iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A request to members.

Started by Jeff, April 24, 2006, 10:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Quote from: Warbird on July 25, 2010, 10:58:51 AM
..........Jeff, I hate applying poly, sometimes.  Had a bunch of real tiny bubbles in this coat for some reason.  About to head out to the shop and see if they settled out.  Might have to sand it down and put on another coat.  :-\  My goal is to get this in the mail to you by Monday.

If you get bubbles, then use a torch to apply some heat. Pass the flame quickly over the surface of the fresh poly and the bubbles will drift right to the surface and pop (disappear). At least, works for me.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

that's while it's still wet, I assume? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Warbird

Like making creme brulee?  Awesome trick.  I'll try it out next time.

Jeff, understood.  I'll get this in the mail tomorrow so it's there for the pig roast.

Brad_bb

It matters some...pride in your work and all....
Mine is done.  It will be in the mail Monday.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

Quote from: Warbird on July 25, 2010, 08:16:08 PM
I'll get this in the mail tomorrow so it's there for the pig roast. 

Do we get a sneak peek  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Warbird

Yup.  We just got back from the hot springs.  Heading to dinner.  I'll snap a couple pics when we get back, before packing it up.

Jeff

Quote from: Brad_bb on July 25, 2010, 08:27:37 PM
It matters some...pride in your work and all....
Mine is done.  It will be in the mail Monday.

Will I know what side is front and what side is the back?  ;) ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

You'll know on this piece!  We signed it on the back with today's date, our 12th anniversary.  "WARBIRD" is burned on the front.  The back wasn't sanded or anything.

And you'll get pictures tomorrow sometime.  Probably late evening.  We just got home from dinner and I had a glass of wine.  I'm going to sleep now.   smiley_alcoholic_01

Brad_bb

Warbird

Jeff

I've got two wood screws in waiting.  ;D

pigman

I am glad I got mine sent real early when the standards were a lot lower. ;)  Your's looks great Brad.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

I agree Pigman.  The neighborhood has gotten a littler ritzy  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Got to admit that some are pretty , all's I came up with was a peice of board that was to go on my log house .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Marcel,

We have set the standards low enough to keep the modest happy  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Its all right fellas. Once we get it all done, I'm goona take a belt sander to it to get them all the same thickness. ;)

Magicman

Ya could use one of those chainsaw debarkers.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

Quote from: Jeff on July 26, 2010, 07:35:21 PM
Its all right fellas. Once we get it all done, I'm goona take a belt sander to it to get them all the same thickness. ;)

As Ralph Kramden would say- "Hardee Har Har"

Warbird

I should have put it on a darker surface for contrast:

With the flash you can see the shininess from the poly:

Jeff, I'll send you an email with a picture of the back.  I'd prefer it not be posted.  :)  Also, I think I need your address again, so please respond to the email with it?

Brad_bb

Jeff's address is on page 40.

How did you do your lettering Warbird?  I drew mine by rubbing graphite on the back of the paper I printed it in and then traced the lettering to transfer it to the wood.  Then I outlined it with a pencil, then used a dremel with a ball shaped cutter.  I had to control the depth myself.  I dabbed paint in the lettering with an oak shaving as a paint brush.  Your lettering looks neater and I'd like to know how you did it?

Warbird

Well, some might consider it cheating but I hope not because it was slightly difficult.  When I made my nephews and a family friend some toy wooden swords, I purchased a wood burning kit that has stencil letters.  They screw into the tip of the soldering iron.

The down side is that once heated, the letters are not a consistent temperature across the face.  Also, each stencil has a different size and mass.  It took many practice burns to get it so it looked good.  I have a couple of blocks of scrap wood out in the shop with random letters burnt all over them.  :)

Even so, I still had to touch up two of the letters with the rounded burning tip.  I ain't tellin' which ones, though Jeff will probably be able to see it right away, as he's so gifted at wood burning.

Magicman

Woodburning  ???  Jeff is gonna use it for firewood  ???  Maybe a pig smokin chip  ???   :D :D

Looks great James.  You did good.   ;) :)

Jeff

Got your block already Brad!  Thank you. :) 

Jeff

Norm and Patty!  Thanks for the blocks and the bonus jar of Jelly!  With the new additions I'm estimating I need about 39 more to completely cover the space.

Norm

Thank You Sponsors!