iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing ONE white oak log into flooring...

Started by Piston, June 22, 2011, 11:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

Alright, another question before you even answer my last ones  :D

Should I try and find a kiln around me to dry the lumber? or will air drying it be sufficient?  It will be at least a year and more likely 2 years before it is even used.

Oh and by the way, I just google imaged some pics of oak and hickory flooring.  I am Reeeeaalllyy liking the hickory look when it is flatsawn. 

I still welcome pics though  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

scsmith42

Piston, regarding drying, because it tends to be cooler where you are you will be ok air drying the oak.  It's always a good idea to run it through a kiln a few weeks before you're ready to machine it, in order to sterilize the lumber as well as bring the MC% down below 10%.

Regarding wide boards, QS is best because it expands/contracts across the width much less than flat sawn.  If you have a 12' long 10" wide QS board that has crooked, simply cut it into two 6' long boards and straight line rip the crook out of it.  You should still be able to net out an 8" wide flooring board that way.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dan_Shade

I think they were pretty much all crooked.  I know it was a major PITA to install :)

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Norm

It's hard to get a decent picture of the figure but here's one I just took.

It really doesn't do it justice though.

Get some of the 7° blades for the white oak if you want although the 10's will work.

red oaks lumber

norm,
is that wood you sawed out and had milled?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Norm

I wish I could take credit for it but it was purchased from a mill in SW Wisconsin.

Patty, Joel (oldest son) and I installed and finished it.  :)

Piston

Looks nice Norm!  I'm sure it's even better in person.  Thanks for posting the pic.  I'm thinking more and more I want to try QS the oak. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

scsmith42

I made an interesting discovery recently, and it relates back to this thread.  In the initial discussion, several FF members that I respect greatly mentioned that their experience with quartersawn oak boards had been that  many of them tended to crook as they dried.  That has not been my experience, and it never made sense to me why my results (even if better) were different than others.

Well, today I found out why, and that is that boards will crook if they have juvenile wood present along one edge, and this explained why my results were different than Metalspinners and others.

Most folks operate bandmills, and the typicaly way that they quartersaw is to literally quarter the log, and then saw each face of the quarter, flipping the cant as they go.  This results in some juvenile pith wood that is typically present along one edge of their boards.

When I quartersaw with my swing blade mill, I ALWAYS box the heart and pull anything between a 4 x 4 to a 6 x 6 out of the log, so there is rarely any juvenile wood present in my boards.  As a result, the boards rarely tend to crook when drying, unless there were internal stresses in the log (and usually these boards start to crook as soon as they are milled).

Glad that I found out the root cause and figured that I'd share it with yall.  This just seemed like some unfinished business to me!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

pineywoods

Scott, I do the same thing. After messing with sycamore, I have about concluded that the center 4 to 6 inches of a log is maybe good firewood...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WDH

That is exactly right!  The juvenile side shrinks faster and harder than the mature outer edge, voila, crook.  I need to do a better jog of getting rid of the juvenile core, Scott.  I try to maximize every ounce of wood, and that can be very wrong if that last ounce is pith wood.  Old habits die hard.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jaybolicious

I did my bathroom floor two years ago in red oak.  I had 3, 12' logs all around 26- 32" in diameter.  I flat sawed all three logs to exactly 1" and made all the 12" wide boards I could. After letting them air dry for 2 years I installed them in the summer. The boards were slightly bowed length-wise as they dried.  To get them straight I found using a large plane and a chalk line worked the best for me, and a 6' straight edge too.  Amazing how flat you can plane a board and how quickly with a sharp plane. The pine floors I'm doing now are bowed similarly, the pine planes like a dream in comparison.  One thing about the oak is the ray fleck in center cuts, boy are they pretty.   
  The oak did end up with some shrinkage gaps, but nothing that bothers me at all.   

Piston

Scott,
Thanks for bringing that up and sharing it with us.  I haven't checked my boards since I stacked and stickered them.  I will check next time I'm there and see if they've crooked at all, if not, it may be worth me trimming off some of that juvenile wood you were speaking of, and re stacking.  I have a table saw sitting right next to my stack so it wouldn't be too difficult. 

Jay,
That floor looks great! 
-Matt

Thank You Sponsors!