iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Outdoor Coating

Started by shopteacher, October 06, 2003, 09:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shopteacher

I'm looking for the best coating material to apply to pine siding.  I'd like it to be a cedar shade and would like it to hold up as long as possible.  Anyone have any suggestions? ???
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Tom

I'm not suggesting this but some folks here spray their pine board and battan with automatic transmission fluid.  It's red.

They claim that it preserves the wood and apply it once a year for 3 or 4 years and then don't do it any more.

I don't know. :-/

SawInIt CA

I have had great long term results with Penofin...penetrating oil finish.
www.penofin.com

woodmills1

I think Sikkens two stage is the best clear finish, but I don't know if it avaliable in colors.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

pappy

shopteacher,

My daughter and her husband bought an older log home ( about 20 yrs. old)  two years ago and the previous owners had used this product.

They first used the Wood ReNew ,  I had been over to this place before and the place was gray from age.  I couldn't believe they were able to get amber color back!!

After that application they used one of the preservatives I'm not sure which one it it but it really impressed me, after two years it still feels like the day they put it on, it' still feels tacky.

I'm in the process of building a log cabin out on the back 50 and I'm definitely gonna use permachink.  I've tried other products and they are designed to protect but will turn gray in time.  :(

You might want to check out this web site.  8)

http://www.permachink.com/

termite
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

ronwood

I have been using pemachick products on my log house and they seem to hold up very well. Not real cheap but if they hold up it saves you alot of labor.
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Typhoon

I have a friend that has a log home. He uses sikkens, and only has to apply it once every 10 years!
He swears by the stuff.
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

shopteacher

Where do they sell Sikkens?  Could you use it over wood you first stained?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Thank You Sponsors!