iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magnum 880 Scam

Started by brettl, March 15, 2014, 09:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettl

Not a new topic I know, but this new in the box 880 scam has reappeared in the Southwest KS craigslist area. It appears they've finally given up on the bigger cities and are targeting lesser known areas. I've looked around KS and OK and left a warning post where I found the scam ad. That's the point of this post, that you might do the same in your general area and maybe keep someone from getting ripped off. For those of you who may not have seen this yet, you can go to the Southwest KS CL. It's the Magnum pictured new in box and has shown up all over the US on Ebay and cl. Thank you for reading this post.

John R

I see a MS 880 on there, is that the one?
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

brettl

Yes, my mistake. I'll edit. Thank you for pointing that out. Getting someone called out on a typo would be pretty bad.

deerslayer

It puzzles me how these scams can operate with impunity. Are there no law enforcement departments that hunt these scumbags down? It is definitely illegal to take money with no intention of providing a product. How someone can use this same ad for a long period of time and on different sites is beyond me. follow the money, throw the suckers in jail.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

Ianab

Scammers may not even be in the same country as they are placing the ads. There is some cooperation internationally , but there are so many bigger scams being worked that the small fry can get away with it.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

brettl

I think you nailed it Ianab. It is based in another country, I suspect. And like you say, small money equals low priority unfortunately. Not that $600 is small to me or anyone else that gets ripped off for it. A person does have to be gullible to fall for a scam like this but there are gullible people that are good people and it only takes us a few minutes to check our local cl and flag this ad. I'm not a do-gooder, but if I see a scam like this that falls within my area of interest, I try to do what I can to keep people in my hobby/sport from being ripped off. I hope others, with totally different interests will do the same, but I guess I would be the gullible one to believe that will ever happen. ;)

JohnG28

There had been a NIB 880 around here a while back for $600, wonder if it's the same? Definitely was sketchy.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

ohiowoodchuck

There was one around here that was brand new with a 42 inch bar for 600. Never even ran I figured it was a scam or it was so hot you wouldn't need gloves in the winter time.
Education is the best defense against the media.

Ianab

Of course if the thief is stupid enough to pull the scam locally, and use their own bank account and internet connection, then it's a relatively easy collar for the cops. Get a couple of court orders for the web site, bank and ISP involved, then go knock on their door.

Woman busted for selling non existent concert tickets and Iphones.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/9840850/Woman-pleads-guilty-to-Beyonce-fraud
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Al_Smith

I'd like to know who in their right mind would be foolish enough to buy sight unseen from somebody they do not personally know .Especially over the internet of all things .For 600 bucks to boot .

Good old jovial Ben Franklin once said that a fool and his money are soon parted.He also noted that where there is not good drinking there is also not good living . Just Ben being Ben .

pearsonm

There was recently a "mint 090" advertised in Ontario on Kijiji (I don't know if this exists south of the border but it is similar to CL) for $500. After emailing the contact, they claimed that they had recently moved to Italy, and that FedEx had possession of the saw and that it could be delivered with a deposit to an account. The pictures of the saw were off the first page of a google search for "Stihl 090".

I notified the website, but it stayed up for almost a month. Al, your right, it is someones own fault if they buy it.

Thank You Sponsors!