iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood Question

Started by Typhoon, October 01, 2003, 03:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typhoon

Ok, this last summer I had 25 acres of woods lightly logged. Well, there are something like 80 or so tops laying in the woods. And as you know, the tops are HUGE. All different species.. poplar, oak, cherry, walnut, etc. Well, since we logged it, I have been working dilligently to get most of the tops out of the woods. I have gotten out like 12 so far. I have a tractor with a loader, and I am dragging the tops in pieces out to my logyards, cutting them up into firewood, and making HUGE firewood piles. Ok now for my question. These huge piles of firewood.. how long will it last?? I mean, am I wasting my time? Because, right now the house we live in is heated by gas, and we are in town. But, we are going to build on the 50 acres (25 which are these woods) a log cabin, and we are going to heat it partially with a wood burning stove/fireplace. We plan on starting the house in 1 year. How long is this firewood good for? Just approximate. I have also pondered selling some of it by the truckload. Thanks!!
-Brad
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

burlman

sell it now, your going to have more wood than you can imagine. I not sure what your market is like there but I'm sure you can get rid of it. What ever you keep split it up and get it out of the weather it will keep forever if it stays dry.

Ron Scott

As stated, it sounds like you will have more wood than you will ever use. It sounds like only the sawlogs were removed and no pulpwood thus the large tops making for a surplus of firewood..

Take advantage of any firewood markets and sell what you can at a fair price. You might start a continued firewood business.
~Ron

Ed_K

You should leave the majority of the top right where it landed, the tops will protect the new growth coming up from deer browsing, it makes excelent wildlife habitat, and as it rots down it will fertilize the new growth. Its great to utilize the upper bole as firewood, but only down to 4-5 inch.
 Ed K
Ed K

pappy

Typhoon,
You might want to split up a bunch and put under cover, you could build yourself a firewood storage shed like Chet. ;D

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=general;action=display;num=1064791085;start=0  

Even if you don't have the time to build a storage shed you could cord it up and cover with lumber raps and pieces of old metal roofing.

It might be a good time to get yourself ahead on your firewood needs. Cause when you start building you won't have time to put up a jag or a whack of firewood.
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

chet

Here's an interior shot of da ultimate woodshed. It also houses my Central Boiler. I like the fact that I don't have to be in the rain, snow, or dark to fix the fire. Also with it getting dark so early in the fall, it is nice to go split and pile in the evening and still be able to see.

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

J_T

Make you a stack wood house?? 8)
Jim Holloway

pappy

Chet,
You got the cats meow for heatin' your abode. 8) 8)

I've been toying with the idea BUT first I gotta install base board heat in the house. ::)

I got forced air now and it is just to DanG dirty  >:(

What a perfect setup  8)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

chet

Mine is hooked into the forced air system. Without havening the furnace in the house it eliminates the smoke and dirt. Also with the forced air system I can still filter the air within the house. I have  a 1 degree temperature differential thermostat so temp is kept very constant.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

pappy

Chet,
"1 degree temperature differential thermostat" ?? "filter the air within the house" ?? tell me more please, sounds kinda expensive, with heater and all. :-/

chet

Not expensive at all. The thermostat is an ordinary line voltage thermostat,  it just turns off and on quicker for more even heat.  I set mine at 72 degrees; it will turn on the fan at 71 and off at 73. I have the fan set at a low speed so you never even realize its on.
The air is filtered through the existing fiberglass furnace filters, then through an electronic air filter. Both of these were in my existing heating system before I hooked in the outdoor boiler.

Gus

that is an interesting set-up chet 8)
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Thank You Sponsors!