iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my Retirement Home or "My First 5 Year Plan"

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, March 23, 2016, 08:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

That is a concern.
I believe that a membrane under the deck. A slight slope to that part of the floor and overhanging roof lines will prevent that.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Bricklayer51

Jon remember that your not getting younger think about humping food and all your staples up steps

Weekend_Sawyer

I know. Every day I'm reminded that I am not the handsome young man I was 35 years ago.

My house is being built into the side of a hill so the basement is a walk out, the front door will only be about 5 steps to get up to.

Weekend_Sawyer

The drafter has finished the plans and I am really happy with them.
He also included some drawings of what the house might look like finished.

Here's the front of the house/cabin. I havn't quite figured out what I'll call it.

and here's the back. The upper area/loft is the master bedroom/bath.

It's about 1800 sq ft including the loft. Not really small, I'd call it comfortable.
The next step is getting a structural engineer to put the numbers to beam sizing and such.
The first (I was going to write crook but I'll hold my tongue) one I talked to quoted me $4500.
I fell out of my chair and told him I need to get a 2nd quote. I am meeting with an engineer this weekend that my buddy Wayne recommended who he has been using for the last 20 years. Over the phone he quoted me $500 and Wayne says not one of his houses has had a problem due to poor engineering.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Hilltop366

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on January 12, 2018, 01:01:56 PM

Here's the front of the house/cabin. I havn't quite figured out what I'll call it.

I'd call it home. smiley_thumbsup

SwampDonkey

Looks good to me Jon, lots of porch rocking space.  I see you think like me, roof over it and bug screen'n. ;D Are you using jack posts from the ground up to the porch deck by the walk-in? That is what I plan on. 
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

samandothers

isawlogs

Looks good from here!!  I like the concept.   :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

The porch is fine.  Looks really good.  My kind of place.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

slider

I see you have screened in part of the porch ,good move in the summer time . I like your plan . I think you may be coming to the project this year ,looking forward to seeing you again.
al glenn

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: slider on January 24, 2018, 07:40:39 PM
I think you may be coming to the project this year ,looking forward to seeing you again.

Slider, I plan on it every time. This annoying thing called work demands a lot of my time.
I am very hopeful to make it this spring.

Jon

Weekend_Sawyer

We have recently made some nice progress.
My concrete guy poured the footings for the lally columns and the chimney and then my contractor and I put in the under floor plumbing.

The next step is to pour about 30 yards of concrete.
Waa Hoo
Jon

samandothers

Glad things are progressing!  I was wondering how things were going.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

Nice to get the ball rolling and keep the momentum rolling. 8)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Weekend_Sawyer

The recent flooding in my area has not touched my foundation. But it sure did keep the concrete truck from getting any where near my place.

SwampDonkey

Thank goodness you were spared any flooding at your build site. Hopefully things dry up for you to keep things rolling along. :) 

We could sure use some rain. All we get in sprinkles or showers of no consequence. Showers is all they have forecast for next 3 days, and not a high probability.

Weekend_Sawyer

As I said earlier, the recent flooding and 5+ inches of rain caused no damage to my foundation.
Now the roads getting in were another thing altogether.

There are 2 ways to get to my building site which is in a valley called Connors Hollow. The Little Red Schoolhouse entrance which has an old school house that is no longer used, and the yellow gate entrance which you might guess, has a yellow gate on it. Were into practical names. The school house way is 2 miles from the paved road to my place and was wiped out in many places by the storm. The little creeks along the way left their banks and ran down the roads cutting ruts that in some places were 6 feet deep.

The yellow gate road is 1.6 miles from my foundation. I did not see the damage to the yellow gate road because a logger and good friend of ours was working a piece of land along this road and repaired it before we got there. Man, that made me happy!

We spent the weekend with a skid steer, track loader and backhoe working the school house road. We got about 2/3 of the way done and it started raining again. So we packed up and headed for home. We will hit it again next weekend.

If the weather cooperates I'll have a concrete floor sometime this week.

Jon

samandothers

Bummer on you roads!  Glad the house site is high and undamaged.

SwampDonkey

Roads can often be a challenge for sure, especially with any gullies and steep slopes around running water off quick to streams or across roads. You'll soon have the school house road back into shape and ready to roll. :) Two miles is a good bit of road to maintain, then another two, that'll keep you busy.  ;)

No rain here since my last post. Dry dry dry.

Thank You Sponsors!