iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic Winch Help Please

Started by Dakota, November 16, 2011, 09:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakota

I have been wanting to replace one of my electric winches with a hydraulic winch for some time.  One finally came up for sale here locally.  It's what I'm looking for,  but the guy who's selling it doesn't have any way to hook it up to hydraulics so I can see it work.  My tractor is not close.  I don't know anything about hydraulic winches.  Is there a way to check this winch out without hooking it up to a hydraulic system.  Here are a few pictures:

The winch is a: Ramsey 8000 HYD Planet cw 9.75-RHP
price is $300

Dave Rinker

pineywoods

No such luck, you will have to hook it to some kind of hydraulic source, but even then, you need to put some kind of load on it. The main thing I would be concerned about would be the gearbox on the end opposite the hydraulic motor. If the motor is bad, it can be replaced for not much over 100 bucks. Ramsey would most likely have parts if needed. Looks good, you'd love it...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

T Welsh

Dakota, from the looks of the pictures I can tell its never been apart. for $300,Buy it and take the chance. I too like to see things work before I buy,but my gut instinct says buy it. hyd. motors dont usually go bad,and the winch in the picture shows very little use on it. happy winching,Tim

Dakota

Thanks for the replyies.  I think I'll take a chance on it.
Dave Rinker

thecfarm

Did the guy ever have it hooked up and use it?  If local he might go good on it,if it did not work right when you hooked it up. Going to be used on a tractor,arch, or ?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

You can roll it over with compressed air but all that will tell you is if it's rotational or not .

millwright

Ive had quite a bit of experience with Ramey winches and found they are pretty much bulletproof. I dont think you can go wrong at that price.

bill m

I  have three of those winches and they work great.

Two of them I bought new and one was used. The used one was on a wrecker and only needed brake pads, an easy fix and not expensive. The hydraulic motors are about $325 but there is not much that can go wrong with them. Does it come with an owners manual? If not let me know and I could send you one.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

mometal77

I have photos on my phone from a guy who bought a set up for a hydraulic dump and ram on his dodge.  I have photos on my camera but waiting on an xd card reader from Amazon.  He said the kit is around 500 providing you build the external tank for the hydraulic fluid.  Looks like a great set up. Northerntool I think sells a set up for this along with any hydraulic parts place. 300 is a steal.  Buy it and run  :D  I would love to have one for the front of my forklift.  Maybe when the next equipment auction comes around but i need a hydraulic auger or just the pump and buy the auger later on.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Dakota

I'm going over this morning to look at the winch.  I'm planning on buying it unless I see something obviously wrong.

thecfarm:  The winch will be a logging winch, powered by the tractor hydraulics.

bill m:  I don't know about an owners manual yet but thanks for the offer.  I might take you up on that.

Dakota
Dave Rinker

T Welsh

Dakota,Good luck,hope you come home with it. at $300 its a steal. I would ask at least $500. Tim

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Banjo picker

When I built mine I paid $100.00 for those two hyd. hoses...I also see a fairlead that I assume goes with it... plus its got some cable on it....Hope you bought it...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Dakota

I bought the winch yesterday.  It turned out to be a back up winch in some kind of manufacturing process.  Very seldom used and in good shape. 

I built a logging winch earlier this year that encorporated an electric winch.  Good advise by some FF members made me change my mind about an electric winch.  I'll put it on this:

Dave Rinker

bill m

You will be amazed at the difference with that hydraulic winch on there. You may need to do some modifications to the mount for the new winch. It needs to be mounted on a 3/4 inch thick plate.

Banjo picker

I would watch the brackets were the third arm hooks up when you try out the hyd. winch.  Does it set down on the ground when you pull....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Dakota

bill m:  After looking the winch over yesterday, I can see I'll have to modify the mounting plate.  Banjo Picker:  I'll be winching with the unit setting on the ground.  I don't think my tractor weighs more than 3500 lbs. or so.
Dave Rinker

T Welsh

Dakota,Good to hear you bought the winch,you got a killer deal!I built a similar type of log arch for my tractor a couple of years ago,no winch,just back up to log and drop the arms and hook up and lift and go. it has served me well and I have not bent or busted anything yet! you gave me the idea of mounting a hyd. winch on mine now,I have aux.outlets at the rear of the tractor it would be pretty simple. but like said by Banjo picker, I would have to fabricate a pan on the bottom of the arch to anchor the tractor into the ground before winching. and then with the winch that far up  in the air,there is going to be a lot of strain on the top of the arch. but you can do anything with a welder and set of torches. and lots of bracing :D Tim

bill m

Dakota, another thing about that winch. Is there a sticker on it that tells you the wind in direction? This is VERY important. If you try to use it in the opposite direction it will destroy the brake pads. Also you need to determine if it is an over wind or an under wind for the reel in direction. That will determine which way it needs to be mounted. You can also turn the hydraulic motor 180 deg. if needed to install the hoses.

Dakota

T-Welsh:  Let us see pictures of your build/mod.  I took some ideas for my build from a winch that bill m built.  Lots of ideas provided by the FF members.

bill m:  I noticed that the winch is marked for both things you mentioned.  Thanks for the heads up on the rotation.  I'm glad to hear that the position of the hoses can be changed, if needed.  I'll be poking around on the internet this week looking for a PDF of the owners manual.
Dave Rinker

T Welsh

T-Welsh:  Let us see pictures of your build/mod.  I took some ideas for my build from a winch that bill m built.  Lots of ideas provided by the FF members.Dakota,Had the tractor home because I broke the grapple,I took some pictures of the skidding arch I built like you asked, Tim

Ironwood

T Welsh,

That is a NICE tractor and a good vintage, modern, solid iron. One of hte estates I did soome work for had two of those, that one could be one of theirs they traded in a decade ago (in Ligonier, Pa., certainly a twin)

That will certainly "giter done"

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

chevytaHOE5674

Funny how that vintage Case IH tractors all look the same from the little ones all the way to the 100hp ones. My fathers tractor looks identical only a good bit larger. But from a picture its really hard to tell them apart.  :)

Dakota

T Welsh:  I like the design.  Simple,  but looks very effective.  Thanks for the pics.
Dave Rinker

pineywoods

Arch looks good, just needs a hydraulic winch mounted in the bottom....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!