iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Framing in the back of a sawmill shed

Started by toyowashi, September 26, 2021, 08:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toyowashi

I've had a sawmill for a couple years now and I'm planning on building a sawmill shed to better protect it. A lot of the examples I'm seeing here and other places online have the back of the shed framed in and sided.

My mill is completely manual and I work on my own. My normal operation is to load logs in from the front and push finish boards off the back. That's obviously not possible if the back of my shed is framed in. 

So I guess what I'm asking is why are so many of the sheds built this way? Is there something I'm missing? How are operators pulling their slabs and boards off and where are they stacking them in relation to the mill?

I would just not worry about it but I live in an area with a very high snow load. The idea of trying to frame a roof where both of the load bearing walls have a 20 ft clear span opening is going to be very expensive. If I can get away with just doing one side it would make life quite a bit easier.

tacks Y

Here is what I did.

This is my old mill. I use drag back now with pallet to put wood on also under cover and sawdust out the far side. Not the best as it is kind of dark under it on dreary days.

kelLOGg

My manual mill is under under a shed with 4 open sides.  I park my trailer at the end of the mill parallel to it and offload lumber on it. If I had made my shed twice as long the trailer would benefit from being under cover but as it is I move it to the trailer shed if rain is predicted. Plan ahead better than I did. 😜
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

stavebuyer

My only wall was the west end to block the prevailing wind. Shed roof sloped to the north. Mill was west to east. I used shade cloth to block the sun and rain as needed. One wide 18' wide opening to feed the mill. Opposite side I worked between the posts perpendicular to the mill. Long stuff went out the end parallel to the mill. Worked very well for us but KY seldom has deep snows to deal with. 

Thank You Sponsors!