iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

todays project

Started by snowstorm, January 13, 2013, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

lite rain warm fog needed something to do. so i started swapping front axels from a f350  93 to the 97 f250. never did like that independent front and the housing on the left side has cracked twice. the dana 50 is coming out the 60 going in. looks like the holes in the frame are already there for the track bar and sway bar mounts. the challenge is the 60 has hub extensions for the bud wheels. it looks like i can use the dana 50 hubs but i have to use the 60 brake rotors and calipers. bearings are the same along with the axle shaft spline. anyone ever try this before?? 

Autocar

Well how did your day turn out ? If nothing else you have proved to yourself that it worked or didn't and the exsperance you got from this project will help you or someone else down the road.
Bill

snowstorm

the new ....used dana 60 is in.all the bolt holes for the track bar and sway bar were already drilled thank you ford. still have a few things to do. not sure on the drive staft yet. all the hard stuff is done. that interdependent 4x4 front  axle is one goofy looking mess laying on the floor. a lot of them broke the housing on the left side

snowstorm

its done. only parts i bought were the copper crush washers for the brake hoses and a qt of brake fluid 10 bucks and $20 to shorten the drive shaft

clww

I'll take a solid front end over IFS any day of the week, and twice every other day, too! 8)
What do they run in the F550, I wonder?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

snowstorm

Quote from: clww on January 15, 2013, 06:49:10 PM
I'll take a solid front end over IFS any day of the week, and twice every other day, too! 8)
dana 60

clww

I would have thought something bigger than that. :o
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

shelbycharger400

dana 60's are pritty stout!

You guys might remember it,  mopar stuffed them in all cars that got the 426 and 440 .

Ive done quite a few bearings in them back in the dealership,  maybe only one or 2 ring and pinion  due to pitting , from customers thinking their truck was a boat, and the axle was packed with mud.

haywire woodlot

Quote from: snowstorm on January 15, 2013, 07:39:37 PM
Quote from: clww on January 15, 2013, 06:49:10 PM
dana 60

I've got a '99 550 4x4, I'm not sure what it is, as it hasn't caused any trouble, but the front axle is a heck of a lot bigger than a Dana 60. I'll check for a tag tomorrow.
Dave

clww

That's kind of what I was thinking, too. Maybe a Dana 70?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

snowstorm

i have a 04 f550 4x4 pretty sure its a 60 in front.

chevytaHOE5674

I hope you used the 350 driveshaft under the 250? The 250 one will bolt up to the dana 60 but it has a shorter slip joint so under full compression with the dana 60 it can crack the transfercase as its too long.

haywire woodlot

Quote from: snowstorm on January 18, 2013, 07:10:20 AM
i have a 04 f550 4x4 pretty sure its a 60 in front.

On further inspection it is a Dana 60 on mine too.
Dave

snowstorm

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on January 18, 2013, 07:33:38 AM
I hope you used the 350 driveshaft under the 250? The 250 one will bolt up to the dana 60 but it has a shorter slip joint so under full compression with the dana 60 it can crack the transfercase as its too long.
had it shortened about 2" they were bolth to long

Thank You Sponsors!