iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yellow Jackets !!

Started by Magicman, October 21, 2019, 10:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

I can't believe this.  A couple days ago, I was messing with my chainsaw and reached to check the chain under the housing and stuck myself with the chain.  Ouch.  I pulled my finger out and no blood.  I thought that was odd, and my finger started hurting a little more and a little more, started swelling some, to the point where I started thinking I may have been bitten by a spider or something.  So I went about my business, and pulled the chain cover off and found this cold and sluggish yellow jacket in the chip port of the saw.  Best I can figure, when I reached under the saw, he hit me, but since it was cold, he couldn't give me a real hit.  Let's just say he was sluggish enough to meet my chainsaw scrench and got flattened out little.  Retribution was swift. :D :D 
I hate yellow jackets.  Seems like they just enjoy waiting to ambush me.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

maybe if the cutters on your chain were just a little bit shorter... :D :D :D  @YellowHammer 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

LeeB

Them cutters got at least 2 more sharpenings.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Well at least the scrench is "STIHL" good.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

you guys are funny.  at least the stool softeners are not effecting your mind!!! :D :D :D :o :o :o 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

I agree - those cutters have plenty of life in them.  I don't like to run my chains that tight though - makes the tip wear out too fast, back it off just a bit.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Banjo picker

These guys don't miss nothing.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: doc henderson on November 02, 2019, 09:01:06 AM
maybe if the cutters on your chain were just a little bit shorter... :D :D :D  @YellowHammer
Hey, take it easy on him!  He's just being frugal!  ;) My old chain had some that were shorter - to the point they started bending...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

lxskllr

Quote from: LeeB on November 02, 2019, 09:29:06 AM
Them cutters got at least 2 more sharpenings.
Two more sharpenings?! Found the wealthy estate lord! I'd use that chain for a couple more months. They aren't worn out til the teeth are missing  :^D

Magicman

If I Stihl had Teeth I would be Husky.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

punny, very punny!!! :D :D :D

YellowHammer

Man, tough crowd. :D :D

Thats good stuff.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

My nighttime venture was a failure because after warming up a bit today, they are flying.  Heck, I just might mix up about 5 gallons of soapy water and give that a try because I really don't want to kill that Azalea bush.  I'll also get a bag of Sevin dust when I go to the store.

Magicman

I looked in my weapons arsenal and did not find what I was looking for so I mixed up a 5 gallon  dose of Cyper TC.  I'll know tomorrow whether it kills Yellow Jackets, but at least there will not be any termites there.  This is war!!   :-\

Southside

Shape charge! Done right the Azelia won't be touched.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

gspren

After doing many in ground nests the sevin dust is the only 100% always works but you need to give them 4-5 days to get the entire nest, about a half a cup dumped on the hole and they crawl on it going in/out and it goes back to the nest.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Crusarius

I never use that much. usually takes about 24 hours before activity is very little 3 days and there may be 1 or 2 left floating around wondering what happened.

They just have to walk through it and track it into the nest. Works very well. and quickly.

JJ

The glass bowl works just as fast ;)

K-Guy

Can't we all just get along??? :D :D

Correction made Bill :D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Crusarius

samandothers

Quote from: K-Guy on November 06, 2019, 10:16:12 AM
Can't we all just get a long??? :D :D

They through the first punch!

There is the turn the other cheek thing, but they don't play fair!

Crusarius

its funny. I have done that befire saying they aren't bothering me I will leave them be. Then they attack. That night they get seven dust treatment.

I do like the glass bowl approach to. Then you get to see the spoils of your revenge :)

Raider Bill

I'm surprised the gas didn't work. Always has for me.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

It has always worked 100% for me in the past.  I guess that the nest went back under the Azalea bush and I didn't use enough gas.  I didn't get to check it today.

Thank You Sponsors!