iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar width question, Husky/Stihl

Started by edge, November 02, 2004, 06:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edge

Am I imagining things or not.......it seems that when looking at the Husky and Stihl saws on the shelf the Stihl saws come with wider bars, and the Huskys come with slightly narrower bars.  I'm talking about comparable size models that both have 3/8" chains on them.  (say the 359 or 357XP and the 290 or 361)

Anybody else notice this?  What are the pros/cons of wide vs. narrow bars if there are any?

edge

To clarify, when I say width I'm talking about as you are looking from the side of the saw...i.e., from the bottom edge to the top edge of the bar.

SasquatchMan

A "skinnier" (less tall?) bar takes relatively less chain, for the same length of bar, which might be considered an advantage.  Also, a smaller bar tip is required for anti-kickback chains - one tooth going round the tip at a time.  

I agree with your observation - a local Jonsered dealer has a bunch of saws out, and the only one with a "full size" bar is the big 2165....  

Stihl probably is just trying to make its medium size saws look meaner by sticking the big bar on...?
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Thank You Sponsors!