iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer sharpener fluid question

Started by 3Dog, November 21, 2010, 11:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3Dog

I just purchased a used Woodmizer sharpener circa 1993 or so.  I am the 3rd owner and the second owner never used it and knew nothing about its operation.  It is in remarkably clean condition and I paid what I believe (based on forum searches) an ok price of $500 with a woodmizer setter (crap its a single tooth).  But I have seen Pineys (?) thread on converting to a dual tooth and envision the modification once the follow up pictures are posted.

Also I am missing some pieces so I will be calling Woodmizer for replacements ( angle guages, other cams, and a dressing stone.  I also cant tell just what cam I have on the unit now.  The only mark is a J on the front side, nothing else.  Thoughts?

Also what do you folks do for fluid in the winter?  Do you add vehicle antifreeze?  Can I add that to a water base product like the bottle of woodmizer coolant that came with the unit?  Should I use an oil based product instead?

I know there is a wealth of knowledge out there.  Any tips would be appreciated.
2002 Woodmizer LT40DSuper Remote Accuset 2, 1952 Allis Chalmers CA, 2001 John Deere 240 skidsteer, Nyle L200, Ebac 800,  and a fulltime job.
Citywood Treecycling

Bibbyman

If you're only planning to use it when it's above freezing, then you can just drain the water and mix after use and set it inside where it's warm.

As I remember, you drain and pitch the water and mix pretty often anyway.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

MartyParsons

Hello,
I am pretty sure there was only one cam available in 1993 it would be the 10/30 cam 010635.
There are other cams now available. 9/29, 13/29,4/32,12/28  around $ 40.00 each
Angle Gauges: 050372 multi angle $ 6.50, 050845 4/32 $1.41, 061786 7/34 $1.95  ( USE 10/30 cam  for 7/34)
Stone # P04570 $ 8.40
Marty
Have a happy Thanksgiving!
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

bandmiller2

3D,I've found a diamond wheel dresser, wile a little more expensive, works much better to dress wheels.The one I'am talking about has multiple diamond grits on like a "T" with the grits on top.I got mine from the now defunct woodworkers warehouse,but their commonly available. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

3Dog

Thank you all for the responses.  Looks like I got some "shoppin" to do.

I ran 1 old blade through it last night as a trial.  I would be willing to venture the cam is for a different profile than the blade was. After some tinkering, and several light passes, the blade now matches the pattern of the cam I bet.

Is this an acceptable practice?  I have several different degrees of WM blades that I have tried over the years.  I hear, and seem to agree that the 7dergree blade works well.  Can I set the angle, use my 10/30 cam (if indeed that's what the unit has) and regrind some of the many blades I have to 7 degree?

Thanks again.
2002 Woodmizer LT40DSuper Remote Accuset 2, 1952 Allis Chalmers CA, 2001 John Deere 240 skidsteer, Nyle L200, Ebac 800,  and a fulltime job.
Citywood Treecycling

Magicman

I talked with WM ReSharp yesterday.  They do not regrind and change the tooth angle on blades.  That would be too hard on their grinding wheels.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

3Dog

Well I thought it sounded way to easy of a solution to my dilemma. Thanks for the information.

Citywood Treecycling

Thank You Sponsors!