iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A request to members.

Started by Jeff, April 24, 2006, 10:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

This may seem like an odd request but I think it could be really neat. I thought of this last fall but wanted to wait until better weather to put in my request.  Many of you know that Tammy and I have been building a "Multi use portable, moveable, unattached to the ground if anybody asks structure"  ;D  in our back yard. The thread for that adventure is found here: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=14094.0

Anyhow, there is a portion of the little cabin left unfinished because of my idea. I would like to get from as many forestry forum members as I can, one piece of wood 5¾" by 5¾" square, by 1 inch thick that has your username on it to help fill in this area. It can be any species, and your name, username and date or whatever applied however you wish, burnt painted, engraved, whatever but I would like to keep the species of wood identifiable.  This is where I mean to put them:

This way when folks are sitting on the porch, or at the pigroast, they can look up and see the different names and different woods.   It'll take quite a few to eventually fill it. Do ya'll think this is doable?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Don't see why not. Surely, somebody on the forum is in the wood business  ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Yeppers!  It is doable and should be done.  I know just what I'm gonna send already. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

getoverit

Mine will be right there with the rest of them. GREAT idea !
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

swampy

I can send up a genuine piece of old growth virgin heart cypress that was pulled out of the teeth of a very hungry gator that was stealing it from a very disturbed cottonmouth when I happened by and took it from all of them out of the Oklawaha river. :D ;D 8) 8)  Ed
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

Jeff

Swampy, ya gotta include da story wif dat one! :D  I really think it'll be fun and a blast to see them all come together. 8)

Furby

I'm in! 8) 8) 8)
Gonna take a little time though, what's the time frame?
I assume you want it done for the piggy roast ???

CHARLIE

I'll scrounge around in my shop and see if I can find a chunk of wood that will do.  But now I got questions!  When you say 1 inch thick, do you mean an actual 1 inch or do you mean the nominal 1 inch that is really 3/4 inch?  To me, 1 inch is 1 inch but to a lumber company, 1 inch is really 3/4 inch.  Which do you really mean? ::)

Oh.......and are you going to convert the measurements to metric for our Canadians and Europeans. New Zealanders, Australians and others on the metric system? They don't even know what an inch is.... ;D

And one more thing. DanG had a thread about tape measures not measuring the same. Who is going to calibrate our tape measurers so that my 5 3/4 inch is the same as Furby's 5 3/4 inch?

This is sooooo confusing.  I think I need Pigman to explain it to me in  terms I can understand.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Furby

Kinda had the same trouble Charlie.
Just went and looked at a piece I had thought about using.
It's 7/8" thick and 5 1/4" wide. :-\
Gonna look for a new piece. ;D

stumpy

Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Jeff

OK Charlie and furby are out.  :D

If I get some that are actually 1" and some that are 7/8 or 3/4 they will still be O.K. Its the 5¾" that is important.

Or 14.6050 centimeters  :)

swampy

I think I can remember that day like it was yesterday. It was a very nice morning not a cloud in the sky when the swamp rat left the dock. The plan for the day was to find a few logs to bring in and saw up for one of our customers. The water that day was clear enough to see the ends of your fingers pressed against the lens of the dive mask( that is a clear day of diving for us). While diving with the flow of the current I ran into a small log with my head (as the visiblity was zero) and decided to take a closer look. After finding one end of the log in the dark water I was going to see how long it was when all the sudden the log was starting to move. I looked into the darkness to see a cottonmouth fending off the gator that was trying to take the log away from it. The gator had the cottonmouth by the tail and they were in full battle to see which one would walk or slither away with the prize. All of the sudden the cottonmouth let go of the log and the fight between the snake and the gator was on. While the two of them were fighting to see which one would get the log I grabbed the log and started down stream. It did not take long for the gator to see what happened and came after it. I felt the gator grab onto the end of the log and try to head back up steam with it but I was bound and determined to take the log back to camp and saw it up. The gator started his barrel rolls with the log and me hanging onto the other end with all my might. After a few minutes he stopped and came over and showed off his big teeth as to scare me off but that log was mine. When he grabbed the log again I thought that this had gone on long enough and I gave the log a good sharp tug and took the log right out of his mouth. After we got back to the dock I noticed that there were a couple of teeth in the end of the log so I kept them as a reminder of what a person will do to get the logs to saw for a customer. 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D   Ed
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

treecyclers

What a slick idea!
A wall truly dedicated to the ingenuity, honor, and respect of the FF group!
Now that's a really awesome idea! I LOVE IT!
And, I spect that I can skeer up a bit o chunder from downunder the stash bin that holds the special stuff I keep jist fer meself and the special occasion!
This be one of them occasions!
Where shall I send it, oh expalted one?
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

CHARLIE

So Stumpy, how thick is your chunk of wood gonna be?  A true 1 inch or a nominal 1 inch, which is really 3/4 inch?  Is 5 3/4 inch on your tape measure the same as the 5 3/4 inch on Furby's and DanG's tape measure? ;D  This thing is confusing.  I hope Jeff clears it up.  I probably won't sleep tonight worrying about it. :-\
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

Wow!   Give Charlie and inch and he takes a klick.   :)

Furby

Well ya got me thinking now Charlie.........
Just remeasured with a different tape, now it's 13/16" thick and 5 3/8" wide. ::)
This is gonna be tough! :-\

swampy

Jeff, You what that rough sawn or planed????  Ed

CHARLIE

This sure is getting complicated.......... ;D
Charlie

Jeff

Rough sawn or plained. However you would like it to look when I put it up.  :) when you have your aquare ready to go, just email me and I'll send my address back. :)

Tom

you Wisconsinites are always thowing a monkey wrench into the works.  :D :D

isawlogs

Cool ... Now that you have brushed up some on your Français ....  Can you give me those mesures in french  ;D ;) :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

isawlogs

I am sure I can make something with those mesurements . Do we need to identify the wood , or you going to try to make an educated guess at what it is .  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

I have a pretty good system in place for wood I.D. :)  I usually look at it, sniff it, dig it with my fingernail, sniff it again, then say, What is it?  :)

isawlogs

Good then I will make one tomorow and send it off , dont clip your finger nails to soon or get a cold .  ;D

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!