iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEC

What kind of swallows ? Much too early for swallows here, but a few Tree Swallows have been reported in the New York City/ lower Hudson River area.

Onthesauk

Believe ours are tree swallows. 

Grew up in Montana with cave swallows at the river behind the house.  Up a little higher away from the water saw lots of purple martins.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

trapper

Heard the first sandhill cranes today.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Old saw fixer

I was in the road through my cedar brake this afternoon cleaning up ice damage and had carried a load of limbs off the path into the woods when an owl hooted very close.  I stood still and a second one joined in.  I never saw them, but one moved real close and hooted again.  I don't know what kind of owls they were.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Crusarius

Audobon society used to have a great tool for that. I am not sure if they still do, but it will play all the sounds of different animals. Really good sound clips to.

KEC

Mathmatical odds are they were Barred Owls, less likely Great Horned Owl.Google either and click onto Cornell's All About Birds, then click on "sounds". Love to hear back if you decide which owls they were. Barred Owls are the more likely to hoot in the daytime.

Old saw fixer

Thanks for tip, KEC.  Right now  I will go with Great Horned Owls. I hope I get another chance to hear them, it was definitely two birds, one with a deeper tone.  I have heard them at night a lot, but farther away since I am in the house. 

There is a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers that frequent our backyard.  There are woods behind the house with several old snags.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510

WV Sawmiller

OSF,

Try listening to these. https://www.bird-sounds.net/

I am also betting it is a Barred owl as they seem to be the most common and most vocal around here. They make dozens of calls beside the stereotypical one we mostly associate with them. Around here they get started and shake the woods with one on every ridgeline talking back and forth. They drive the turkey gobblers crazy in the Springtime when they get started.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ianab

Albatross are very graceful in flight, but when they land, sometimes not so much.  :D

Albatross faceplants to fame on New Zealand livestream - YouTube
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

KEC

Ianab, that was funny, poor bird out of its' element on land. Old Saw fixer, Great-horned Owls are noted for "dueting" where one hoots and its' mate hoots back on a different pitch. They are nesting now and often nest in nests made by Red-tailed Hawks, Great Blue Herons and other big stick nests. When I was a kid, I found a pair nesting in a nest made the previous year by Red-tailed Hawks. I contacted a bird bander who came out and climbed the big beech tree with the nest and banded them. The babies are quite big with big talons. There were muskrat and skunk remains in the nest.

Old saw fixer

After listening to two sources of bird calls, thanks to WV Sawmiller and KEC, I changed my mind and am sure I heard a Barred Owl.
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510

Rhodemont

And the Barred Owl said "Who Cooks For You".  
I have a couple owl nest boxes in my woodland.  They are 2 feet tall by 1 foot square and pretty heavy.  Need to use a hoist to get them up high.  Being territorial they need to be far apart.  They start nesting here late January into February.  One nest box is across the pasture 18 feet up a big oak a little ways in from the tree line.  I can see it (with binoculars) from a the yard.  A Barred owl has been sitting on the perch, I assume it is a male with a female hiding inside.

Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

KEC

Rhodemont, That's really neat, I'd like to get a pair to nest in a box. I made a couple of artificial stick nests behind my house with Barred Owl or Long-eared Owl in mind; no luck.

WV Sawmiller

Roady,

They do make that call often followed by "Who cooks for your too?" but they also make dozens of other calls too. Some sound like a chortle. Some sound like a cackle. Sometimes it is an abbreviated call just "Whoo". They are big and very vocal at times.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

KEC

I have a story. Quite a few years ago, 2 Saw-whet Owls somehow got inside a big hardware store. A friend and I asked the management if we could try to catch them and put them outside for their own good and they refused. Lots of birders went to see them. You could actually see them fly down from the rafters and catch mice off the pallet racks. Turned out, people working there had set up a bird feeder on display and filled it with bird seed, creating a bonanza for mice. When people stopped seeing the owls I asked a store employee what happened to them he said "they took care of it." Hopefully, they didn't harm the owls. Saw-whets are hard to find but really neat.

woodroe

Now I know where most of the 160 lbs of black oil seed went this winter.
Counted 25 Bluejays perched sunning along the treeline this very bitter cold morning .
Those guys can tear through some seed. 
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

KEC

How many people know that Blue Jays are migratory? Near the southeast corner of Lake Ontario there is a migration funnel where birds that fly around the lake in the Spring turn North. You can literally pull up your lawn chair and sit and watch the birds go by, Eagles, hawks all kinds, vultures, waterfowl, and songbirds. I have been there and spent 3 hours watching the show and there was a non-stop steady stream of Blue Jays streaming by.

woodroe

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Walnut Beast

Definitely pretty cool video

Walnut Beast

Quote from: woodroe on March 15, 2021, 03:54:20 PM
Counted 25 Bluejays perched sunning along the treeline this very bitter cold morning .
Absolutely it's amazing 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: KEC on March 15, 2021, 10:12:27 PM
How many people know that Blue Jays are migratory? Near the southeast corner of Lake Ontario there is a migration funnel where birds that fly around the lake in the Spring turn North. You can literally pull up your lawn chair and sit and watch the birds go by, Eagles, hawks all kinds, vultures, waterfowl, and songbirds. I have been there and spent 3 hours watching the show and there was a non-stop steady stream of Blue Jays streaming by.
That would be quite a site to see. Lucky you 

HemlockKing

Just finished building a bunch of bird boxes or whatever wants to inhabit them. I feel bad for taking out a lot of the decaying stuff so I'm building them cookie cutter homes now 😎 I bet lots of flying squirrels will reside in them since I have lots of those guys. 

A1

KEC

HemlocKing, Might I suggest that you make a way to open the boxes so when a bird is done nesting you can clean it out. A couple of drain hoes in the bottom and vent holes just under the roof too. If you put them in the woods you will get mice and flyers and some birds, but many birds prefer a box in an open area. Like to hear what uses them.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: woodroe on March 15, 2021, 03:54:20 PM
Seed bandits is my term for them gorbies. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: HemlockKing on March 16, 2021, 08:00:28 AM
Just finished building a bunch of bird boxes or whatever wants to inhabit them.
You may even get some blue birds if on posts about 6 feet off the ground. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!