iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ready to purchase a mill

Started by Petfixer, March 15, 2014, 10:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petfixer

I'm a newcomer on the Forum , but I've been reading the FF and doing my homework and have narrowed my first mill down to several brands: WMLT10, Norwood LM29, TK1200 and maybe the Timbery M280. They are all within the same price range (+/- a few hundred $$) and the horsepowers are about the same. I went to the WoodMizer dealer 45 minutes away and they showed me the LT15.....should have never looked!!

I plan to mill lumber for a 40x60 barn, a greenhouse, shed, etc over the years out of southern pine and cedar.

My question is this: will the 10-14 hp be enough, or should I consider jumping my budget and investing in the next level?

Magicman

Hello Petfixer, and Welcome to the Forestry forum.  I have never heard of anyone removing a larger engine and installing a smaller one.   ;D  There are several members here that have upgraded from an LT10 to a LT15.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Small Slick

Welcome. The first mill I ever set eyes on was an lt10. I asked the owner who I know only because he is the brother of a coworker about pushing the blade through the whole length of the log. He said that it can be hard work.

I went with the lt15 and the power feed. I did went with Woodmizer mainly because there is a woodmizer dealer nearby. However I am soooooooo glad I at least got the power feed.

No one is kidding when they say manual mills are a lot of work. For what it's worth, having a power feed is a must for any type of volume sawing. From what you described I consider you to be sawing in volume for a while.

A big motor probably helps too I have no experiance with that one.

John

dgdrls

Welcome to the forum Petfixer,

Go bigger you will not regret it, and make sure you look at all the vendors on the left side
and top of the FF page.

DGDrls

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Petfixer......I'm gonna go out on a limb here........are you a Veterinarian?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 15, 2014, 10:34:10 PM
Petfixer......I'm gonna go out on a limb here........are you a Veterinarian? 
Now why are you accusing Petfixer of being a vegetarian.  After da pets are fixed dere's always meat on da table.   :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

elk42

Welcome Petfixer
     I have an LT 15 with 25 HP and power feed, only way to go.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

tmarch

Quote from: Magicman on March 15, 2014, 10:18:24 PM
Hello Petfixer, and Welcome to the Forestry forum.  I have never heard of anyone removing a larger engine and installing a smaller one.   ;D  There are several members here that have upgraded from an LT10 to a LT15.
Personally that's 1 reason I went with the EZboardwalk, bigger motors work better at my altitude especially.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Sixacresand

Welcome the Forum, Petfixer.  Power feed allows me to to rest a few seconds between all the other manual tasks of milling.  When I had a helper with the LT10, I sat on a bench at the end, set the head height and let him push the head back and forth.  I liked that   :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ocklawahaboy

I've mentioned in several threads that I waited 10 years to buy a mill I could afford.  I ended up with a very used lt40.  I could have a much nicer mill but each board has 0 financial stress attached.  You will be happier with a larger engine etc.  just balance that with the satisfaction of staying in budget.

Petfixer

Have been treating dogs & cats for 26 years, and enjoying it still! Now starting to have some time for hobbies!! Thanks for your input, need to do a little more research on a higher price point.....

m wood

welcome to you petfixer.  As soon as a prospective sawyer mentions the budget, I must remind them of the USED sawmill market.  This will definitely open up options for power feeds, etc.  I think I'm hearing you say that there's a lot of projects around your place needing lumber, but that you can take them on one by one and not rush them.  I have a manual mill, bought it used.  I was on a strict budget.  I believe I got 3 to 4 times the mill than had I bought new with cash.  Also, they hold their value as well as any machinery I've been around

if you get a chance, add some info to your profile.  Yup, we're a nosey group ;D.  But It may also help us help you
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

thecfarm

Petfixer,welcome to the forum. How much will this mill be used? Kinda looks like you will do the same as me,saw a while,build awhile,saw awhile,build a while. I suppose you have your own land with trees? How will you get the trees out? I have a Thomas manaul saw mill. No auto nothing,just a very simple mill, I have been pushing that head through the logs since 2002. Even had my 13 year old grandson do it. It must of been easy or he would not of done it. It does not even rake,too much like work for him.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Petfix, your back is well worth upgrading to a hydraulic mill with all the fixens, don't cheap out, we only go this way once. If milling doesn't tickle you right you can always sell the mill with little loss. Oh and welcome. Don't overlook used mills if you can find one. You didn't say where your from, I'am sure we have members close and you could try different mills. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Seaman

