iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A request to members.

Started by Jeff, April 24, 2006, 10:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there very big old growth oaks in Michigan that were harvested and sent to England for the King's navy while we were still colonies?  I heard that somewhere, but am not sure if it's true.  If it were, it would mean that it would have to be a great great great great grandfather, eh?  Or maybe I just heard a fairytale?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

trapper

jeff  got my name scribbled on my block.  left measurement to my memory and had to make it twice ::).  Do you have a favored finish coat to protect it from weather?. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Jeff

No stipulations on finish.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brad_bb

Bump!
Any status?  Pic?  I'll make another if I have to...but we've got to get these FF haunters to contribute a block!  It's not hard for goodness sake!

Jeff

Not much progress to report. Trapper's is the last on received, but it is still here on my desk awaiting for my ability to reach over my head to return so I can put it up. Two more weeks of immobilization then therapy starts. It would nice to have several more to put up along with it. If we continue getting blocks at the current rate, it should only take 3 more years!  :) :-\

timerover51

Quote from: Brad_bb on February 18, 2011, 11:40:52 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there very big old growth oaks in Michigan that were harvested and sent to England for the King's navy while we were still colonies?  I heard that somewhere, but am not sure if it's true.  If it were, it would mean that it would have to be a great great great great grandfather, eh?  Or maybe I just heard a fairytale?

Michigan was only under the control of England from 1763 to 1783, as prior to 1763, the area that is now Michigan was under the control of France.  The English did not do any significant logging in the area prior to the Revolution.  The main areas that England was drawing trees from for the Royal Navy was the Maine area, the Carolinas, and some naval stores from Georgia.  The primary focus was on tall single pines for use as masts.  Is has been estimated that prior to the Revolution, about one-third of all English merchant ships had actually been built in the colonies, as England had just about been cleared of ship-building timber except for the held for the Royal Navy.

SwampDonkey

That included NB and NS to and on NB's flag is a ship signifying the glory days of ship building. The Maritimes and Gaspe region as far as being provinces is much older than the rest of the country. Some of the cities are 300 years old.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Brad_bb

So there's no truth to the story I heard, right?

timerover51

Quote from: Brad_bb on April 10, 2011, 01:36:12 PM
So there's no truth to the story I heard, right?

That is correct.  The English did a lot of warship building on Lake Ontario and to a much lesser extent on Lake Erie during the War of 1812, but that timber came from Canada, not Michigan.  You really did not have any significant logging in Michigan until after the War of 1812.

Jeff

The Wood-Mizer Personal best contest has begun again. I wanted to enter the cabin two years ago, but didn't get enough blocks to finish. I thought for sure by this contest I would have enough.  Nope!  Didn't make it. :-\

Radar67

How many more blocks do you need Jeff?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Jeff

Looks like about 37. Seems like there should be 37 members yet out of 10,000 willing to send a block.

metalspinner

I don't think you have one from me, yet.  Should it be Woodmizer sawn or can it be Peterson sawn. :D 

I'll go dig deep for something nice and get it out to ya...
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

paul case

maybe a few of us could adopt a member for ya and get that porch finished? pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Jeff

I'll go out and take a video clip of it to show whats up there.  I think you should adopt a member that has not sent one and harass them until they do! ;D ;)

Jeff

That was an adventure. Icey came tearing past me and about upended me off the porch deck. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DECupADUZZ8

Raphael

I have a nice hickory one all sawed out and waiting to be autographed...
I know its around here somewhere   ::)  Probably the same place I left my mind  :D
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Sprucegum

I have been trying to get the prize for procrastiation but then I realized I probably can't spell it right anyway.  ::)  ::)

The first log I sawed was used on the roof of the outhouse in my avatar, in a board and batten style rather than shingles. It leaked a bit - in all the wrong places - so I replaced it with tin and used the boards for a feature wall in my cabin   ???  8)  ???

I saved a little piece, wrote Sprucegum on it, and layed it on a shelf last fall. I bet its still there  :-[

Weekend_Sawyer

I enjoyed that Jeff.
Whose block is that doublewide and why do some not have any writing on them?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

37 is quite a number of blocks. Was wondering where all you guys where at with them blocks. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Brad_bb

Very cool vid.  I hadn't seen many of those, at least not so clearly.

Jeff

The double wide one is from burlkraft and the cutting of the great redwood log.  A couple of the blocks were signed in pencil and are hardly legible.

northwoods1

Quote from: Jeff on May 03, 2011, 07:01:24 PM
The double wide one is from burlkraft and the cutting of the great redwood log.  A couple of the blocks were signed in pencil and are hardly legible.

OK , where do I send blocks and what dimensions do you need?

timerover51

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to participate in Jeff's effort,  but I am not a logger, and lack the necessary tools to make a block.  Would someone be willing to make one for me and if so, I will supply the necessary information?  I have greatly appreciated and enjoyed participating in this forum, and found it to be an absolute treasure trove of information and expertise.  I anticipate continuing to be a member for the foreseeable future.

northwoods1

Quote from: timerover51 on May 03, 2011, 07:56:10 PM
Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to participate in Jeff's effort,  but I am not a logger, and lack the necessary tools to make a block.  Would someone be willing to make one for me and if so, I will supply the necessary information?  I have greatly appreciated and enjoyed participating in this forum, and found it to be an absolute treasure trove of information and expertise.  I anticipate continuing to be a member for the foreseeable future.

Heck I can make one for you if it is just a raw block of unfinished wood of a certain dimension. That would not be a problem at all. I'm thinking burls and birdseye, and curly wood of the acer sachurum variety.

Thank You Sponsors!