iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mightymite band sharpener "blade maintenance kit"

Started by coastlogger, October 27, 2013, 01:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastlogger

Am looking at one of these on Craigslist. What do we know abt them? Found some info and pics that say they are very similar or identical to Wright sharpener.Found some posts where owner was not happy with the MM sharpener but if its the same as Wright and there is considerable favourable comment on Wright sharpener I have to wonder if this was an isolated bad exp.....
clgr

NMFP

The MM sharpener is actually a copy of a Wright sharpener.  The cams that are produced by Wright will not fit correctly on the MM.  How many cams come with the sharpener your looking at?  Does this "kit" come with a dual tooth setter?  If so, you do not want it.  Not very quick and very difficult to set up. 

Depending how it was taken care of and depending on what you are planning to do, I would direct you to go with a wright or a cooks sharpener before going down the road of the MM. 

Give them a call at Wright and see what you can get a sharpener for?  It would be worth your time to check out their sharpeners.  They will tell you flat out that the MM is a copy

Keep us updated

ladylake

The Wright sharpener I have has treated me well, I have sharpened well over 3000 band with no problems yet.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

coastlogger

Yes it has the setter. Not too worried about that part as I have a Dinosetter Im learning to cohabit with.Its on Craigslist. Go to Adhuntr, "All of Craigslist"search for bandsaw setter its about the sixth one down.Have asked for more info on cams etc. NMFP any particular reason for preferring the Wright over MM?
Obviously the price is what drew my interest in this unit.
clgr

NMFP

Yup, its the same set up I had purchased years ago used.  Parts from wright will not fit on it correctly and like I said, its a copy of a wright and you know how copies go.   I do not believe they are still manufactured so parts would be pretty much almost non existant.

The decision is yours but personally, I wouldn't waste my money on something like this.  Look for a used cooks machine..... or even a used wright machine.  Much better quality and you can still get parts for them.

coastlogger

I did talk to a rep at MM they said there is only one 7/8 cam for their unit. Googled Wright did not get a website. Wrightool.com comes up defunct.
clgr

tommone

I also Googled Wright but website is banjaxed. Any Wright owners  who can throw some light on this?Tom

coastlogger

I did find the Wright ph nr and talked to them. Seemed extremely helpful and knowledgeable.
However I havent completely given up on the Mighty mite sharpener mainly for price reasons. The (less than helpful)rep at MM said they only make one 7/8 cam,ground for MM blades. Didnt seem too forthcoming on what other blade brands that profile resembled.Does anyone on here have that answer? I know that there are similarities/differences between blade brands and am hoping the MM  profile resembles the Woodmizer (10*) bands I normally use. Have asked seller to send me a pic of a ground tooth maybe I can tell from that.
clgr

bandmiller2

Coasty, contrary to what band manufacturers say I have found the gullet shape is not critical. On my Cooks I leave the 7/8 timberwolf cam on for almost everything, also had good luck with the Simons cam. Its the hook and set that really makes the difference. Usally after the second or third sharpening the gullets will conform to the new cam. These are my observations others mileage may vary. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

Same as Frank here, if I get the whole gullet by the 3rd sharpening I'm happy.   Also if that MM sharpener is like my Wright you can change the gullet dept  by changing the hole location on the rod that pushes the head up and down and to fine tune it shim it out or in some.   Most band blades profiles are rather close to each other.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

coastlogger

Excellent info from all,thanks so much.I was leaning toward buying the MM but there is nothing to lean on!Sold today to another buyer. Oh well.
clgr

Thank You Sponsors!