iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodmizer hydraulic fluid

Started by Dan_Shade, December 04, 2007, 10:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

what type of fluid does woodmizer use in their hydraulic system?  my manual has a few listed, but I can't find which one comes from the factory.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Gary_C

I would say to just call Woodmizer. I think they use an Exxon univis J26 which is a speciality multiviscosity hyd fluid for all temperature use. I doubt you will find it locally as it is primarily used in aircraft hydraulic systems to handle the wide temperature ranges.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

MartyParsons

Yes it is the Univis J26. Dextron III will work. The Univis will work better in cold weather. We also have a J13 which is for realy cold areas. SomeWood-Mizer owners change over to the J13 to improve the hydraulic speed. This is because the J13 is a thinner oil. We have had customers use a 46 hydraulic oil in the systems and that realy will make your day worse. The viscosity of the 46 is way to thick and will make the hydraulic system functions slow. If you have a mill that has had this in drain the 46 oil out of the system and put in the J13 this will mix with the heavier oil that is left and get the hydraulic back to running correctly.
Thanks Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

LT40HDD51

We always found Dextron 3 works good. If it gets too cold for that, Id rather go do something indoors  ;).
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

bseago

we use moble 1 synthetic atf is real good in cold weather. You need to blead out old fluid takes 3 quarts max if you have a super hydraulic

dad2nine

Gary_C

AW 32 or ISO 32 is a winter weight hydraulic oil but it is not recommended for summer use. For summer use, an ISO 46 or even an ISO 64 in large high temp hydraulic systems is recommended. So unless you want to change the oil twice a year, use the multiviscosity univis J26.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

MartyParsons

If you are running a Wood-Mizer hydraulic system do not use anything heavier than Dextron III. There is a chart in the Wood-Mizer Manual on the proper oils to use at the temp listed. If you use anyother oils you may have issues, like, slow hydraulics, blowing fuses at the main fuse panel , hydralic pumps running slow etc. We get calls when it gets cold and I have been out on calls ( even in Summer months) with these issues. I drain the heavy oil out and put in the Univis J13 and this solves the issues.
Tractor hydraulic oil like AW 46 is way to heavy. I am not sure what ISO is ?
Hope this helps!
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!