Welcome. Visit a couple of members, and play with their mill. MOST of us are pretty agreeable folks. I am SURE anyone with a manual mill will let you push for a while! 8)

Where in the world are you?
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

WDH

Quote from: elk42 on March 15, 2014, 11:05:56 PM
Welcome Petfixer
     I have an LT 15 with 25 HP and power feed, only way to go.

I agree.  That is a fine combination.  The powerfeed is wonderful. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Petfixer

We have a small piece of land outside of Auburn, Alabama with lots of pines and hardwoods. Will be building a house (contractor, not me) this year and I will be building everything else. Hope to build a barn, greenhouse/gardening shed, outbuildings, forts for grandchildren, etc...

Birchwood Logging

I'm might know where a good used lt40 super hyd is for around 6k
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

rimshot

I have an lt10 and love it.  The larger engine option for an LT10 adds about $400.00 over rthe smaller engine.  It's all I need and it cost less than half the cost for an lt15.  It really boils downj to your choice of purchase price.  The mobility of the factory installed wheels is  A nice feature on the lt15.  With a sharp blade the LT10 slips easily through a log

rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

47sawdust

You should have never entered this forum.You are a doomed man.If the humor doesn't get you,it will be grits,and there is always an up grade and never ending more equipment to buy,swap or borrow.My two cents-WM LT-15,power feed,lots of hp.

Good luck,welcome home,nice picture of you and dad.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. Say safe out there.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

I have been fighting the grit battle for many years. It's a never ending battle to keep them things out of this Great State of Maine. One must never turn your back and let thier guard down,or terrible unimaginable wicked severe things will encroach on the ground that I so cherish and hold dear to my heart. I can not let my Yankee counter parts down in this ever lasting and time consuming battle. Amen
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawyerBrown

PetFixer, welcome to the Forum, or, if talking about grits, the Foray.  I'll leave the sawmill choice to the experts.

Quote from: thecfarm on March 16, 2014, 02:39:23 PM
I have been fighting the grit battle for many years. It's a never ending battle to keep them things out of this Great State of Maine. One must never turn your back and let thier guard down,or terrible unimaginable wicked severe things will encroach on the ground that I so cherish and hold dear to my heart. I can not let my Yankee counter parts down in this ever lasting and time consuming battle. Amen

And, like EAB and other infestations, once grits have invaded, there is no known natural predator ...
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Larry

I sawed for 16 years using 16 horsepower and power feed.  The power feed added to productivity...I could sticker and stack while the mill sawed.  16 horsepower was adequate up to around 14" hardwood logs.  Speed of sawing slowed rapidly after that point.  A 24" hardwood log would be excruciating slow. 

Another drawback with small engines is the band speed.  As soon as the blade slows the band will want to create waves.  A larger engine can keep the band speed up even as the band starts to dull.  Of course this obstacle can be mostly overcome by experience.

The 25 HP on the LT-15 sounds like a wining combination.  I don't know what other manufactures offer and they may also have good combinations.

Welcome to the forum Petfixer.  Her cat has adhd, I need a good petfixer. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

dboyt

Petfixer, welcome to the forum.  I've been well pleased with the Norwood HD36, which you can buy as a manual and upgrade to whatever hydraulics you want.  It is a good, solid mill.  So far I've run it as a manual mill, and pushing is more an issue of time than effort.  On the other hand, you don't want to be too far away stacking boards when you hear the sound of the saw blade against a clamp!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!