iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Signs of Fall

Started by chet, September 28, 2003, 05:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

Yes it is firewood time.  No snow here but I have been bringing home the standing dead to burn in the house plus chunkin up the dead and dry around the yard and woodlot.  Was 43 yesterday morning so started the first stove fire.  Last year first fire was Sept. first so will be mild winter this year. :D :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

chet

Gee, I didn't mean to ruffle yur feathers!  ;D
Wife and I bought our present home in '78. The house was heated with fuel oil. The tank was only 1/8 full. Sometime in the mid 80's , I figured I might as well get rid of the tank, cause we didn't need. It was still 1/8 full of the same oil that was in it when we moved in.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

pappy

Hey Chet,
My feathers aren't ruffled... I just had to put in my 2 cents worth on oil.  Wish we didn't need to buy it for our hot water.  Hopefully Termite's wish to have an on demand hot water system will happen sooner than later.
We've got a fire stoked in the small wood stove on the back porch (our camp away from camp) this evening.  Sure is comfy heat compared to what we get from our hot air furnace! :)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

chet

Mrs. Termite,
Our domestic hot water is heated by our outdoor wood boiler. It runs 365 days a year. The next thing I am going to hook it to is my wifes LP gas clothes dryer. Her kitchen range is LP gas too, but she says that STAYS.  :D
Sure do wish I could find a way to run the wifes car, my pickup, and my tractors with it.  ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Chet, you need to see whats new with the sterling engines. Heck, you could be using that heat to run an electric stove  and a dryer since the woodstove runs 24/360. Probably lights 2!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Boy you got a short memory dar Jeff. Dat was da first question I asked da Mizer boys when we were at the logging congress. It was one of their people working with it if my memory serves me correct.
The change over for the clothes dryer is ordered, its just a little water to air exchanger that you put in the air inlet line.

ohsoloco

My brother, his wife, and I pressed 17 gallons of cider yesterday  8)   Got five gallons in a carboy getting up to room temperature (I left it outside last night) so I can pitch the yeast for some good hard stuff  :)

Tom

We used to buy fresh cider in Ridgecrest, N.C. for 50 cents a gallon.  It was the Best tasting stuff.  We put it in a running stream to cool it and had to hold back from drinking too much at once.  Apple Cider, it seems, will clean you out faster than a dose of salts.    We'd be sitting there on the side of a grassy hill sipping from our jug when one of the boys would get this wild, wide-opened, stare and a  blank look on his face kind of like disbelief.  then he would set his jug down, get up and walk toward the communal bathroom (Egypt).  After a few steps he would walk faster and before he arrived, he would be running full tilt. :D  

My! That brings back memories.  We were campers, and later councilors, at the Southern Baptist Summer Camp for Boys in Ridgecrest.  I can't remember the special names for everything but they sure added to the fun.  The communal Bathroom was Egypt and the rolls of paper were called Scrolls.  If any of you also attended I sure would like to hear other special names of items there. :)

L. Wakefield

23* this am. I had got everything except the kohls harvested, and I even covered up the kale last night. Has anoyone tried dehydrating kale? I've read you can can, freeze, or dehydrate it.

You are making me thirsty for cider. I took a run over the border into NH yesterday and should have picked some up. It's on the list now. Mmm! :) lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

ohsoloco

The best was the pan that didn't have a container to go into (we ran out of milk jugs real fast, and even that 7 gallon carboy topped off in no time), so we just took the pan right inside and onto the stove...warm cider with cinnamon  :)

Thank You Sponsors!