iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my Retirement Home or "My First 5 Year Plan"

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, March 23, 2016, 08:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czech_Made

Quote from: WDH on August 11, 2016, 07:50:48 AM
OK for a guy, but you won't be able to convince your woman to live in a square metal barrel.

That is a bonus to be considered  ;D

isawlogs

They sort of really seam to appreciate the indoor outhouse for some reason....  ;) ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

customsawyer

You are moving along nicely. It won't be long and you will be sitting back and saying where did that 5 years go.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

SwampDonkey

Missed all the excitement behind this thread, until now. I also have a plan, so I know that you are anxious and excited to. Great place you have there Jon, and looks like your having a blast. Best of luck and good times ahead.  :) 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

A little catch up note. Nothing big but the last couple of weekends I've spent just tinkering around the lot. Any spare time I have I spend cleaning the area that will be the septic field. There are lots of down trees in there. The septic guy told me not to drive over the area as the field has to be as uncompacted as possible. So when I cut a tree down or skid out dead wood, I string chains together and skid them out with up to 50' of chain. In the 90+ degree heat it wears you out quick! I knocked off last Saturday and drove the 1 mile back to the old hunting cabin over old logging roads to find my brother and Wayne, my builder sittin on the porch with a cooler full of iced beer. We commenced to do some serious front porch sittin and world problem solvin. A good time was had by all!

This weekend we will be digging the footings.  I put the 2' bucket on the backhoe last weekend. The following Friday we will be pouring footings 2' wide 1' deep and then we can start the block work.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WDH

I could drink a beer by that Tree Farm sign  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Czech_Made

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: Czech_Made on September 02, 2016, 07:53:25 AM
Only 1' deep footings?  What is the freeze depth?

The footings will be 1' thick. I don't know the freeze depth, but the builder does.  ;D

Raider Bill

I also thought 1 foot was a bit shallow.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Weekend_Sawyer

Czech_Made

Quote from: Raider Bill on September 02, 2016, 08:47:28 AM

I also thought 1 foot was a bit shallow.

I believe Virginia has 24" freeze depth, MD will not be far off. Thats why the 1' surprised me.

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm building on my tree farm in the eastern panhandle of WV.

to clarify, the footers will be 1' thick at depth. Wayne told me we will have to put a step in the foundation because most of it has allready been dug into the bank and we will step it down where it comes up to grade.

Carson-saws

Man with a plan!!!  That is fantastic!...Really very happy for you Sir.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Weekend_Sawyer

Weekend_Sawyer

We spent the 3 day weekend digging the footings and bending in the rebar. We also used rebar as grade stakes for when they pour the footigns. We used just under 600' of rebar! The contractor is pouring the footings tomorrow. I'll go back up on Friday and we will start laying block.

Here's a pic of when we finished digging the footings.

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

coxy

you are so lucky you have sand all I have is bed rock when my dad built the house I live in half of my basement is bed rock he said at the time he didn't have the money for someone to come and drill and shoot it out so he built around and over it  :) :)

Weekend_Sawyer

Looks are deceiving Coxy, that's a mixture of clay, sand and rocks. Even though it was a challenge to dig the footers the builder says it makes a very good base for the foundation. And it's all about the foundation.  ;D

submarinesailor

Jon - PM me the address/GPS info.  I'm out that way about once a month.  Maybe I could come by for a looky-see.

Bruce

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: submarinesailor on September 09, 2016, 09:35:23 PM
Jon - PM me the address/GPS info.  I'm out that way about once a month.  Maybe I could come by for a looky-see.

Bruce

I'll do it! All are welcome to stop in!

Weekend_Sawyer

I spent the last 6 days shagging mortar and block for the mason and builder. I'm more tired and worn out than I have been in about 10 years. That was the last time I worked on a foundation!

Here's a morning shot. My brother Chris and I would get there before everyone else and get set up for the day and start mixing mortar.

When I left Wednesday evening we had 2 walls up to 14 courses and the 3rd wall was up to 12. We are going up to 18 courses. Man this thing is getting big!

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

....and that's a lot of handling.  ;D Coming right along.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!