iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Memorial Day Weekend

Started by Magicman, May 22, 2020, 10:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Or maybe more properly called Remembrance Day. A time for us to Remember and to Thank those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our Freedom
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jim_Rogers

I get emails from the Governors' office telling me what days to fly the flag at half staff and the reason why, such as a fallen soldier being laid to rest in MA.
I got one this week reminding us to fly the flag at half staff from sunrise to noon time.
And then from noontime to sundown at full staff.
I just thought I'd pass that information on to all who fly their own flags.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

nativewolf

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on May 23, 2020, 11:22:10 AM
I get emails from the Governors' office telling me what days to fly the flag at half staff and the reason why, such as a fallen soldier being laid to rest in MA.
I got one this week reminding us to fly the flag at half staff from sunrise to noon time.
And then from noontime to sundown at full staff.
I just thought I'd pass that information on to all who fly their own flags.
Jim Rogers
Many thanks Jim. 
Liking Walnut

Corley5

My Grandma Whittaker always called it Decoration Day.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

samandothers

Gary_C

Here is a good article and interview to remind us of the sacrifices that brought us to this Memorial Day in this year of no celebrations.

POW survived hell, and became an inspiration

"Here I was, locked in a grimy, tiny five-by-six-foot cell, and he (the guard) was walking around unrestrained outside," Thorsness wrote. "But I knew I was the lucky one. In my 35 years of freedom, I have had a better, fuller life and had done and seen more than he ever would. A thought stuck in my mind that never left me in the years I was a prisoner: If I die now, I am way ahead of the game."
"Five courageous officers were tortured, but I think they believed it was worth it," Thorsness wrote. "From that Sunday on until we came home, we held a church service. We won. They lost. Forty-two men in prison pajamas followed Ned's lead. I know I will never see a better example of pure raw leadership or ever pray with a better sense of the meaning of the words."

Leo Thorsness, 85, died on May 2, survived by his wife of 64 years, Gaylee, his daughter Dawn, and two grandchildren. Like many of his fellow POWs, he made the most of his life after liberation. The better and fuller person he'd become was unfailingly good-humored, loyal, and a source of inspiration.

The humor came through in the way he spoke about life after captivity: "If the doorknob is on the inside, it's a good day."

The inspiration took many forms, but is clear from this motto he often shared — one he more than lived up to:
"Do what's right, and help others. If people live by those words, their life is going to be OK."

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

WV Sawmiller

I just finished watching the latter half of "The Great Escape". Great movie and I remember going to a military affairs lunch one time when I was stationed at the USMC Logistics base in Albany Ga. when they asked Col Jerry Sage to speak. He was a professor at a small college in Enterprise Ala at the time. Col Sage was in the OSS before it became the CIA. He was the man they patterned Steve McQueen's "Cooler King" after on the Great Escape movie. He was a big bald or shaved headed man with big hands and long fingers. He talked about making camel dung bombs out of plastic explosives so Rommel's famous camel corps had to sweep up behind them to keep from blowing the tracks off the tanks following. He was a POW in Germany and made several escape attempts. He said as long as one POW was loose the Germans had to tie up several hundred soldiers looking for him. He did finally escape and finished the war with the Polish underground. He said they had a "mutually beneficial working relationship". He said they would darn the holes in his socks and he would go kill some local mayor or other official collaborating with the Nazis. There are several books about him. "Sage" was one I later bought and read. A very interesting and impressive man. I'd love to have been a student in one of his classes.

I hope you all are having a great Memorial Day with family and friends and remember the meaning.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Resonator

Local VFW honor guard giving 21 gun salute ceremony, complete with taps played by 2 trumpets (call and answer). The church bell also tolled for those who served and are buried there. Freedom wasn't free.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Don P

I'm deeply indebted and grateful to and for those who gave all. Little Sis sent this this morning

I'd like for us to also remember those who gave all helping us. Of those who survived, many could never go home. I give thanks and remember them today as well.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

To quote Gen. Patton. "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God such men lived."

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Some more quotes:

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
- Ben Franklin

"Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves"
― Abraham Lincoln

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it."
― Thomas Paine

"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."
― George Bernard Shaw

"For the Bill of Rights is the guardian of our security as well as our liberty."
― John F. Kennedy

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
― John Philpot Curran

upnut

" All gave some, some gave all..." 

May God Bless America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave...

Billy Ray Cyrus - Some Gave All (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

customsawyer

Corely that song came out while I was stationed at Ft. Bragg. Yes it will always be Ft. Bragg to me. The radio stations around there played that song so much I got sick of it. Now when I hear it I just change the station. LOL
I know it's a good song and means a lot to lots of folks but I still can't stand to hear it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

customsawyer

www.thecustomsawyer.com

Resonator

usflag
"Our flag does not fly because the wind moves it. It flies with the last breath of each soldier who died protecting it."

- Unknown

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

WV Sawmiller

A family friend (He is the father of my son's best friend) is a retired coal mine electrician and pastors a local church. A few weeks ago he cut some walnut trees in his yard and gave them to me. (My son warned me to be careful sawing the side facing the house because the man's dad used to shoot squirrels on that side but the back should be safe to saw.)

While my son and I were collecting the logs the man told me his dad was a medic in Korea and that mainly his job was to go in after the battles with a truck and collect the bodies of the ones killed. He said one time he had asked his dad "How could you do it?"

His dad replied "Well it is like when you are preaching. Sometimes there was still one you could save."

Evidently sometimes the doctors would misdiagnose one of the wounded and he would still be alive and the few he was able to save got him through the incredibly rough times of picking up the others.

BTW - my hats off to the medical and chaplain personnel who went right into the thick of the battles to help even though they were unarmed. I could at least shoot back and defend myself or spoil the enemy's aim - they could not even do that.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

snowstorm

Quote from: Magicman on May 22, 2020, 10:10:03 PM

Or maybe more properly called Remembrance Day. A time for us to Remember and to Thank those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our Freedom
2th picture all started as the story goes. when worcester wreath had a lot of wreaths left over when the season ended. so he came up with the idea of giving them to military cemetery's. the next step was to get them hauled to where they needed to go for free. and that he did. at first it was a few local trucking co. then as it became more well known the big names in trucking wanted in. all this started in columbia falls me . yesterday they opened the wreath across america bed and breakfast for gold star families. at the headquarters and museum in columbia falls

btulloh

A neighbor made this cross and presented it to me yesterday in memory of my father. He was a WWII vet, Pearl Harbor survivor, and was in the Pacific for the duration.  47th Engineers, staged for and the participated in the invasion of Saipan where had an appendectomy done in the field hospital, did R&R there on light duty, and transferred back to Fort Dix six weeks before the end of the war.  This cross was a thoughtful gift and will always remind of him and what a good man he was. 

HM126

Walnut Beast

Beautiful and thoughtful! People do remember are heroes that protected this country for freedom! 

Magicman

It's a time to Honor the Sacrifices that our Armed Service Heros have made.

Thank You Sponsors!