iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My first skidder...help!

Started by Ever Green, October 11, 2006, 06:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ever Green

Looking at a Timberjack 1984 240 A.  They say its tight and ready to go....the thing is I know absolutely nothing about it/them(skidders).  I do small logging jobs...work alone...and I'm starting to pick up more "top" business...tops for firewood.  Ther're asking 14 for the skidder...recent winch work and its chained up all around (tires at about 50%)...353 detroit...not sure of hours.  I knew enough to ask about tight pins and such but I just don't have the vocab to proceed....I need some help!

Thanks
Vince
Vince

beenthere

As with anything used, I'd plan to have down time and plan to have repair bills.
Just visited with Gary_C Monday this week, and he made mention of working now with his second forwarder, and made a comment about always being told by the salesman that the rig was in working order and ready to go in the woods. I think the way he said it, twasn't all so true and he learned differently when actually working it.

His harvester was what was giving him fits, and locating a welder to get him back running again was a problem for him at the moment.
The day we visited, the woods was absolutely a great place to be, whatever the activity was. I suspect with the rain/snow/wind today and tomorrow will make repairing equipment a lot less exciting.  ::)

Others can give you some good advice on things to look for too. Maybe barbender can. He was on earlier today.  I was wondering how the log cabin was coming along that he was showing pics of last spring.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

David_c

Price is fine. Best to look not ask. I would also bring someone if you can. Check pins in center. Check pins in dozer blade. Notice grease if good and greased good sign. I dont mean all over the place. Check fluids. Look for leaks. Test winch, tranny and brakes.

Corley5

How's the clutch ??? has it been replaced recently ???  Does it tranny shift properly ???  Does the winch free spool easily???  A few leaks from a Detroit is normal ;)  Do the chain links have a lot of wear ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

tomboysawyer

Quote from: Ever Green on October 11, 2006, 06:02:46 PM
Looking at a Timberjack 1984 240 A.  They say its tight and ready to go....the thing is I know absolutely nothing about it/them(skidders).  I do small logging jobs...work alone...and I'm starting to pick up more "top" business...tops for firewood.  Ther're asking 14 for the skidder...recent winch work and its chained up all around (tires at about 50%)...353 detroit...not sure of hours.  I knew enough to ask about tight pins and such but I just don't have the vocab to proceed....I need some help!

I know nothing about skidders, but I'll tell you a Detroit 3-53 is about the best diesel engine you could buy. Our 3-53 in our backhoe/loader starts at 10 below without ether and just runs and runs and runs like a charm. Real easy on fuel per hour too compared to our other diesels. She's loud and whines like crazy, but that's an engine you shouldn't have to worry about.

babylogger

my 2 cents is with what little i know..with a detroit engine you cant go wrong! they are very loud, like the other person said! it sounds like a beast coming out of the woods with a skid! not sure what size is in ours but my dad swears by it. i just dont like the skidder its in! cant reach the peddles, and it slides because you need to start turning a long time before it will! went over the bank too many times on this sucker! lol sounds great though, my brother just cant deal with all my pillows when he has to drive lol
love logger

rebocardo

Being an in frame rebuilt for a large diesel can cost $8,000+ it might be a good idea to have a real heavy equipment mechanic check it out even if it means forking over $500 for it.

Scott

Ever Green, I was in the same boat as you when I bought my first skidder. I still am I guess  :D. If you have a friend who is a logger, or who knows their way around equipment, take them along and get them to look things over. Try the machine out if you can before buying.
  If you get the skidder and find that you don't need the tractor anymore I might be so kind as to take it off your hands for you  :D  :)

barbender

Ever Green- If you don't know much about them you would be wise to hire a equipment mechanic or at least someone who knows their way around equipment have a look at it with you. The main things I would be worried about would be the engine and drivetrain as they are the most expensive to fix. The detroit is a very good engine and easy on fuel, as others have mentioned. I'm not real familiar with skidders that are that "new" :) Does that one have a powershift tranny or what way is that set up? A torque converter and shuttle shift is nice, but far more expensive to repair.  The old timberjack I've been running has a standard 4 speed, a high low range, and a shuttle that shifts the transfer case forward/reverse. Pretty primitive but pretty bulletproof too.  It all depends on how much wood you're moving, that should decide how much of a machine you need. For the amount I cut, I'd rather get one of the old ones that you can find for $4000- 6000 around here in decent running order. I really don't know if the price on the one you're looking at is in line or not, seems a little high maybe. I would think maybe more in the $10K range, but it all depends on what they are going for in your area. Check around and see what you find, don't get in a rush, and get yourself a decent deal. The only thing I'm an expert on is paying too much for stuff :) Beenthere, the log place hasn't really changed much from the pictures I posted this spring, ::) I get laid off pretty soon and I can get back to it.
Too many irons in the fire

Ever Green

thanks guys...gotta work on my wife now...got any helpful hints there?  Scot...the tractor is a 06 TN 75...the thing is a monster...I really want a skidder, but we'll see...any other advice is welcome...
Vince

jayzee

Don't be too tough on the guy selling that skidder. A new set of tires for it would cost about what he is asking. Once you get a skidder with a good free-spooling winch ( better yet a winch and grapple ) you will wonder how you ever managed with a tractor  !  The nice thing about a detroit is that they are relatively inexpensive to work on.  Buy more ear plugs ! Good Luck, Jayzee.

adirondack harvester

I agree with jayzee.  I recently purchased my first skidder and have used it now for only two days and I don't think I will ever want to go back to the farm tractor-- you will be glad you made the switch Ever Green.  Go for it!

Thank You Sponsors!