iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A request to members.

Started by Jeff, April 24, 2006, 10:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Tim, sounds cool!  No need for any finish.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

Almost had another block for you Jeff, but the project went all Furby on me (dimensions way out of whack). I'll have to get another piece of wood and git-r-done for you.l

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DanG

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 06, 2007, 10:13:51 PM
but the project went all Furby on me (dimensions way out of whack).

:D :D :D :D
A new ForestryForum standard phrase has been born. 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dave Shepard

Is it going to be listed right beside "whack" and "grits"? :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

asy

See, it's done like this:

DanG, that thing went all Furby on me. Worse than a cold bucket o' Gritz...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

tonich

Quote from: asy on August 08, 2007, 12:40:53 AMHowever, just asking, but, are there any sort of quarantine issues sending timber into the USA? I know there are sending timber into AUS, but wondering about there...

Anyone have an idea?  ???  ::)
Is it save to mail wood block from here to USA?

Dodgy Loner

Hmmm...wish I knew the answer to that one.  I've had no problem bringing wood products back from my travels to Brazil and New Zealand, but I suppose a foreigner shipping a wood product to the US is a different story.  Anyone ???
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

tonich

Ideally, I would like to send some endemic tree specious, found only around here.
Since I have to call across the country to have those things delivered, I wonder is it worth stirring the things here.
Me and Jeff don’t want to have this precious things lost on their way over the Atlantic, do we?  :)

Fla._Deadheader

I can't imagine ANY problem shipping a small block into the USA. I carry samples all the time from here, and customs has never said a word.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Reddog

Just put a coat of finish on it and declare it a gift plaque. Do not declare it as wood, just a plaque. Most of the rules do not apply to finished furniture. Only raw wood products.

asy

Tonich, My suggestion would be to make it, and send it.

Declare it properly. Call it a Plaque, or a Timber plaque or such. Laquer it. Make sure it has no borer holes in it at all (as some timbers do, and borer holes freak customs guys out).

The worst that can happen IF you declare it correctly is that they'll confiscate it. And if that happens, Oh well, you've lost it (or they'll offer the Boss to have it fumigated, which is what they do here) then he can say yes or no (depending on the cost, which may be nothing, I don't know your system).

Chances are it'll be fine, and you can't get into trouble for declaring it properly.

So, I say SEND IT and see how it goes.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Furby

Quote from: DanG on August 06, 2007, 11:16:41 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 06, 2007, 10:13:51 PM
but the project went all Furby on me (dimensions way out of whack).

:D :D :D :D
A new ForestryForum standard phrase has been born. 8) 8) 8)

::) ::) ::)

Anyone get the measurements on the one I left this year ??? ;D

Dave Shepard

Five inches and a bit by five inches and then some, by about so thick. :D

Dave

Furby

WDH

Furby, I saw the chopped-off-at-the-knees one you originally sent, but I missed the new one.  It was probably only chopped-off-at-the-ankles ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

estiers

Quote from: asy on August 08, 2007, 05:48:44 PM
The worst that can happen IF you declare it correctly is that they'll confiscate it. And if that happens, Oh well, you've lost it (or they'll offer the Boss to have it fumigated, which is what they do here) then he can say yes or no (depending on the cost, which may be nothing, I don't know your system).

Fumigation is expensive here, but as long as there is no bark, and no bugs, there should be no problem.  That is of course unless you are using wood from a CITES protected species.  Glad I could clear that up!!  ::) :D

Your friendly neighborhood agricultural inspector.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Furby

Here's what I would do and sorta did. :)
Get your wood cut to roughly the right size and then lay it on a tin or some tin foil in the oven.
Put the oven on the lowest setting, mine only goes down to 170° or so, and let the wood dry/heat treat for a day or two.
It won't take all that long for a 6"x 6"x 4/4 or so piece to get hot through and through.
Then you can finish it however you like and when you declare what it is, you can honestlly list it as "heat treated" for bugs and such.

WDH

That is a great suggestion, Furby.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tim1234

Hope you found my square.  There was no velcro left so I couldn't stick it up. 
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

pigman

Sorry Tim, It was cool Sunday morning and we ran low on firewood. :( :D

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

tonich

Thank you all for the encouragement!
I’ll take my time and see what comes out.

PS. Thanks to Furby for the cooking recipe as well!  :D :D :D (J/K)

Weekend_Sawyer

Hey Jeff,

Isnt it time for a new shot of the tile work?
I would like to see how far it has gotten.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

Blocks...

No Blocks... ;)

Were a tad past half way.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm noticing some are kinda, well as stated earlier, dimensionally challenged... :)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Furby

So are some of the members.
What's your point! :-X
:D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!