iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut Fever??

Started by james04, January 18, 2012, 08:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james04

Quote from: WDH on January 23, 2012, 08:00:08 PM
You should be able to sell enough to get your investment back and have a good bit left over.

If it ever stops raining and freezes up. I may be able to use my tractor some day and get this puppy milled. But then we will get a foot and a half of snow that will stay till spring.

James

james04

Here is another one from CL. Is this one the exception?? Will these people get there tree cut down for free. Anyone on the list who does tree work is welcome to this. But please make a post and share with us.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/grd/2819214709.html

Hi James,

Here are your answers:

How big is this tree? - approximately 75-100ft
Do you have a photo? - nope, but we can take a picture of it if you would like us to, let me know
Are there obstructions? - no, except there is a new septic system to the right of the tree
If you stand at the tree can you hug it and touch your hands? my husband is 6'3" and CAN NOT get his arms around the tree. Also there is about 18ft of tree before the first LARGE branch.

Hope this helpfs
Rachel

Okrafarmer

I would not have paid that much for it unless I saw it either freshly cut, or better yet, standing before being cut. I bought two trees around that size for $100 apiece the other day and they should be cut down next week. One is about 20" ABH with about a 12 ft clear log and some salvageable leaders, and the other is about 17" ABH with about a 20' clear log and a few salvageables.

I found out I can cut through 16 penny nails with the bandmill and keep on going to finish the log. Did it once, anyway. 3 nails in one walnut log-- I finished the entire log before changing the blade. The lumber was a little wavy toward the end, but I knew I was going to discount it for the nails, and so on anyway.  Walnut is worth enough to risk a few nails, especially for a bandmill. I won't risk it for any other kind of wood, at this point, except maybe ambrosia maple.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!