in an idle engine is a damaged pump diaphragm. The fuel leaks into the crankcase through the impulse hose. More so in the 372 with the pump side being on top and much higher than the crankcase. One the fuel flows through the pipe, it works like a siphon.

Joe
You know, now that I think about it, I believe when I first had the carb apart, the pump diaphragm did have a folded, crinkled corner. I straightened it out without giving it much thought and put it back together. But I did see a bit of fuel leaking on the pump diaphragm side of the carb, I bet that was the culprit.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

joe_indi

I was just going through all the posts on this thread.If I am right we all missed out suggesting  one test very important test.
A pressure test on the carburetor.
Or, did anyone suggest it?
Joe

Al_Smith

If I get a funky carb and don't have a new kit I root through my junk and find something usable .Oh I've twittled and fiddled resetting fuel levers to account for a puckered diaphragm to get by .--it's a pain in the rear .Besides that they might run but they won't run up to par .

ladylake

A pressure test would only confirm the needle was leaking which we already knew.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

joe_indi

Quote from: ladylake on May 27, 2013, 05:56:57 AM

A pressure test would only confirm the needle was leaking which we already knew.   Steve

That is not the only test result that one could get with the test.
A pressure test would have also shown whether the end cover, gasket or pump diaphragm had a seating issue or not (oil frothing along the edges of the seated area or around the fixing screw) , which would reduce pump function
It also would have shown up a damaged diaphragm (air exiting through the impulse connecter), as in the present case.

Joe

celliott

Got to test the saw out in the woodpile. Cuts good  8)
Well, it cut good for a couple minutes anyways.
I don't know if I mentioned this or not, but this saw's previous life was as a small engine repair class saw at a forestry college. So, for the last 10 years or so, it spent it's life being disassembled, and reassembled. After I bought the saw, the first thing I did was check over every single nut and bolt on the saw to make sure everything was tight, and in place. That's how I found the stripped out oiler mount and had it helicoiled, and found the loose cylinder head bolts. Apparently there was one nut I missed   :-[

Flywheel nut wasn't torqued down enough apparently. I think you all know what happened.
Very frustrated I didn't check that nut  >:(
Gonna see if I can get a used one though. At least I'll have a very nice, solid saw when I'm all said and done with this husky.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

NCFarmboy

Been there!  I replaced the flywheel on my 181 forgot to tighten the nut.  Fortunately it came loose while starting it no damage done.  Wise man once said "He who does nothing screws up nothing!"
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

AdkStihl

Quote from: celliott on May 28, 2013, 07:27:14 AM
I don't know if I mentioned this or not, but this saw's previous life was as a small engine repair class saw at a forestry college. So, for the last 10 years or so, it spent it's life being disassembled, and reassembled. After I bought the saw, the first thing I did was check over every single nut and bolt on the saw to make sure everything was tight, and in place. That's how I found the stripped out oiler mount and had it helicoiled, and found the loose cylinder head bolts. Apparently there was one nut I missed   :-[

Flywheel nut wasn't torqued down enough apparently. I think you all know what happened.
Gonna see if I can get a used one though. At least I'll have a very nice, solid saw when I'm all said and done with this husky.

Good thing youre within driving distance of Scott & Levi  ;D
J.Miller Photography

celliott

Quote from: AdkStihl on May 28, 2013, 11:52:38 AM
Quote from: celliott on May 28, 2013, 07:27:14 AM

Good thing youre within driving distance of Scott & Levi  ;D

Yup, great people, great shop. I don't think I would ever go to another dealer for anything. Unless buying a brand new husky, but why would I wanna do that?  ;D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

AdkStihl

Quote from: celliott on May 28, 2013, 02:53:00 PMYup, great people, great shop. I don't think I would ever go to another dealer for anything. Unless buying a brand new husky, but why would I wanna do that?  ;D

Do me a favor, tell em both Jeremy says "Hello"!!

Thanks
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Quote from: NCFarmboy on May 28, 2013, 07:46:44 AM
Been there!  I replaced the flywheel on my 181 forgot to tighten the nut.  Fortunately it came loose while starting it no damage done.  Wise man once said "He who does nothing screws up nothing!"
Shep
Oh let me tell you a loose flywheel can orbit the inside of a garage about three times  if it comes loose .I had an oldie with a Fairbanks -Morse starter that was funky and  fired it up with the  rope but like an idiot fired it up back azzward .Yes they will start up in reverse in case anyone asks .

deerslayer

I put a big bore kit on an 029 Super and apparently forgot to torque the flywheel. On initial start, it fired right up, sounded good for about 5 seconds and then bang, clank, hiss clank. Oh crap I says to myself visualizing pieces of rod sticking out of the case but it was just the flywheel key had sheared and making it go out of time. I lined everything back up and it's all good.

On another occasion, I discovered that it isn't good to run a Husky 55 without the bar and chain installed. I found all the pieces and all was well.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

sablatnic

I did the same, fired a Hq 254 up without bar and chain, and didn't find any of the pieces. Saw one of them flying in a straight line towards NW!

Mountain_d

Did you check the spark arrester screen on the muffler? It may be blocked with carbon.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

celliott

Quote from: Mountain_d on June 13, 2013, 10:47:56 PM
Did you check the spark arrester screen on the muffler? It may be blocked with carbon.

No, the carb needed a rebuild, the screen is clean. The saw has been running good, had some storm cleanup around here, ran quite a few tanks through it.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Thank You Sponsors!